S.Cal Best Fire/Forest Roads near San Diego

Hello Thumpers,

I just picked up  this BMW F650GS over the weekend and am looking to put some time on it on some local forest roads. I’d love to know where you would suggest? We live in East San Diego/ La Mesa area. I don’t mind running it down the highway a bit but definitely looking for the closest dirt I can find! 

thanks!

chris 

C51355C4-417B-463E-9892-1235783679B2.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Govt Cheese said:

Aren't you very near McCain Valley ?

Looks like it’s about an hour from home. 

3 minutes ago, Govt Cheese said:

By CA standards thats right next door. :cheers:

For sure. I’ll check it out. Looks like the Otay mountain truck trail is one of the closer options at just about 30 min away...and a nice ride on the pavement at that. 

• Like 1

Just down the hill from Julian off of Hwy 78 there is a nice little loop that takes you down into Oriflamme Canyon.  From Julian, go down 78 toward Borrego Springs.  There is a little store on the left.  Just before that store is a dirt road on the right.  That dirt road will go up past some mining claims, then loop down into Oriflamme Canyon and end on S2.  If you go right, it’s a windy road to I-8 by the town of Ocotillo.  If you go left, it will take you through Shelter Valley and you can go back to Julian.

Parts of the road get a little rocky, but you should be able to make it on your bike.

• Helpful 1

Once it cools off in the desert you can do the CABDR route, it's both scenic and fun:

https://ridebdr.com/cabdr-south/

image.png.113dde20653c6697dc665be78e5c80be.png

You'll want more aggressive tires on the bike for the route above, like TKC80s or equivalent.

www.advrider.com is a great website for the bigger bikes.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

McCain valley not where you want to ride that bike,big whoops everywhere,you'll kill your self.

• Like 1

Here’s a few. Bear Valley out of Pine Valley, Esponoza loop at Corral Canyon,  Boulder Creek out of Descanso to Julian, Black Mountain out of Ramona to Palomar, Fred Canyon from Kitchen Creek to La Posta, Otay Mountain from Pio Pico to Delzura.  Wouldn't hit Oriflame and Rodriguez till it cools down then there is always Anza Borrego then too.  And lots more.  Look up San Diego Adventure Riders, lots of others with big Adventure bikes on the site.  Last weekends ride

https://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26047-thumpers-adv-tours-otay/&do=getNewComment

Edited by crfxer
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I've ridden Grapevine canyon on my f800GS, that is a good place to start.    

45 minutes ago, Barry Ries said:

I've ridden Grapevine canyon on my f800GS, that is a good place to start.    

Yep, down Grapvine Canyon, up Jasper Trail, then down Culp Valley to the Montezuma Grade.  Not in this weather though.  A bit hot this time of year.

I usually start at the Yaqui Wash primitive camp where the 78 meets S3.  Because I live in the Imperial valley

A ride from 2 weeks ago. Started in Descanso to Sunrise Hiway down to S2.  Rested under the overpass by Scissors Crossing. Up a old mine road above and parallel to Banner Grade into Julian for a cold one and some Briskett Than Boulder Creek back to Descanso. 
https://www.relive.cc/view/v7O9y3xA7LO

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barry Ries said:

I usually start at the Yaqui Wash primitive camp where the 78 meets S3.  Because I live in the Imperial valley

We’ve camped out there before. Definitely a good option but hot AF in the desert right now

Hello guys / gals I'm getting ready to do the CaBDR, any additional info other than what's posted up on the BDR site, anything is helpful, I'm leaving San Diego January 28-feb 5, getting dropped off in time, going with a couple, then looping around and back to SD, we are doing hotel stays Vs camping 🤔

6 hours ago, Vicresendez said:

Hello guys / gals I'm getting ready to do the CaBDR, any additional info other than what's posted up on the BDR site, anything is helpful, I'm leaving San Diego January 28-feb 5, getting dropped off in time, going with a couple, then looping around and back to SD, we are doing hotel stays Vs camping 🤔

I am very familiar with that area, but what is CaBDR?

anybody riding next weekend ?

Ocotillo?

Xr650r ..

Could meet at the Chevron gas station.. 

For some hill climbs and sand.

20210102_095032.jpg.149038782026ebb6ee0bee9fc339b62c.jpg