Jump to content

Angled break pad advice


Recommended Posts

Hello, wise users of ThumperTalk. I own a used 2015 ktm exc 250 six days bike. Recently I've decided to change rear break pads along with the rotor. My problem is that one pad is somehow angled, it looks wrong to me - this space on the bottom begs for some kind of metal pin to balance the pad properly. Could the caliper be damaged and bent? I might've ordered wrong pads, though I searched them carefully according to bike's specs. 

Could you please provide any suggestions on what I should check? Thanks in advance 🙂

P.S. Looking at former pads I think the problem was there beforehand.

photo_2020-08-04_14-12-43.jpg

photo_2020-08-03_21-40-47.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, deff182 said:

Hello, wise users of ThumperTalk. I own a used 2015 ktm exc 250 six days bike. Recently I've decided to change rear break pads along with the rotor. My problem is that one pad is somehow angled, it looks wrong to me - this space on the bottom begs for some kind of metal pin to balance the pad properly. Could the caliper be damaged and bent? I might've ordered wrong pads, though I searched them carefully according to bike's specs. 

Could you please provide any suggestions on what I should check? Thanks in advance 🙂

P.S. Looking at former pads I think the problem was there beforehand.

photo_2020-08-04_14-12-43.jpg

photo_2020-08-03_21-40-47.jpg

Youre going to have to take the BRAKE pads out, and maybe the caliper off, so we can see if the caliper has been worn down.

This happened to me once, when I wrongly installed two pads on one side of the disc, and the disc ground into the caliper, leaving it angled like yours.

  • Helpful 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Youre going to have to take the BRAKE pads out, and maybe the caliper off, so we can see if the caliper has been worn down.

This happened to me once, when I wrongly installed two pads on one side of the disc, and the disc ground into the caliper, leaving it angled like yours.

Thanks for you suggestion! I will take it apart then and inspect more carefully.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the tab on the caliper casting engaged in the slot in the swingarm? It looks like the pin (3) that the pads slide on should be cleaned up to allow the pads to slide easier. I always put a very light film of waterproof grease on it before final assembly. Make sure the retaining spring (6) is positioned right, and be sure to install the locking clips into the pin (3) before riding.

Medium.png.9141d14507f904a5764f31b0b94d80ce.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Is the tab on the caliper casting engaged in the slot in the swingarm? It looks like the pin (3) that the pads slide on should be cleaned up to allow the pads to slide easier. I always put a very light film of waterproof grease on it before final assembly. Make sure the retaining spring (6) is positioned right, and be sure to install the locking clips into the pin (3) before riding.

Medium.png.9141d14507f904a5764f31b0b94d80ce.png

Thank you! I'll definitely look into cleaning and greasing the pin. I'll report my findings as soon as I get to test your assumptions, guys )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deff182 said:

Hello, wise users of ThumperTalk. I own a used 2015 ktm exc 250 six days bike. Recently I've decided to change rear break pads along with the rotor. My problem is that one pad is somehow angled, it looks wrong to me - this space on the bottom begs for some kind of metal pin to balance the pad properly. Could the caliper be damaged and bent? I might've ordered wrong pads, though I searched them carefully according to bike's specs. 

Could you please provide any suggestions on what I should check? Thanks in advance 🙂

P.S. Looking at former pads I think the problem was there beforehand.

photo_2020-08-04_14-12-43.jpg

photo_2020-08-03_21-40-47.jpg

See your inside pad hits the boss first before touching the caliper later, causing the angle.

In my pic the pad will never touch the boss, because it will touch the material on the caliper first.

I would bet your caliper has been ground out by the disc. You will likely need a new caliper.

Screenshot_20200805-015203_YouTube.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long story short, I took out break pads and the left side of the caliper seems to be worn by scratches, the piston is also in bad condition. So, I decided to save myself time and energy, and replace the whole caliper with a brand new, it's not that pricy afterall, roughly 100 bucks. Thank you guys for your attentiveness and prominent suggestions 🙂

Edited by deff182
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deff182 said:

Long story short, I took out break pads and the left side of the caliper seems to be worn by scratches, the piston is also in bad condition. So, I decided to save myself time and energy, and replace the whole caliper with a brand new, it's not that pricy afterall, roughly 100 bucks. Thank you guys for your attentiveness and prominent suggestions 🙂

"Brake"...caliper

Edited by Tony Wyp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...