What do i do with no starter repalacement?

Hi I have a 1980 Gs250t that I restored last summer after riding if I try to start it warm it get really weak , and we have to pop start it. A brand new starter cost 400 dollars to buy, and I cant get the armature new, I tried with little luck to find an aftermarket replacement. I want to know how do I test the starter, I already replaced the brushes.image.png.6434741557f857d76f5b3ee16fafce38.png

When you replaced the brushes, did you clean up the commutator and under cut the resin between the bars to improve contact? I would start there and see if that helps. Scuff pads or 600 grit paper work well for clean up and a broken hacksaw blade should work to undercut the resin. 

• Like 2

Do you have anyone local who specializes in rebuilding starters/alternators? , You should be able to get them to test it, possibly rebuild it.. If its weak turning over Make sure the electrical system is good, wires, contacts etc... might try putting voltage directly to the contacts, see how it turns over then.. 

Edited by WR280f
  • Helpful 1

What WR280F said. I'll just add that local boatbuilding yards often have good advice on finding local companies that build and/or test starters, alternator or motors. 

Edited by HM Magnusson

I watched this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=teating+a+motocycle+starter&&view=detail&mid=65D89B8C838CE6BB1E1165D89B8C838CE6BB1E11&&FORM=VRDGAR the guy in it cleaned of the marks, what do you use to do that? the service manual says to use glass paper. What grit do I get?

Edited by Mr.Vroom

7 hours ago, Mr.Vroom said:

I watched this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=teating+a+motocycle+starter&&view=detail&mid=65D89B8C838CE6BB1E1165D89B8C838CE6BB1E11&&FORM=VRDGAR the guy in it cleaned of the marks, what do you use to do that? the service manual says to use glass paper. What grit do I get?

I use 600 grit sand paper or crocus cloth and then clean with contact cleaner and compressed air afterwards. If the resin required undercutting between the commutator bars, I used a broken hacksaw blade to remove material. If a hacksaw blade is too wide, a razor blade or Olfa knife should work. I want to say that an undercut of .020” a .030” is sufficient. Been a while though and I could be off by a bit. 

I’ve probably repaired upwards of 200 starters during my years of wrenching (H-D used Hitachi starters that required rebuilding a lot more than the Nippon Denso units that replaced them in the 90s, especially on high compression engines). It is rare that the armature or stator is damaged unless the starter motor has been over cranked and overheated or the bushings wear to the point of physical contact between the two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr.Vroom said:

Edited by Grimlock
Double post. 🤔

As in the starter won’t turn the engine over to start it? Could be a continuity issue in the armature or stator that occurs when it gets hot. Resistance goes up with heat, which means it could be a connection issue as well.

It could if that is the issue. I would start there and see if that helps. If it doesn’t, there may be an issue in the armature or stator windings. 

Then if that dosent work how would I get a armutare parts places won't sell me just armutare I got to buy the whole thing for 400$ ! a starter for a 60 year old tractor is 150$ ! 

The armature can be fixed. You’d have to take it to a reputable rewind shop but they can definitely fix it. Problem is finding one.