150 vs 250 sx

Thinking about changing my 18 150 for a 2020 250

my 150 has a Keihin carb and runs sweet . 
how much quicker are the bigger bikes . 
my 150 isn’t lacking outright speed , it’s just I might find the 250 less tiring ??

or would I find the 250 harder work ? Or will it help me use the power lower down to exit corners etc ??

thoughts guys ?

Ride Mx mainly hard ish pack . ( not racing / run intermediate pace ) 

The 250 doesn’t need to be revved up everywhere you go and you’ll actually have some bottom end torque. The front end will lift up more often if you try to ride it like a 150. I have a new 150sx and it’s ok but I like my 250 2 stroke a lot better no matter where I’m riding. Oh btw the 150 is lacking outright speed.

Edited by Btoz

17 hours ago, noste500 said:

Thinking about changing my 18 150 for a 2020 250

my 150 has a Keihin carb and runs sweet . 
how much quicker are the bigger bikes . 
my 150 isn’t lacking outright speed , it’s just I might find the 250 less tiring ??

or would I find the 250 harder work ? Or will it help me use the power lower down to exit corners etc ??

thoughts guys ?

Ride Mx mainly hard ish pack . ( not racing / run intermediate pace ) 

Mind sharing your carb settings?  Elevation, etc. 

we are working in cleaning up the Jetting on our 18 150. Thanks. Thought it was good, I was wrong. 

1 hour ago, Poldies said:

Mind sharing your carb settings?  Elevation, etc. 

we are working in cleaning up the Jetting on our 18 150. Thanks. Thought it was good, I was wrong. 

38 mm keihin 

190 mains 

JD blue needle ( from 2016 JD kit ) 3rd Clio from top .

48 pilot ( sounds fat but isn’t )

air screw to suit 1.5/2.5 turns out 

12-25 deg , sea level and up to 2000 feet 

my “winter” setting is I go to 195 mains And to 1 turn out on air screw .

I dont touch anything else 

( I’m in the uk ) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, noste500 said:

38 mm keihin 

190 mains 

JD blue needle ( from 2016 JD kit ) 3rd Clio from top .

48 pilot ( sounds fat but isn’t )

air screw to suit 1.5/2.5 turns out 

12-25 deg , sea level and up to 2000 feet 

my “winter” setting is I go to 195 mains And to 1 turn out on air screw .

I dont touch anything else 

( I’m in the uk ) 

Thanks, it surprises me that everyone can run the pilot that rich.  We are down to a 42 pilot, JD red (leaner than blue) 2nd clip.  Bike is running a lot better than with the 45, but I keep being concerned about being so lean compared to others with 150’s. 

we have VF4 also, air screw is happy at 2 turns out. 

the weather has been screwy here, but it also seems to need the AS tweaked for am every ride.  Never had that with a Keihin before. 

Edited by Poldies

I own both currently, both 19's both are SX's. Yes the 250 will be less work in the corners, less clutch work to keep the revs up. That being said some tracks i find the 150 to be more fun, the difference in weight is very noticeable on the track and the 150 can be flicked around like a pit bike. The 250 will always be my choice if im going to trail ride though and much more versatile.

So it really depends on if you want to be able to take it easier on the track or not. The 150 if you're riding it to its full potential will make you a better rider on the track.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, Poldies said:

Thanks, it surprises me that everyone can run the pilot that rich.  We are down to a 42 pilot, JD red (leaner than blue) 2nd clip.  Bike is running a lot better than with the 45, but I keep being concerned about being so lean compared to others with 150’s. 

we have VF4 also, air screw is happy at 2 turns out. 

the weather has been screwy here, but it also seems to need the AS tweaked for am every ride.  Never had that with a Keihin before. 

Im running a 40 with suzuki needle. Ktm jetting chart calls for it on '16 sx. I tried a 38 too but went back up.  

Woods only. No mx. Upper 80s to 90f for temp average.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, seer said:

Im running a 40 with suzuki needle. Ktm jetting chart calls for it on '16 sx. I tried a 38 too but went back up.  

Woods only. No mx. Upper 80s to 90f for temp average.

Thank you, which suzuki needle?  Clip position?

I really appreciate the help, glad to know I'm not the only one that lean on the pilot.  Bike is used for small MX tracks, but gets revved.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Poldies said:

Thank you, which suzuki needle?  Clip position?

I really appreciate the help, glad to know I'm not the only one that lean on the pilot.  Bike is used for small MX tracks, but gets revved.  Thanks again.

Currently NEDW #2 180 40.

I tried a half clip leaner(NECW #2)and it was boggy. I need to try a half clip richer now.  Ive been running  a lectron and just reinstalled the Kiehin so im tweaking for my baseline.

• Helpful 1