XR200 Slow Return to Idle / Carburetor Worn?

Took my 2001 XR200R to my mechanic for a carburetor adjustment.  It was bogging down in various gears...  

My mechanic adjusted the carburetor and restored full power to all my gears.  However, in the aftermath the bike is now slow to return to idle.  I can start it and it will idle well initially but after riding it for a while it will not return to a slow idle, and instead idles very high, not good...

Anyway, my mechanic is a professional.  He fiddled around with the carburetor and then gave up, says the carburetor is worn.  

Anybody else have experience with this problem?  I'm thinking of buying a new carburetor.  I heard Honda still makes the same carburetor.  Is this true?  I feel that my old 2001 bike still has a lot of life left in it so I'm thinking that it might be cost effective enough to put on a new carburetor.  Are they still available?  Any advice from you guys out there?  Will a new carburetor fix the problem?

Thanks!

IMG_0213.jpg

Unusual on a XR200 but the symptom is usually from an air leak or lean idle mixture. The initial setting of the mixture screw is 1 1/8 turn out, then adjusted for best idle at 1300 rpm.  If best idle is less than 1 turn out or more than 2 turns out the pilot jet is incorrect or the float level is off.

Try turning the mixture screw out a bit and see if that helps.

• Helpful 1

It might be the needle or maybe the tip of the idle screw even. Id think the screw would go before the needle. I would check the air mix first like Chuck recommends. Sometimes the pilot jet gets bad, maybe scratched or some have a small spliter in them people clean them and knock it out. Dont give in yet. You got this. 

19 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Unusual on a XR200 but the symptom is usually from an air leak or lean idle mixture. The initial setting of the mixture screw is 1 1/8 turn out, then adjusted for best idle at 1300 rpm.  If best idle is less than 1 turn out or more than 2 turns out the pilot jet is incorrect or the float level is off.

Try turning the mixture screw out a bit and see if that helps.

What Chuck said, air leak or lean idle mixture.  I wore out two 1980 xr200’s and the carbs “do” wear out, but mostly give you rich conditions, not lean.  So check for air leaks... do the ether or wd40 spray test on different areas to see if the idle changes.  Might be something simple like the gasket or rubber boot on the throttle slide cap.  Carbs for these old bikes are hard to find.

check intake valve adjustment. If their is a tight valve adjustment it will not idle down and hard starting. I think the number is .004

The high idle is probably where the idle speed screw is set and the low idle is where it is not running right. Your XR is very clean for a 19 year old motorcycle. The carb sounds dirty not worn. Yes, check the valves the engine should be in good tune before adjusting the carb. Disassemble the carb and inspect the jet openings with a magnifying glass. They should be open and round. Put a fine wire, smaller than the jet size, and roll the jet on the wire until it rolls smooth. If you remove the mixture screw you there should be the screw, spring, washer and o ring. Don't lose any parts.  

The spark advancer (on the end of the camshaft) can cause idle down problems if it's sticking and not retarding the ignition timing properly as the throttle is backed off slowing engine rpm.  Spark advancers  need to be cleaned and carefully lubed, as well as checked for spring tension and wear. The springs need to freely rotate the pulse rotor (point cam with point igns) back to the stop.  If everything  inside of the cover is coated with orange rusty powder..........you done went too far without proper maintenance!

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hello folks, thanks for all the replies.  I took the bike out a few times on extended rides and most of the time once its warmed up it still idles way too fast.  Occasionally the idle will drop to normal, but that is rare.  So, I was going to rebuild the carburetor like most of you suggested and do a thorough job...  But, now I just seen Old School Al's post and will have to look that up in the shop manual as well as I'm not sure what that is...  So, thanks again.  Will let you know how it goes, but give me some time!  Thanks again!

Rebuild parts about $20.

Complete new Chinese copy carb about $22.

I've used quiet a few of the $22 carbs, all worked great.