2020 Beta 390 RR-S Initial Impressions, Set-up & Mods

Brand New. 

Installed the RE map. It's faster than I thought it would be !  About as fast as my 2016 430 RE was, but with no hit. Flat and lively power delivery.

Trans is BETTER than the 2019. Tighter feel, shorter throw, easy to find neutral.

Ergos are smaller than the 2019, but larger than the 2020 300. Can't figure out where dimensionally this occurs, but what ever. More room on the four stroke.

The suspension is VERY good stock, like surprisingly good. Very dirt oriented, very progressive.........just under sprung for me.

Stock seat is pointless. Hard as a rock, narrow, and squared off. It is now sitting on a shelf and will stay there till the bike sells, some day. Modified SC comfort tall for me.

Brakes are better too. Probably because they are new, have never been contaminated with soap and SC-1, and they are also sintered, which I ususally take off beacuse the get so hot they cause pad vibration (squealing)

The swing arm is longer than the 2019, but the wheel position (stock) puts the wheelbase as essentially the same. There is a lot more room to move the rear wheel back than before.

Plastics fit much better the previously. Air box is better, but still wonky. I guess they have fixed that on the 2021. 

Other than top quality protection, tall seat, low pegs, and bar risers, I will only be adding:

Mega Bomb + Q4, Enduro Spec full Lucky treatment front and rear, and Flexx bars with Cyra guards.  Oh, and a small tail section and tucked in signals.

Oh, and Red plastics with matching graphics. 

The 300RE has been 'de-accessorized', including swaping the wheels to the 390 (to save the Tubliss), and is on the dealer floor. 

I am very surprised it has not sold already?  

My KTM 450 XCF is also going away. Gonna be 'Beta only' for a while................

20200820_064831_resized.jpg

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 3

It appears the brand new bike has a bad TPS. That's what it seems like to me.  It's back at the dealership.

Re-mapping did not change the symptoms:

At 1/8 throttle at 2000-3000 rpms, the bike hesitates, and will not climb in rpms, until you 'stab' through it with the  throttle.

Happens in all gears, always at the same rpm range and throttle range.  The more load, the worse it feels.

It took the dealer a couple of rides before he could 'feel' it.   Without a hill to test it on, you have to pay pretty close attention.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Brand New. 

Installed the RE map. It's faster than I thought it would be !  About as fast as my 2016 430 RE was, but with no hit. Flat and lively power delivery.

Trans is BETTER than the 2019. Tighter feel, shorter throw, easy to find neutral.

Ergos are smaller than the 2019, but larger than the 2020 300. Can't figure out where dimensionally this occurs, but what ever. More room on the four stroke.

The suspension is VERY good stock, like surprisingly good. Very dirt oriented, very progressive.........just under sprung for me.

Stock seat is pointless. Hard as a rock, narrow, and squared off. It is now sitting on a shelf and will stay there till the bike sells, some day. Modified SC comfort tall for me.

Brakes are better too. Probably because they are new, have never been contaminated with soap and SC-1, and they are also sintered, which I ususally take off beacuse the get so hot they cause pad vibration (squealing)

The swing arm is longer than the 2019, but the wheel position (stock) puts the wheelbase as essentially the same. There is a lot more room to move the rear wheel back than before.

Plastics fit much better the previously. Air box is better, but still wonky. I guess they have fixed that on the 2021. 

Other than top quality protection, tall seat, low pegs, and bar risers, I will only be adding:

Mega Bomb + Q4, Enduro Spec full Lucky treatment front and rear, and Flexx bars with Cyra guards.  Oh, and a small tail section and tucked in signals.

Oh, and Red plastics with matching graphics. 

The 300RE has been 'de-accessorized', including swaping the wheels to the 390 (to save the Tubliss), and is on the dealer floor. 

I am very surprised it has not sold already?  

My KTM 450 XCF is also going away. Gonna be 'Beta only' for a while................

20200820_064831_resized.jpg

Dude, that back shot is looking noice!!  Was the beta easy to plate in CA?  

3 hours ago, Craigster1952 said:

I picked up mine in June. Only complaint is with the low fuel light. Comes on way too early.

Yeah, at night it's like a tiny flash-bulb in your face....

.....my idiot lights will be disconnected as soon as I get the cockpit stuff finalized

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NNJR4C/ref=pe_386300_442618370_TE_dp_i1#ace-9766277718

Edited by KRAYNIAL

5 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

It appears the brand new bike has a bad TPS. That's what it seems like to me.  It's back at the dealership.

At 1/8 throttle at 2000-3000 rpms, the bike hesitates, and will not climb in rpms, until you 'stab' through it with the  throttle.

Happens in all gears, always at the same rpm range and throttle range.  The more load, the worse it feels.

It took the dealer a couple of rides before he could 'feel' it.   Without a hill to test it on, you have to pay pretty close attention.

Wow this really sounds like 2020 Beta 390 new bike break-in symptoms to me. I really had the same things going on and went back to the dealer 2 times and had the map loaded 3 times.  It has been doing better on longer rides now, but I never run it in rain mode because rain mode sucks big time.  The bike sounds kind of muffled at times and just doesn't really want to go until its good and warmed up and rode for about an hr or more. And yes if there is a slight hill its just blah and will stall out very easy, I have fell over 3 times now because of it.  There is another guy that has a new 390, I think he is down in Tennessee  and did a video and also stated similar issues, also thought it did not run right in rain mode and was always ridding in sun mode,  after about 30 hrs he now states that rain mode is his favorite.  My 350 for some reason runs quite a bit better then my 390, but rain mode is still kind of doggy and the engine has more vibes and engine noise then the 390, but the 390 engine sounds super tight and quite??  Anyway I know all this sounds like there is no way I would buy a Beta, but really both bikes are keepers and think there breaking in just fine.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Doh!!

Another reason to buy a KTM/Husky plated 350-500-501 et cetera...?

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Was the same hesitation present with the RR-s map?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, motoxgiant said:

Was the same hesitation present with the RR-s map?

Yup.  Exactly the same sensation.  

If you never lug the motor at all, including street cruising in a slightly low gear, you would not notice it.

As soon as you upshift into the next gear and slowly turn the throttle, you 'drop into' the dead spot, and it will not climb/rev out unless you 'stab' the throttle right past it.

Feels just like an electrical type miss, but it's at the same rpm and same throttle position only, so I can't see it being anything but the TPS.......or a corrupt ECU....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Doh!!

Another reason to buy a KTM/Husky plated 350-500-501 et cetera...?

My 500 did run pretty well right from the showroom.  I still put a 1k ecu in it though lol!  I guess they all have room for improvement.  

The beta having ecu issues is surprising considering I hear they are less restricted by the EPA.  You figure they would know how to give it perfect ratios by now.  Plus, they don’t need to recalculate for smog restrictions (as much as KTM does)?

Edited by NewEngland400

7 minutes ago, NewEngland400 said:

My 500 did run pretty well right from the showroom.  I still put a 1k ecu in it though lol!  I guess they all have room for improvement.  

The beta having ecu issues is surprising considering I hear they are less restricted by the EPA.  You figure they would know how to give it perfect ratios by now.  Plus, they don’t need to recalculate for smog restrictions (as much as KTM does).

To be honest I did the same thing with my 350 - was required when I had it converted to a 390. Runs perfectly now. Ecu’s can be glitchy and it appears that Krannie may have gotten one of those.

1 hour ago, NewEngland400 said:

The beta having ecu issues is surprising

They don't.  Owned the '17 390rrs which was flawless right off showroom floor.  Like any new bike, the motor is tight when new and after getting hours on them, they run perfect. I had  to do the passive reset a few times when new, but after 20hrs I only had to do it when going to extreme temperature or elevation changes.  

This is not a ECU issue,  the motor will loosen up. Anyone who's owned one understands the process.  

It's unfortunate that new or unaware Beta folks come here and read threads like this because it's NOT indicative of the experience that the vast majority of Beta owners have.  

The only thing that is a common occurrence here is that the OP has issues with every Beta he's owned that do not exist for 99.9% of the rest of the Beta owner group.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

They don't.  Owned the '17 390rrs which was flawless right off showroom floor.  Like any new bike, the motor is tight when new and after getting hours on them, they run perfect. I had  to do the passive reset a few times when new, but after 20hrs I only had to do it when going to extreme temperature or elevation changes.  

This is not a ECU issue,  the motor will loosen up. Anyone who's owned one understands the process.  

It's unfortunate that new or unaware Beta folks come here and read threads like this because it's NOT indicative of the experience that the vast majority of Beta owners have.  

The only thing that is a common occurrence here is that the OP has issues with every Beta he's owned that do not exist for 99.9% of the rest of the Beta owner group.  

This has nothing to do with a a 'tight motor'. 

You make me SO ANGRY with your egocentric posts !

It's unfortunate that unaware posters like you come here and respond to threads like this, and tear down the basic passing on of information.

It's unfortunate that posters like you cannot help yourself but to post veiled insults and site every single thing you don't understand as the poster being 'a problem' owner.

Why must you insist on continuing to pollute every thread I post ?

Why can't you control yourself ?

Many others would like to know what I have experienced, and how to solve it.    Why can't you accept that?

I am reporting you for trolling, as you contributed NOTHING but your ego, again.

Next you will try and defend yourself, and further explain your 'position'.  

24 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something familiar happening here. :thinking:

Really? Be specific.  

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to 2020 Beta 390 RR-S Initial Impressions, Set-up & Mods
  • NoFiddyPilot locked and unlocked this topic