KRAYNIAL

Beta4Stroke 2020 Beta 390 RR-S Initial Impressions, Set-up & Mods

Back to the topic....    my 19 390RRS ran like crap initially.  It was tight, stalled at low rpm's, ran a little hot and didn't idle smoothly....  It was suggested to me that it would get better and it did.

That being said... I have about 40 hours on it now (shameful!) and I often run on the rain map.  Its just my preference.    But I have noticed that there are times where it doesn't pull as cleanly or as strongly from down low as I would have expected.    I too have noticed this when going up a hill and I want to throttle my way up, but can't.    I just assumed that I was either in the wrong gear or that I was too lazy and let my rpm's drop too low.    

Don't get me wrong, I've made it up every hill with power to spare.   but I've had to spool up the engine by stabbing the clutch and twisting the throttle to get me to the top of the hills, even when I assumed that throttle only would do it.    Maybe my expectations are not realistic with the smaller motor at lower rpm's.  I use the 13t front sprocket for everything now, which helps me be more lazy with the clutch work.

Krannie's comments has me thinking about this.   My frame of reference is my former 500exc.   

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

Back to the topic....    my 19 390RRS ran like crap initially.  It was tight, stalled at low rpm's, ran a little hot and didn't idle smoothly....  It was suggested to me that it would get better and it did.

That being said... I have about 40 hours on it now (shameful!) and I often run on the rain map.  Its just my preference.    But I have noticed that there are times where it doesn't pull as cleanly or as strongly from down low as I would have expected.    I too have noticed this when going up a hill and I want to throttle my way up, but can't.    I just assumed that I was either in the wrong gear or that I was too lazy and let my rpm's drop too low.    

Don't get me wrong, I've made it up every hill with power to spare.   but I've had to spool up the engine by stabbing the clutch and twisting the throttle to get me to the top of the hills, even when I assumed that throttle only would do it.    Maybe my expectations are not realistic with the smaller motor at lower rpm's.  I use the 13t front sprocket for everything now, which helps me be more lazy with the clutch work.

Krannie's comments has me thinking about this.   My frame of reference is my former 500exc.   

Good insights! 

I had a similar experience the first week of owning my 390RRS. I did the initial break in ride, then took it to NE Oregon for a 9 day riding trip. 

On day 2 of that trip, I was experiencing erratic idle,  occasional stalling and some overheating.  I emailed Beta USA. 3 things were communicated from Tim: 

1) remove the green emissions cap from inside the fuel cap. 

2) Do a proper reset. 

3) let the bike warm up for several minutes before each ride. 

I did each of these and the 390 ran perfect the remaining time. Tim also indicated the motor would loosen up after 20-30 hours, which I did and they throttle response and power delivery increased after that time. 

I was diligent in letting the bike warm up every ride after except one.  

I rode in October at high elevation on a cold snowy day. I did not let the bike warm up and had a few stalls and the idle was erratic all day. I rode the following day and did a reset before riding and bike went back to normal operations. 

I had one more ride with erratic idle. I riding at 6000' very hot conditions.  I had the week prior been riding at 500' normal temps. I did warm up the bike before this ride, but all day the idle would slightly hang then drop to normal with a quick throttle stab. Really frustrating as we rode nothing but tight trees and corners all day.

We rode the following day and I did a full reset and the hanging idle was gone. 

Lessons learned were to ALWAYS let the bike warm up before every ride. Do a full reset if big changes to elevation or temperatures.

As far as hills, the 390rrs, from my experience, isn't much different than many other bikes I've owned.  It has excellent smooth linear power delivery off the bottom which allows you to lug up most anything.  It does take some clutch work if hitting steep stuff with obstacles. We hit the steepest climbs in Moab and in NE Oregon that had long,  steep, loose hillclimbs.

Sometimes I think guys mistake low end torque for overall power.  It's still a mid cc bike, and won't compare to larger cc for straight power. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

But I have noticed that there are times where it doesn't pull as cleanly or as strongly from down low as I would have expected.    I too have noticed this when going up a hill and I want to throttle my way up, but can't.    I just assumed that I was either in the wrong gear or that I was too lazy and let my rpm's drop too low.    

That's the thing, just as you describe it.

Certainly would not prevent me from riding it and having a good time, but I ride in a gear high and feather the clutch constantly, and this issue makes it difficult to do this. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Certainly would not prevent me from riding it and having a good time, but I ride in a gear high and feather the clutch constantly, and this issue makes it difficult to do this. 

Have you done this?

You have a RRS California bike correct? 

• Like 1

How many hours on the 390RRS? 

Have you done a full reset? If so what, if any changes? 

Is the bike warmed up before riding? If so, how long? 

Green emissions cap removed? 

What size CS spocket? Actually what's the gearing front and rear? 

1 hour ago, KRAYNIAL said:

So did the dealer admit that something wasn't right with the ecu and/or mapping?      

99% of the time...  its usually me doing something wrong... Ok...  99.99%.   Dammit... 100%  OK.... I'm not going any higher...   but always assume its me.

I just figured I'd ride it like I ride a 300 2 stoke (more gas and clutch).  Interested to see what they say

btw... I'm still on the stock 2019 map

It did it with the stock map, the new RE map, a second re-flashed RRS-FMF-0 map.

It does it with cold start and ride, or full ecu re-set warm up to fan, then restart.

It does it without the EPA canister or gas cap check valve.

It does it with fresh fuel and with or without an air filter (with a ecu re-set after each)

The dealer has ordered a new TPS to try.

Beta USA has a service ticket started, and an email from me. 

We shall see.

• Like 1

It did it with the stock map, the new RE map, a second re-flashed RRS-FMF-0 map.

It does it with cold start and ride, or full ecu re-set warm up to fan, then restart.

It does it without the EPA canister or gas cap check valve.

It does it with fresh fuel and with or without an air filter (with a ecu re-set after each)

The dealer has ordered a new TPS to try.

Beta USA has a service ticket started, and an email from me. 

We shall see.

I’m glad Beta will be helping and looking into it. I love my 2020 390RRS. It’s the best bike I’ve ever owned and just keeps getting better.

Good luck on solving your issue.

• Like 3

My 2020 500 RRS had an occasional sluggish throttle response in the 2500 rpm range until about 1200 mi. Then it just went away. Works great now, good feel, good response. I ride in Rain mode most of the time for smoothness, but then I am an old trials rider. Spinning the wheel just wastes valuable traction. Glad you are getting yours ironed out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gsstuart said:

Then it just went away.

Just curious,  did you notice this from new, and at how many hours did it go away? 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:11 PM, KRAYNIAL said:

and a small tail section and tucked in signals

Hey - new to Beta's and just found this post. Just bought a 2020 390 rr-s and my first thought is how can I get this massive tail under control!! Did you grab one off the RE or another Beta or go aftermarket?

1 hour ago, Phil Gilles said:

Hey - new to Beta's and just found this post. Just bought a 2020 390 rr-s and my first thought is how can I get this massive tail under control!! Did you grab one off the RE or another Beta or go aftermarket?

The RE tail section is a direct fit. You just have to buy a license plate holder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil Gilles said:

There’s a few posts about the RR/RE tail conversion. Here’s mine:

I used an Enduro Engineering backer for the plate. I have since dropped my bike pretty hard on the tail and everything is holding up great.

• Like 1

New TPS..... and it still does it.....

You can see the throttle position where it goes flat, if you are at 2000-3000 rpms.

Was gonna take it home any way, but after pulling it out and getting ready to load it, the bike would not start.  Spin spin spin...

Check engine light came on. 

FAAAAK.

Rolled it back into the service bay.

At least the new plastics and graphics look great........typical for a hot chick.....

20200827_165548.jpg

20200827_165442.jpg

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Helpful 1

I was going to buy a 390RR-S until reading this thread. 😏

The bike I rode at the demo day was great. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

New TPS..... and it still does it.....

You can see the throttle position where it goes flat, if you are at 2000-3000 rpms.

Was gonna take it home any way, but after pulling it out and getting ready to load it, the bike would not start.  Spin spin spin...

Check engine light came on. 

FAAAAK.

Rolled it back into the service bay.

At least the new plastics and graphics look great........typical for a hot chick.....

20200827_165548.jpg

20200827_165442.jpg

Looks great, even the seat😉 Sucks for you problem, I'm sure they'll figure it out soon.

With no other Beta choices at the moment, building a 500 is looking interesting..to me.

I have been following along here, and it will be interesting to see what the dealer finds out.  My bike kind of did the no start problem too,  went to take off and in about 10ft or less the motor sounded like the whole thing locked up, and then it would just crank over and not start.  I waited about 30-40 min and it fired up, and the check engine light came on. The other thing I am seeing right now is that there are about 4-5 oil seeps coming from both sides of the engine case seals as there is dirt collecting in those spots, my kick start plug leaks oil too.  I have been lazy about some of its issues but I guess I better get it back into the dealer.  I have to say my bike has some weird moments and leaks, also when I have brought it back to the dealer it seems to run just fine😲   Didn't mean to hijack your topic KRAYNIAL, but it does seem like we are having similar issues.

Talk about Drama for what its worth my 2020 390RR is just AWESOME runs great maybe the issues are due to all the rubbish on the RRS you guys get. 

MM

• Like 2