Xr650l Speed Wobble???

When I’m on the freeway once my bike hits low 80’s I get a super bad speed wobble. But everything under 85 feels perfect. I can cruise all day 70-75. I thought it may be the bridge stone trail wings because I’ve heard a lot of bad things about those lol. There’s no uneven wear on the tires and I tightened all of the spokes 1/8 turn. I know there’s really no reason to go above 80 but on google the 2016 xr650l’s top speed is around 100mph, and the way mine is with the speed wobble it seems impossible

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a 1986 Honda XL-600R model and I was working at a Honda dealership at this time. I rode my XL-600R to work mainly, along with some street riding. I also had a 1988 Honda CR-250 for motocross racing and off road riding too. I installed Metzler street tires on the XL-600R and modified the motorcycle (aftermarket pipe, richer jetting on both primary and secondary carbs, Twin Air filter, changed the gearing to 16/40, stock was 15/43) for more top speed and less unwanted wheelies. It would still easily wheelie with the 16/40 gearing but with the stock 15/43 gearing it would lift the front end just accelerating or shifting gears at or near redline in traffic. Lots of fun but expensive, a wheelie is considered wreckless driving in Florida, I found that out the second week I owned it, that is when I decided on the gearing change. Anyway my XL-600R would top out at 100mph-105mph in 5th gear depending on wind conditions. But whenever I got to 85mph and up it would get a very slight wobble every time but it was nothing to be concerned or worried over, it kinda of felt like it was oscillating. I was in total control at those speeds and could change lanes, pass cars, trucks, and Harley Davidson's with no problems at all. It would do it with brand new tires that were speed balanced properly and after the tires showed some wear. But if the front tire started to show some cupping wear from me being really hard on the front brake while riding, the wobble would begin to get much worse. I would replace the front tire as soon as it started to show cupping wear for safety reasons. It just seemed like the nature of the beast. I wish I never sold that bike, I put 20,000 trouble free miles on it with normal maintenance and only replacing standard wear items. I used to ride it to Daytona Bike Week and race Harley's while doing monster wheelies as I would smoke them, lots of fun as long as they don't catch you as they would be pissed that a red,white, and blue Jap bike would easily beat their expensive Harleys.