XR200 1982 XR200R adding LED lights and turn signals

Hi guys...I'm turning my stock XR200R into a street legal bike. I've sourced an LED headlight, tailight and turn signals. I'm a little confused about the rest of it. Has anyone done exactly this? I'm wondering about a voltage regulator for LED's. ( I realize my bike was 6 V and would need to be changed to 12V)  Does it have to be a D.C. regulator? Or AC?

I didn't think I'd add a battery, but now I'm wondering if I got a gel pack battery and ran all the LED stuff off of that, is that a good way to go?

Pro Cycle sells this https://procycle.us/product/1769 a 12 volt regulater/Rectifier that will convert your AC headlight output to charge a 12 volt battery.

If i got that and a battery, would I be set?

The alternator only produces about 35watts of power, just enough for a single filament head light and a low wattage tail light, and it is AC.  
LEDs are low power draw but they require DC and there will be some power loss with a rectifier.  LEDs have a wide tolerance for supply voltage.  And a 12 volt reg or R/R is an easy way to convert early bikes to 12volt. LEDs turn signals require an electronic turn signal flashers  because their low power draw won't trigger a conventional flasher. 
And the electrical systems have a lot of ignition noise that needs to be filtered out for a R/R to correctly regulate.  Not a problem if you have a good battery, I used a capacitor as a battery substitute on 3 bikes.

Does your providence require turn signals and a horn for street legal?  I ask because I've plated 2 XR200Rs but used a 90 alternator on one and a TLR alternator on the other.  The 90 alternator has more power than the early units and the bike didn't need turn signals or battery so it worked OK.   The other one had turn signals and the TLR alternator is like a XL unit so plenty of power.

Thanks so much for your response, Chuck. I'm pretty sure I need turn signals and a horn...but I'm in a big city so I think I better have them anyway. Do you think if i went with some type of battery, the alternator would charge it? I'd even be ok with having to put it on a trickle charger if need. this bike probably won't be taken on long rides, I just want to get it road worthy for short fun rides..BTW, i've already got it insured and plated....so I wont need to have it safetied. 

You will need a R/R to charge the battery and I would recommend LED lights to keep the current draw low. Do you need Hi/Lo headlight?

I would also buy a Battery Tender charger and add their pig tail connector to the battery. I have that on my X and it makes it very easy to connect and charge the battery.