Honda HPP eclip

So im rebuilding my entire 1989 cr250r. In short my 4 yr old boy got a little curious and wanted to help dad while I was out of town for the weekend. Anyway, he lost my e clip to my exhaust valve, and my rack sealing bolt, and I dont have one until next week sometime, and i have a riding trip planned for this weekend. My question to you knowledgeable folks is this; Would I be able to do some light riding without my valve eclip. Seems as though it is more of a fail safe than anything. As the pinion arm holds the valve in place and dictates where it sits. 

Follow up; my seal bolt for my rack which goes in the side of the cylinder was lost as well. Honda has discontinued and I cannot find ANYWHERE! Seeing as its only to seal the hole, is there a workaround for this specific problem if I'm not able to find a semi matching bolt that will thread in. I am a welder/fabricator so im fairly skilled when it comes to fab work, as far something simple like finding a matching thread pattern and cutting down. Or maybe some sort of sealant till I can get ahold of one. 

Thanks in advance. Y'all ThumperHeads always got.the answers. 

IMG_20200828_141111.jpg

3 hours ago, KLU 01 said:

So im rebuilding my entire 1989 cr250r. In short my 4 yr old boy got a little curious and wanted to help dad while I was out of town for the weekend. Anyway, he lost my e clip to my exhaust valve, and my rack sealing bolt, and I dont have one until next week sometime, and i have a riding trip planned for this weekend. My question to you knowledgeable folks is this; Would I be able to do some light riding without my valve eclip. Seems as though it is more of a fail safe than anything. As the pinion arm holds the valve in place and dictates where it sits. 

Follow up; my seal bolt for my rack which goes in the side of the cylinder was lost as well. Honda has discontinued and I cannot find ANYWHERE! Seeing as its only to seal the hole, is there a workaround for this specific problem if I'm not able to find a semi matching bolt that will thread in. I am a welder/fabricator so im fairly skilled when it comes to fab work, as far something simple like finding a matching thread pattern and cutting down. Or maybe some sort of sealant till I can get ahold of one. 

Thanks in advance. Y'all ThumperHeads always got.the answers. 

IMG_20200828_141111.jpg

Go to Ace hardware shop, take the eclip off of the "good" valve and bring it to the shop, they can match one up really close. Dont ride with out the clip, no bueno mang!

bv000021.gif

Sounds like you are trying to cheat.  Your missing several parts now, you should reconsider using this bike for a ride if your going to have to improvise so many components because of a timeline.  Don’t get it wrong I can advise in many ways especially because I have completely rebuilt my 88’ cr250r engine but with patience and as many oe parts as i could find

16 hours ago, shidukirider said:

Sounds like you are trying to cheat.  Your missing several parts now, you should reconsider using this bike for a ride if your going to have to improvise so many components because of a timeline.  Don’t get it wrong I can advise in many ways especially because I have completely rebuilt my 88’ cr250r engine but with patience and as many oe parts as i could find

This.

And this

1.jpg

On 8/29/2020 at 11:35 PM, shidukirider said:

Not trying to cheat, but definitely almost got ahead of myself. I found the clip, and ordered 4 more in case the one that came off of the valve got deformed or something. Waiting on my.cylimder alignment valves from motosport.com to get here tomorrow or Friday, and I should have everything I need. 98 percent oem parts. 

Its been a very long, strenuous, patience testing process, but the love and joy this bike will bring me once its done will be well worth the sleepless nights, bloody knuckles, and four letter word flying months of work, after work. Been on 6-10s welding/fabricating structural steel the entire time I've been restoring this bike. So the overtime has made it hard to keep working day in and day out, but the overtime dollars have padded the process quite nicely. Haha. People think im crazy when they saw what it first looked like. My dad raced the same one when I was a young buck, and had a very severe crash during a race he lost half his foot and broke so many bones. My mom made him quit and he never rode dirt bikes much again. Always rode some sort of motorcycle, bit never dirt bikes like he did. That was one of my favorite parts of my childhood was watching him race. So to be able to kick this thing over within the next two weeks already seems surreal. And having my boy next to me the whole time has been so great. Sorry to get sappy outta nowhere. Just reminded myself why I started doing every part right and not cutting corners. Once I get the plastics all reconditioned up and the oe graphics on it I'll be sure to post pictures. Couldn't have figured alot of it out without you thumpin sons of guns. Thanks for the input, and sharing of knowledge now, and in the future dudes+

Well I’m glad to hear you got the oe parts for it.  A lot of people get towards the end of a project and get antsy, so they cut corners and it’s a damn shame.  Especially if you’ve resurrected a dead bike that will have some meaning once it’s done.  I bought a kx500 for $500 that was absolutely trashed, broken and rewelded frame, someone tried to bore the nikasil off the cylinder thinking it was a steel liner, leather jacket wrapped and stapled for a seat cover, what a mess.  I built the motor with all new oe bearings and seals, Millenium replated the cylinder and matched a new wiseco piston to it, new carb and v force reeds.  I have the motor 100% done and the bike %90 done and realized my trans drain plug boss has a hairline crack in it so it leaks #%&$! So now I have to split the motor again and have it welded so I can cut a new drain hole.  So just take your time and pay attention.  It’s really cool your building this with your son he will remember this and will learn from it whether he knows it or not.  My dad built a Harley from scratch when I was 5 and I remember every step of what he did from bringing the bare frame home to going with him to the Harley shop to look at parts.  I’m 35 now and the bike is still around and I’m proud to tell everyone he built it from nothing.  Sounds like the same thing with your Cr250, you watch this is the beginning of something great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shidukirider said:

Well I’m glad to hear you got the oe parts for it.  A lot of people get towards the end of a project and get antsy, so they cut corners and it’s a damn shame.  Especially if you’ve resurrected a dead bike that will have some meaning once it’s done.  I bought a kx500 for $500 that was absolutely trashed, broken and rewelded frame, someone tried to bore the nikasil off the cylinder thinking it was a steel liner, leather jacket wrapped and stapled for a seat cover, what a mess.  I built the motor with all new oe bearings and seals, Millenium replated the cylinder and matched a new wiseco piston to it, new carb and v force reeds.  I have the motor 100% done and the bike %90 done and realized my trans drain plug boss has a hairline crack in it so it leaks #%&$! So now I have to split the motor again and have it welded so I can cut a new drain hole.  So just take your time and pay attention.  It’s really cool your building this with your son he will remember this and will learn from it whether he knows it or not.  My dad built a Harley from scratch when I was 5 and I remember every step of what he did from bringing the bare frame home to going with him to the Harley shop to look at parts.  I’m 35 now and the bike is still around and I’m proud to tell everyone he built it from nothing.  Sounds like the same thing with your Cr250, you watch this is the beginning of something great

Yessir. Thats a shame about the plug boss!!!! I'm a welder and had to reweld the frame myself. Being a welder and iron worker has helped immensely. Just in knowledge of different types of metal, the effect heat will have on them, and how to repair them properly. And I tend to get impatient and antsy at the beggining of projects, not just the end. Lol. But I sat and realized I've come thisnfar. And my young one is watching. I'd want him to take the high road, wait a little longer and do it right. My dad always told me, "The way you do anything, is the way you'll do everything" and that was ringing in my head as well...but oh yes, my frame needed welded in 2 spots, cylinder was ALL jacked up, so I had Powerseal USA recoat mine, as it was during the corona virus, and their turn around d time was a couple weeks shorter.  Ive been so involved with the bike itself and explaining things and teaching my boy, that I've gotten maybe 4 pictures. But im going to take more from this point on and will post here for anyone who is interested. Thanks for the kind wise words my friend. Theyre appreciated

1 hour ago, Gremlyn71 said:

Hey KLU 01 great project with your lad how old is your boy? Start a thread and put some pics up we would all love to see whats going on Cheers Steve.

Edit sorry just seen he is 4yrs old.

My boy is 4, he will be 5 in October. I got him his first dirtbike this passed Christmas. A rebuilt pw50 that my brother in law rebuilt. Its got an 88cc big bore kit on it so its got power for him for a few years. Shoot, I enjoy riding it. Haha. But, as mentioned I've been so involved in doing things right and making my boy feel involved and learn a thing or two along the way, I've gotten about NO pictures. Just got the motor all back together, and in the frame. To find out my clutch cover is cracked and slowly leaking. Bahahaha. Back to ebay! I'll try and get pictures from this point on! Thanks man!

• Like 1