2021 Beta 200rr review

27 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

It pays to have friends with nice things. Going to give these a go tomorrow.IMG_20201107_160249808.thumb.jpg.f807501886a3643b810c47388f6076d2.jpgIMG_20201107_162007438_HDR.thumb.jpg.2edbb6fe9b57dad9640475dfb02489ab.jpg

We got the shock adjusted ok today. Thats when the forks felt like crap again. It was good to have another guy ride the bike. Luckily he has these forks for his Beta 200rr. His bike is down waiting on parts so he's letting me try them out.

Gotta give it to you. You are putting in more than anyone I've seen in trying to get a bike to work for you! 

Well done sir! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Gotta give it to you. You are putting in more than anyone I've seen in trying to get a bike to work for you! 

Well done sir! 

I'm stubborn and tired of buying bikes. Hey if I can try a premo set of forks for free why not. I rode his KTM 250xcf today that were set up the same. The forks are setup from Stillwell.  This is going to be make it or break it time.

I did some speed test and ran 2:29 on one of my test trails. The run I did three weeks ago on the 150 was 2:29 so speed was on par. The shock is no longer holding the bike back. The forks are the weak link now.

• Like 2

The forks were a big success. I ran my test trail 5 seconds faster than yesterday. on another one I went from 3:04 to 2:53 that's a big. The bike took less effort and felt planted. It was a lot more pleasent to ride and it didn't do anything scary. The Sachs forks are getting replaced if I'm going to keep the bike. I was going to try his shock buts it's from a 2019 and will not work in the 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Singletrack_rider said:

This first vid is the bike resprung. This was the fastest I felt safe.

This is from today with the shock re-valved and the Dal Soggio forks.

I was tired and my right arm was hurting. If I was a little fresher I could of done better. 21 seconds faster and I'm not done yet. 

I cast your vids to the big screen here just to try and catch the differences. 

Obviously 1st thing I noticed was you're riding in a higher rpm range in the 2nd video. The first video you were predominately low rpms.  Now,  that's likely due to the better fork action allowing you to get harder on the throttle.  It also keeps your front end a bit lighter.  

I watched closely and noticed your cornering was much quicker on the 2nd video with Del Sagios. Front end appears to be more planted and tracking the outside line better.  

Then, watching as you are hitting the trail trash in the 2nd video,  and that section with the braking bumps,  I noticed how the bike was never thrown off its line and was tracking really well.  

You're very fortunate to have access to another set of forks to do testing like that! And fun too! 

Appreciate you sharing, Very informative!

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I cast your vids to the big screen here just to try and catch the differences. 

Obviously 1st thing I noticed was you're riding in a higher rpm range in the 2nd video. The first video you were predominately low rpms.  Now,  that's likely due to the better fork action allowing you to get harder on the throttle.  It also keeps your front end a bit lighter.  

I watched closely and noticed your cornering was much quicker on the 2nd video with Del Sagios. Front end appears to be more planted and tracking the outside line better.  

Then, watching as you are hitting the trail trash in the 2nd video,  and that section with the braking bumps,  I noticed how the bike was never thrown off its line and was tracking really well.  

You're very fortunate to have access to another set of forks to do testing like that! And fun too! 

The bike felt solid today. This is what my 150 is like. This is what I was after. Being able to try these forks was a blessing. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Those forks are the real deal. After taking Don`s bike for a short spin i noticed how smooth the stoke is compared to my stock forks. I am 15 to 20 pounds lighter than don and being a C rider knew the forks would be to stiff. After the first turn i could feel the bike being to stiff, but i wanted to focus the action of the suspension. Those forks are a lot smoother in the stroke. Don`s revalved shock felt a lot better than mine even with it being 2 spring sizes to stiff for me. The 200`s suspension is fine in open double track type of trails. Smooth open flowy trails it works fine. It is even fine in whoops. When it does not work is in the slow 2nd and 3erd gear tight single track. The action is harsh and does not absorb the trail trash. You feel everything and that can wear you out after a while.

Big eye opening on how much nicer a bike can be with good suspension. Mistakes i am making are not all rider error, the suspension is contributing to those mistakes. Until this weekend i did not understand that. Good weekend with a lot that was learned. 

My opinion is that this motor is special. For me and what i ride mostly it works very well. This is the 6th bike i have had in the last 5 years being back in the sport. For me this motor works the best and is the most fun. Like most beta`s the thing that holds them back is the suspension. Even being a C level rider i can see that now.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Those forks are the real deal. After taking Don`s bike for a short spin i noticed how smooth the stoke is compared to my stock forks. I am 15 to 20 pounds lighter than don and being a C rider knew the forks would be to stiff. After the first turn i could feel the bike being to stiff, but i wanted to focus the action of the suspension. Those forks are a lot smoother in the stroke. Don`s revalved shock felt a lot better than mine even with it being 2 spring sizes to stiff for me. The 200`s suspension is fine in open double track type of trails. Smooth open flowy trails it works fine. It is even fine in whoops. When it does not work is in the slow 2nd and 3erd gear tight single track. The action is harsh and does not absorb the trail trash. You feel everything and that can wear you out after a while.

Big eye opening on how much nicer a bike can be with good suspension. Mistakes i am making are not all rider error, the suspension is contributing to those mistakes. Until this weekend i did not understand that. Good weekend with a lot that was learned. 

My opinion is that this motor is special. For me and what i ride mostly it works very well. This is the 6th bike i have had in the last 5 years being back in the sport. For me this motor works the best and is the most fun. Like most beta`s the thing that holds them back is the suspension. Even being a C level rider i can see that now.

Great insight. 

Nice to have Don's experience and same bike to help see the differences in suspension performance and the impact it can make. 

2 hours ago, firffighter said:

Great insight. 

Nice to have Don's experience and same bike to help see the differences in suspension performance and the impact it can make. 

Reminder i have a 19 that has a frame similar if not exactly like your 18 300.  The new frame is a little different and that was my first time on a 2020 and newer beta. The bike is flatter and you ride a tad higher. It is also easier to slide back when knocked out of position cause of how flat the bike is. I could get used to the new frame, but i am more comfortable on the old frame cause its what i have been riding the last 2 years. As soon as i got on the bike it felt different, even the motor`s feel different. The focus was on the suspension, so i ignored the rest.

Since i mentioned it i will speak about the motor cause i learned more. Our motors are the same, except for jetting. I found his motor to be a little smoother off the bottom, but seems to have less torque down low than mine does. Both bikes run smooth, but you can tell a slight difference between the 2 cause of the jetting. This was surprising to me cause i never understood that 2 bikes that are the same could be jetted differently yet run clean. 

Ya it is really nice to have Don`s advise. The SDR member who owns the forks was a help as well. People ask me why i spend so much time at SDR, its the people. We have a lot of great people who do not mind passing on helpful information. I just try and give back as much as i can and will never ever repay the knowledge i have received. 

Edited by Eric72
  • Like 4

This has a great story to follow. Unfortunately it is sad to have a manufacturing that is making great strides in takeoff a big bite out of the off-road market that still can’t get their suspension close enough for us in the states. I too have had the anodizing issue with the forks. It’s a pity at only 30 hrs when I decided to take a look and found both tubes having the same issue.  Anyway I have a question for Eric72. What does SDR stand for?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it's time for a update. I've been testing out the new yz250x fork, there fine. The rear shock still needs work. The revalve helped but it's still bad. It doesn't want to move. When I compare it to my other bikes push down on the seat it's slower. It feels stiffer and rebounds slower. If I back off the rebound and compression it gets harsh, bouncy and skips small hits. The shock feels fine over woops ,big hits and on two track. On rough singletrack it just can't keep up. I'm going to have to take it back for some more work. It just beats you up and there's no control.  The 2019 ktm 250xc I bought last week is like riding on a cloud. Bone stock shock with 2 rates higher spring. Absolutely perfect. I want the 200rr shock to feel like the ktm. It's not anywhere close. Thats where the 200 sits right now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, NW_drZ said:

Your experience even stresses me out.  I’d hate to go through that with a new bike.  Sounds like that 19 250 is dialed which is awesome.   Do you still have the 18 250 tpi?

I sold the 2018 TPI to by the 200rr. Getting a shock to work should be this hard. Everything I bought in the last 4 years I could use the bike with stock valving. 2018 150xcw, 2018 250xcw, 2919 FE250 , 2020 YZ125x and now this used 2019 250xc. All theses bike the stock rear shock with correct spring works great, no complaints . The Beta shock is just flat out bad. You get used to it but once you jump on something else you realize how bad it is. I even checked how the swingarm moved without the shock. I thought maybe something was binding. Nothing was. Shock is having to go back. I never had to do a second try before. The several shocks Les has done for me have been great. This one is better but still not close. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

I sold the 2018 TPI to by the 200rr. Getting a shock to work should be this hard. Everything I bought in the last 4 years I could use the bike with stock valving. 2018 150xcw, 2018 250xcw, 2919 FE250 , 2020 YZ125x and now this used 2019 250xc. All theses bike the stock rear shock with correct spring works great, no complaints . The Beta shock is just flat out bad. You get used to it but once you jump on something else you realize how bad it is. I even checked how the swingarm moved without the shock. I thought maybe something was binding. Nothing was. Shock is having to go back. I never had to do a second try before. The several shocks Les has done for me have been great. This one is better but still not close. 

I’ll give you credit for sticking with it, I don’t think I would.  The revalved shock on my 250rr is actually really good.  Granted mine is a 17’ but I wonder if the 200 chassis vs their bigger brothers (250/300) Is harder to tune?.  If anything, I use to hear more positives about the Beta shock than the forks.  Both happen to work good for me at places like Walker.  I am a stand up over the bar rider though.  I’ve never gelled with the Betas in the seated position.  

I hope you get it dialed in though.  And nice score on the 19’.  A 250 tpi will be something I definitely consider next. 

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 4