Jump to content
Singletrack_rider

Beta2Stroke 2021 Beta 200rr review

Recommended Posts

Did a 40+ mile ride yesterday on some slower tight singletrack. Leaner jetting helped but still not there yet. Got just under 25mpg. Not bad but compared to my other bikes on the same trails 2-5 mpg less. I dropped the N1EJ needle one position today. Testing around the house showed it was the right move. Will see on tomorrow's ride. The stock tires are not that good. I've changed out the front for a goldentyre 90/90. I have to order a 525 cheater for the rear. I was going to put a 110/100 tusk recon on but it was 13.7lbs and just seemed big for the bike.

I can't wait for my shock spring to come in. With the preload cranked up its harsh initially then too soft. The forks feel ok but until the shock is setup I won't really know.  

I will try to get some vids of tomorrow's ride.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a short ride today. Wasn't really feeling it. The trails were in horrible shape with a lot of brush and grass. This one wasn't too bad. The new front tire helped. After riding today I'm not liking the bike as much. This bike is not on par with the small bore bikes handling wise. This bike is not a small bore. I would class it with a 250 not a 125/150. The bike takes more effort to ride over the 125/150. Fatigue factor is higher and the effort it takes to keep it on the trail is greater. If your coming off a 300 or a heavier bike it's going to handle faster. It's just not 125/150 fast. I'm not saying it's a bad bike so don't put word in my mouth. Its not slow either. It's just not a small bore by nature. Is it a good alternative to a 250 hell yes. Would I take it over a 250 for my type of riding the answer is yes. Can you flick it around like the YZ125x  hell no. I think the bike fits the bill as good compromise bike. 

Here is the same section of trail on the 125x

 

  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SDR_rider said:

Took a short ride today. Wasn't really feeling it. The trails were in horrible shape with a lot of brush and grass. This one wasn't too bad. The new front tire helped. After riding today I'm not liking the bike as much. This bike is not on par with the small bore bikes handling wise. This bike is not a small bore. I would class it with a 250 not a 125/150. The bike takes more effort to ride over the 125/150. Fatigue factor is higher and the effort it takes to keep it on the trail is greater. If your coming off a 300 or a heavier bike it's going to handle faster. It's just not 125/150 fast. I'm not saying it's a bad bike so don't put word in my mouth. Its not slow either. It's just not a small bore by nature. Is it a good alternative to a 250 hell yes. Would I take it over a 250 for my type of riding the answer is yes. Can you flick it around like the YZ125x  hell no. I think the bike fits the bill as good compromise bike. 

Here is the same section of trail on the 125x

 

I was actually going to ask if you could ride one of the same tracks you have on the 125X. Interesting comments, not really surprising though.

Thanks 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I was actually going to ask if you could ride one of the same tracks you have on the 125X. Interesting comments, not really surprising though.

Thanks 👍

I was 5 seconds faster on the 125x. To be honest I wasn't pushing the 200 very hard. Once the suspension is set along with a new tire I expect the time to be the same. The difference is the fun factor. The 125 has that advantage.  

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SDR_rider said:

I was 5 seconds faster on the 125x. To be honest I wasn't pushing the 200 very hard. Once the suspension is set along with a new tire I expect the time to be the same. The difference is the fun factor. The 125 has that advantage.  

If it was too much like the 125X, there'd be no point in you having it. Seems like It'd be a good option for longer/larger, group rides.

I haven't ridden one yet, a couple mates have them, just aren't ridding because of Covid. But, from what I've been told, and seen on video's, it looks more like a smaller 300 than a 125 on steroids, like the 04/05 KTM 200's were.
I recently had a 2502T, and wished I was on my 125/144 every time I rode it, so, for someone like me, small bore bias, it seems like a really good option for a "bigger" bike to take on the longer/larger group rides.

Thanks for posting the vids 👍
 

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drop-Bear said:

If it was too much like the 125X, there's be no point in you having it. Seems like It'd be a good option for longer/larger, group rides.

I haven't ridden one yet, a couple mates have them, just aren't ridding because of Covid. But, from what I've been told, and seen on video's, it looks more like a smaller 300 than a 125 on steroids, like the 04/05 KTM 200's were.
I recently had a 2502T, and wished I was on my 125/144 every time I rode it, so, for someone like me, small bore bias, it seems like a really good option.

Thanks for posting the vids 👍
 

I think there was a lot of comparisons going on between the 125 and 200 early on. The 200 is not 125 replacement that's the point I wanted to get at.  I did want to replace the 250 I had. I think the 200 will do that job. A lot of times the 250 was just a little much especially when I was tired. Some of the areas I ride the 125 and 150 just don't have enough grunt either.  

One thing I should point out in the vids is the 200 was in 3rd gear the entire time. The 125 I was 2nd thru 4th. 

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

I think there was a lot of comparisons going on between the 125 and 200 early on. The 200 is not 125 replacement that's the point I wanted to get at.  I did want to replace the 250 I had. I think the 200 will do that job. A lot of times the 250 was just a little much especially when I was tired. Some of the areas I ride the 125 and 150 just don't have enough grunt either.  

One thing I should point out in the vids is the 200 was in 3rd gear the entire time. The 125 I was 2nd thru 4th. 

That 200 seems super grunty. Sounds like it lugs way better than my YZ250. Crazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NoitatorYvaeh said:

That 200 seems super grunty. Sounds like it lugs way better than my YZ250. Crazy. 

It lugs really good. I did some 3rd gear pull test. Did much better than the ktm 200 I had. I can't wait to get it up in the mountains it should pull the hills. You can control the power great. My past 250's would spin the tires a little easy. This bike puts the power down. 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

I was 5 seconds faster on the 125x.

Could be because you're overall in a higher RPM with the 125X vs. the 200RR. With the 200, you're grunting because you can. Withe the 125, you aren't grunting much because it doesn't grunt as well. Being in the mid to upper revs with the 125 carries smaller risk than with the 200. It was also likely hotter today which also slowed you down. 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Could be because you're overall in a higher RPM with the 125X vs. the 200RR. With the 200, you're grunting because you can. Withe the 125, you aren't grunting much because it doesn't grunt as well. Being in the mid to upper revs with the 125 carries smaller risk than with the 200. It was also likely hotter today which also slowed you down. 🙂

I just rode the 200 and the 125x back to back at the house. If you ride the 200 first the 125 seems slow. 

In the 125 vid I was trying to go fast. The 200 I felt I was just cruising. I think because of the higher rpm the 125 gives you the illusion of speed. Once setup the 200 will turn faster times on the trails. 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Singletrack_rider said:

I just rode the 200 and the 125x back to back at the house. If you ride the 200 first the 125 seems slow. 

In the 125 vid I was trying to go fast. The 200 I felt I was just cruising. I think because of the higher rpm the 125 gives you the illusion of speed. Once setup the 200 will turn faster times on the trails. 

I wasn't super happy with my 300 when it had softee springs F/R. Bike was LOW and so I hit everything because my weight made it even lower. Correct springs and now thicker fork oil (5W too thin for heavy weight rider on Sachs OC IMO) and the bike rides higher and correct.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

When I rode back to back my own 300 2018 at that time, with the 125 2T, the 200 2T and the 300, all 2019s, the 200 was much much closer to the 125 for the overall feeling and turn in. Both 300s were much heavier feeling in all respects. Maybe now with the new frame, subframe and new ergonomics the 200 feels closer to the bigger 2Ts because it is the only Beta 2T that has the same longer swingarm from the new 4Ts. I remember some statement on that "to make it less twitchy/more stable at speed", or something like that. Also try the 14 front sprocket and give it couple of rides time before you decide what you like best. I think this will also contribute positively to the overall feel. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, leon_gasgas said:

Hi!

When I rode back to back my own 300 2018 at that time, with the 125 2T, the 200 2T and the 300, all 2019s, the 200 was much much closer to the 125 for the overall feeling and turn in. Both 300s were much heavier feeling in all respects. Maybe now with the new frame, subframe and new ergonomics the 200 feels closer to the bigger 2Ts because it is the only Beta 2T that has the same longer swingarm from the new 4Ts. I remember some statement on that "to make it less twitchy/more stable at speed", or something like that. Also try the 14 front sprocket and give it couple of rides time before you decide what you like best. I think this will also contribute positively to the overall feel. 

New frame? Is it still a "125 sized frame" ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Betas got new frame, new subframe, new tank, new seat, new plastics, new handlebar for 2020. Yes the 125 and 200 have their own "smaller" main frame but the 200 is the only one of the 2 strokes that got the new longer swingarm found on the 2020 and newer 4Ts. I suspect that this contributed to the 200 feeling closer to the big 2Ts compared to how it felt with the previous generation frame... 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

Took a short ride today. Wasn't really feeling it. The trails were in horrible shape with a lot of brush and grass. This one wasn't too bad. The new front tire helped. After riding today I'm not liking the bike as much. This bike is not on par with the small bore bikes handling wise. This bike is not a small bore. I would class it with a 250 not a 125/150. The bike takes more effort to ride over the 125/150. Fatigue factor is higher and the effort it takes to keep it on the trail is greater. If your coming off a 300 or a heavier bike it's going to handle faster. It's just not 125/150 fast. I'm not saying it's a bad bike so don't put word in my mouth. Its not slow either. It's just not a small bore by nature. Is it a good alternative to a 250 hell yes. Would I take it over a 250 for my type of riding the answer is yes. Can you flick it around like the YZ125x  hell no. I think the bike fits the bill as good compromise bike. 

Here is the same section of trail on the 125x

 

Great vids, thanks for posting. Really helps show the difference in feel. Looks like you feel more at home pushing the 125X harder. I guess the lower weight and flickability play their part. Less to slow down coming into the corners and changing direction. Both awesome bikes. I've always loved 125s for off road and am thinking of getting a 125X. It sounds torquey (for a 125), like my '10 EXC125. 

Edited by Rob Jack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

I was 5 seconds faster on the 125x. To be honest I wasn't pushing the 200 very hard. Once the suspension is set along with a new tire I expect the time to be the same. The difference is the fun factor. The 125 has that advantage.  

With good tires and set suspension and time I’m wondering how you’ll feel later. You’re used to your 125’s. When you’re used to your 200 then I’m wondering about the fun factor then.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20200912_101835952_HDR.thumb.jpg.796689c6cf3eab412f5e8df9b63c7361.jpg

Well I think I'm done with this bike. I can not get it to turn. This is one of the worst turning bike I've ever owned. Small gental turn on a smooth trail and it kept going strait. Bike just wants to walk off to the outside. I think the forks aren't compressing and setting up on the turn. They are staying up in the stroke. I've had 10 new bikes in the last 6 years and this is buy far the worst stock bike for cornering. I don't know what to do. 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

IMG_20200912_101835952_HDR.thumb.jpg.796689c6cf3eab412f5e8df9b63c7361.jpg

Well I think I'm done with this bike. I can not get it to turn. This is one of the worst turning bike I've ever owned. Small gental turn on a smooth trail and it kept going strait. Bike just wants to walk off to the outside. I think the forks aren't compressing and setting up on the turn. They are staying up in the stroke. I've had 10 new bikes in the last 6 years and this is buy far the worst stock bike for cornering. I don't know what to do. 

Try thinner fork oil perhaps? You are sprung for weight and ability and have adjusted sag? 
I did all that but my forks would push through the stroke often so I used much thicker oil than 5W plus a fatty front tire and this helped greatly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Singletrack_rider said:

IMG_20200912_101835952_HDR.thumb.jpg.796689c6cf3eab412f5e8df9b63c7361.jpg

Well I think I'm done with this bike. I can not get it to turn. This is one of the worst turning bike I've ever owned. Small gental turn on a smooth trail and it kept going strait. Bike just wants to walk off to the outside. I think the forks aren't compressing and setting up on the turn. They are staying up in the stroke. I've had 10 new bikes in the last 6 years and this is buy far the worst stock bike for cornering. I don't know what to do. 

You set sag and got the right springs? My 300 feels great, im at 106/41mm for sag. I happen to be the exact right weight for the stock setup. I second that you're not getting weight transfer onto the front, but that could be because you're already too compressed if you're on stock springs at your weight. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

IMG_20200912_101835952_HDR.thumb.jpg.796689c6cf3eab412f5e8df9b63c7361.jpg

Well I think I'm done with this bike. I can not get it to turn. This is one of the worst turning bike I've ever owned. Small gental turn on a smooth trail and it kept going strait. Bike just wants to walk off to the outside. I think the forks aren't compressing and setting up on the turn. They are staying up in the stroke. I've had 10 new bikes in the last 6 years and this is buy far the worst stock bike for cornering. I don't know what to do. 

You done with this ? Give it to me..  Really I loved the 19 200 rr I rode and I have only heard better reports of newer 200’s being better. Just saw this. He got a bunch of other vids too. I have been unwanting to like this 200 rr but after a Demo ride I’m having a hard time to shake off wanting one . It’s like every bike. Set up suspension and go ride it. 
 

 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...