I live near charlottesville Virginia and am looking for trail ride places not too far away.  Less than an hour and a half away preferably. I have ridden at north garden and it’s nice but I want more singletrack loamy stuff if any is available. 

Edited by Max L

1 minute ago, Max L said:

That website makes it sound amazing. I will definitely look into it. It is kinda far but if it is that good then it might be worth it. 

Use to have vchss races there and they have a good loop. Plenty of hills.  If you want something else great,try kairos resort.

3 minutes ago, Edgecombe said:

Use to have vchss races there and they have a good loop. Plenty of hills.  If you want something else great,try kairos resort.

Kairos resort looks good but just too far away from me. I like to do day trips and 3 hr drive is pushing it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Edgecombe said:

Theres a vchss race coming up next Sunday.  Peninsula.  It is a great place. Dont know if your interested in racing, but you can meet alot of potential riding buddies and some may have access to private land close to you to ride. 

Hmmm. I’m not very good? just got a dirtbike this summer with 4+ years of mountain bike experience. Might be past my ability. 

1 minute ago, Max L said:

Hmmm. I’m not very good? just got a dirtbike this summer with 4+ years of mountain bike experience. Might be past my ability. 

They have a trail riders class for people that just want to ride and there are riding clubs out that way to. Go to the vchss website and you can take a look. 

25 minutes ago, Edgecombe said:

They have a trail riders class for people that just want to ride and there are riding clubs out that way to. Go to the vchss website and you can take a look. 

Intriguing. I’ll see what my friends think and maybe it’ll be a good trip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Peters Mill & Taskers Gap are open for riding, takes a permit that I think is under $10 a day. Plenty of trails to keep you busy for at least a day. Just over the mountain near Woodstock VA.

But, most of the trails are pretty rocky. A lot are going to be challenging for a new to dirt rider.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, pat22043 said:

Peters Mill & Taskers Gap are open for riding, takes a permit that I think is under $10 a day. Plenty of trails to keep you busy for at least a day. Just over the mountain near Woodstock VA.

But, most of the trails are pretty rocky. A lot are going to be challenging for a new to dirt rider.

Oh sweet thanks!

The Cove Campground in Gore, VA, just north of Winchester has trails. I have never been there so can't vouch for them. I've been riding the trails around Woodstock and Edinburg, VA. The USFS office in Edinburg (540-984-4101) will mail you a good map of the trails and it says the difficulty of each. Peters Mill Run is the one I've been riding, it just has one short challenging section. I'm on a DR200, open face helmet, vintage wax cotton Belstaff jacket, vintage rider too. I live in Clarke County, so if you're interested in riding let me know. I don't like riding on the street/road. I truck my bike to the trails.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:26 AM, gearboy said:

The Cove Campground in Gore, VA, just north of Winchester has trails. I have never been there so can't vouch for them. I've been riding the trails around Woodstock and Edinburg, VA. The USFS office in Edinburg (540-984-4101) will mail you a good map of the trails and it says the difficulty of each. Peters Mill Run is the one I've been riding, it just has one short challenging section. I'm on a DR200, open face helmet, vintage wax cotton Belstaff jacket, vintage rider too. I live in Clarke County, so if you're interested in riding let me know. I don't like riding on the street/road. I truck my bike to the trails.

Sweet, thank you so much. I’ll let you know if I need a riding partner. 

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, rmeen15 said:

Old post but checking in. Did you find some good trail around Charlottesville? I live in Cville and am also a relatively new dirt rider with a lot of mountain bike experience. 

No it’s really just north garden. They have a pretty good amount of trail though with some single track that varies in difficulty (it’s on average kinda tough). There’s 4 “chutes” that are double track to the top of the mountain. The easiest one is the main trail And the get harder in difficulty going from the right to left. I tried the second to right one and third to right one. I think the third to right was easier but I never made it because I ride a 125 and was slipping my clutch the entire way. 

6 minutes ago, Max L said:

No it’s really just north garden. They have a pretty good amount of trail though with some single track that varies in difficulty (it’s on average kinda tough). There’s 4 “chutes” that are double track to the top of the mountain. The easiest one is the main trail And the get harder in difficulty going from the right to left. I tried the second to right one and third to right one. I think the third to right was easier but I never made it because I ride a 125 and was slipping my clutch the entire way. 

I've heard of North Garden. Is it a private spot or open to the public? Location? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rmeen15 said:

I've heard of North Garden. Is it a private spot or open to the public? Location? 

It is open to the public and for free everyday of the week. It is located in north garden Virginia, south of charlottesville at Thomas Dairy Farms. There is a train bridge that you drive under and it is right after that. There are two driveways close to each other and one of them is blocked off (it is the first one that you drive past driving to the track). There are various driveways off of the main driveway, just stay left for each one and it takes you to the track and the owners house. The trails start in the woods on the other side of the track. 

11 minutes ago, Max L said:

It is open to the public and for free everyday of the week. It is located in north garden Virginia, south of charlottesville at Thomas Dairy Farms. There is a train bridge that you drive under and it is right after that. There are two driveways close to each other and one of them is blocked off (it is the first one that you drive past driving to the track). There are various driveways off of the main driveway, just stay left for each one and it takes you to the track and the owners house. The trails start in the woods on the other side of the track. 

Thanks dude!

• Like 1