2021 YAMAHA WR450F Improvements, Specs & Pictures

Hey Yamaha, come back when you put a kickstarter on your dirt bikes again (or at least provide the option to add it).  You know, so it's actually ready to go into the unknown.  Not all of us ride within walking distance of a jump-start, or on flat paved ground where you can easily bump it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 1:19 PM, Thomas Lockley said:

I've just bought a 21 wr450 and looking v for some advice. 

Does it have a cat installed? 

I'm having trouble uploading maps, the phone is connected but I get an error 504 message.

Are you trying to upload to the stock ECU or a GYTR one that you have installed?

On 2/28/2021 at 11:19 AM, Thomas Lockley said:

I've just bought a 21 wr450 and looking v for some advice. 

Does it have a cat installed? 

I'm having trouble uploading maps, the phone is connected but I get an error 504 message.

Pretty sure they don't have cats.  They don't have oxygen sensors, AFR sensors or any other kind of sensors on the exhaust.  (I know these do not always work together with cats or even necessary for a good running injection system.)  But these bikes do have an atmospheric pressure sensor to approximate the oxygen content of the ambient air.

I'm curious if the entire stock of GYTR performance exhaust tips has been sold or disappeared from the market. 

I'd love to get one of these on the stock WR450F exhaust: GYTR Performance Exhaust Insert

37 minutes ago, DGXR said:

I'm curious if the entire stock of GYTR performance exhaust tips has been sold or disappeared from the market. 

I'd love to get one of these on the stock WR450F exhaust: GYTR Performance Exhaust Insert

These wouldn't be too hard to fabricate one of these if you have access to a welder (gas, MIG, or TIG).  It's a straight piece of tubing with a flange to match your muffler's existing holes.  

I have one of these exhaust tips.  It doesn't boost the low end power a great deal, but noticeable.   It does make it slightly louder than the stock exhaust tip with the pea shooter removed..  

Wonder why Yamaha would discontinue these?  Must have been a slow seller.   

Yes it looks simple enough to fabricate.  I would be concerned about getting the proper pipe angle for lining up the tip with the end cap, as well as proper sealing against the muffler chamber on the other end.  I've been searching for months and found lots of listings but none in stock.  Even with the pea shooter removed I feel the stock pipe is quite restrictive.  I am currently running the Yoshimura RS-4 which makes awesome power but is brutally loud and unfortunately the quiet insert an the spark insert cannot be mounted at the same time lol.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody! 
Is anyone already interested what will be if you make a tune exhaust without turning pipe around the engine but make it straight back to muffler. 
The exhaust system would be much shorter and lighter. 
I have googled it and didn’t find nothing.

Would like to know about your thoughts on this. 

(sorry for my English, I’m from Ukraine)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sergey Semenov said:

Hello everybody! 
Is anyone already interested what will be if you make a tune exhaust without turning pipe around the engine but make it straight back to muffler. 

A shorter header would be all top-end power, would kill the awesome bottem-end these engines are known for. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 4:05 PM, Sergey Semenov said:

Hello everybody! 

This has been done before.  Of course it was a one-off custom job.  Here you go: 

You're welcome.  My honest opinion: the straight pipe would be great for racing applications where max power and high RPM are the name of the game.  But for normal trail riders / recreational use, the wraparound pipe provides a much longer header and very likely to have better ride-ability and improved character for slower riding stuff.  Also on these FI Yamahas, the engine character can be heavily modified with the power tuner or smartphone app, so all these individual factors have an influence on the overall package.  I.e. the snappy and peaky character common with short straight exhaust can be tamed down with engine tuning.

On 9/4/2020 at 6:16 PM, BazookaJoe said:

Sounds like some good improvements.  I have a 2019 WR450F and I really like it.  I have it equipped with the GYTR ECU, CCU, and handlebar switch, while running the stock muffler.  Strong controllable power, excellent handling, and great stock suspension.   It's an excellent motorcycle!

Just installed my competition ecu on my 21 wr450f. Starts. Runs great. Idle was a tad high but got that adjusted. Shuts off when I hit the kill switch.m but the power stays on ie taillight stays on and odometer screen stays on. Did you have that issue?