I just bought a 2009 yz450f and I need to lower it. I'm about 5'5". Anyone have any ideas? I know about shaving the seat down, which I plan to do, but I don't think that will be enough. 

Hand the forks and shock over to race tech, they can lower it without compromising handling and making your as$ hurt with that 1/2 inch of seatfoam left. Otherwise as another short rider, heres a number of thats that help.

1. Don't make frequent stops, practice riding as slow as possible and making very tight turns without dabbing 

2.Stand up a lot

3.Learn to jump off when sh%% hits the fan, also learn to run and jump back on. 

What size rear wheel do you have on it? if it is a 19 inch an 18 inch will help. Also get the sag set well it helps a ton. I only lowered my XR because it was really heavy, i just got used to tall bikes. 

• Like 1

Just curious to see what the gals have to say and ask about Moto and your post stuck out like a sore thumb to me.  SO I have to ask WHY would you buy a 450F at 5’5”???? And being a girl?  I HOPE your a heavy girl cuz ur gunna get hurt on a 450 if ur that small. OR I hope you have lots of experience and several other bikes!  I’m just saying? Hope u know what ur doin? Don’t get me wrong I’m all for girls riding I tought my niece how to ride and she rode with us many times. Our sport needs more gals.  

Shave the seat, you can add a lowering link, and just learn technique to mount and dismount the bike. Find areas were the terrain will allow for you to get ur feet down to stop.  

I'm  also  5'5"  . I have owned All kinds of bikes . Just recently sold my  YZ 450F ,  And my KX 250 F .    I applaud you for getting a big bike , hope you enjoy .. Just remember ,  Ricky Charmichael is also our size ..  big bikes are not just for big people . I have been riding for over 60 yrs. And never grew any taller .. Never stopped me , just had to be a better rider .......  Good Luck ...