Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2011 Silverado 2500 4X4, 117k I acquired ~ a month and 400 miles ago.

Front discs squeal under light pressure/slow speeds. Might only be drivers side. Brakes work fine. The owner told me he replaced the discs recently but not the pads, they were replaced a bit earlier. He thought maybe that was the problem. I could confirm through receipts that the discs were replaced at 98k, I couldn't find anything on the pad replacement. Casual inspection shows like new rotors and plenty of life on the pads. 

Only had this problem once before maybe 20 years ago on wifey's car with new pads and original rotors, I think. Anti squeal goop on the back of the pads did the trick. Still have the goop.

I was planning on flushing the fluid anyway, so then cleaning the rotors and pads and applying the goop. 

Anything else?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my reccomendation ,  do it right ,  replace pads , cut rotors ,  apply the blue membrane material that comes with pads .....      never re use pads ,  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably replace the pads too if you're going to go through the trouble of getting to them anyway.

And check to see how the slides and pins look, but you might as well clean them and reapply brake lube there as well as the backside of the pads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Just my reccomendation ,  do it right ,  replace pads , cut rotors ,  apply the blue membrane material that comes with pads .....      never re use pads ,  

 

3 hours ago, bassjam said:

I'd probably replace the pads too if you're going to go through the trouble of getting to them anyway.

And check to see how the slides and pins look, but you might as well clean them and reapply brake lube there as well as the backside of the pads.

Any of that have anything to do with the squeaking? I think I'll stick to the plan unless I find something. Half a day and $6 including the fluid change, not much to lose. :excuseme:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get all the fluid out.   When I get a used vehicle I flush the fluid, take it out and get everything hot and flush it again.    Harbor Freight has a brake bleeder that you hook up to an air compressor and it’s very handy/fast. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again ,    asking for suggestions ,  then scoffing at the replies ........  sometimes I wonder ,  why do we do this ......? 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Again ,    asking for suggestions ,  then scoffing at the replies ........  sometimes I wonder ,  why do we do this ......? 

Liked the input, no scoffing there. 

2 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

Forward , or reverse  ?  

Forward.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to doing the brakes, a bit of research indicated high temp silicone grease was a cure and best to use on everything, slide pins, pad retainers and pad backs. I took the front apart and the rotors were like new, pads ~80% but everything was bone dry. Lubed up, reassembled, but still had the squeal, now it sounded like it was coming from the rear. Found the same there, good discs and pads, no lube so lubed it up too.

Success, and only 20 bucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

Finally got around to doing the brakes, a bit of research indicated high temp silicone grease was a cure and best to use on everything, slide pins, pad retainers and pad backs. I took the front apart and the rotors were like new, pads ~80% but everything was bone dry. Lubed up, reassembled, but still had the squeal, now it sounded like it was coming from the rear. Found the same there, good discs and pads, no lube so lubed it up too.

Success, and only 20 bucks. 

Just think what would have happened to a little lady or other non mechanical person with a "mechanic" shop or dealership.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Just think what would have happened to a little lady or other non mechanical person with a "mechanic" shop or dealership.

Yeah the magic words to a dealer service writer “my car is making a funny noise and I don’t know what it is”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Into the sunset said:

Yeah the magic words to a dealer service writer “my car is making a funny noise and I don’t know what it is”. 

Yeah, that has to be fun. But I was referring to the bill that could be presented as opposed to the $20 it cost Flagstaff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...