DRZ400SM 3.9 Clarke Gas Tank Review

Hello,

This is my review of 3.9 Gallon Gas Tank from ClarkeMFG. Let me start by listing out the things I like about the tank, followed by critique (hopefully constructive) of appearance that does NOT bother me, but might concern someone else. The objective of this post is to post information and lessons I learned when installing the tank on my 2007 DRZ400SM.

• Fitment overall is good
  • Screw threads matched up with my my stock hardware
  • Tank is solid, firm all around
  • I like how I can see the fuel level
  • The shape of the tank is great, it does not protrude beyond the tank shrouds
  • The color matches the suzuki yellow well, as seen in last photo

Lessons learned:

• You can reuse clamps/hose from EVAP/Charcol canister f you have that laying around for the Vacuum, if you're using the stock petcock.
  • I used stock fuel clamps wit 5/16 fuel hose from Autozone.
  • I should upgrade to manual petcock to avoid possible fuel going into the carb due to the increased pressure of the fuel..

Observations upon arrival/installation:

What is this red stuff? I suppose it's from the mold/jig used to thread this tank. The threads look a little chewed. I don't mind, just would hope for more when you spend 250 bucks.

1622229964_unnamed(1).jpg.26971c9eddfe367b14d8ca6f227ecb50.jpg

The seat has a bend in the oem top cover, doesn't bother me.

seat.thumb.jpg.3ac2971f72cbb460fb10734325eaad44.jpg

I paid ~$250USD for this tank. It takes 2 seconds to clean it before you give it to me, it would be nice to have that done (I know it only takes 2 seconds, but this labor should be included in the price of the tank.) WHY not include a Manual petcock too while you're at it?

burs.thumb.jpg.427e6f8457042d5971a757125a203d98.jpg

I knew about this "Tape" imprint before I bought the tank. Let's assume, it is the last part of the tank that is filled? I would also assume Clarke would fix the mold if possible. This imperfection does not bother me.

IMG-7942.jpg.2d277c83b73a7aeab9b22bcc4ffbffef.jpg

The gas cap feels cheap (As said by others. It has failed on others). The gasket also does not seem of quality. This does bother me a little, for the money, include a billet cap. The red cap here is from amazon.

cap.thumb.jpg.e9521948e90ac9de12228791cfa510e0.jpg

Right fender shroud could only fit 2 out of the 3 mounting screws 🙄. Tank seems to be secure on the bike, so I should not have to adjust it. Left shroud fits the 3 screws.

bolts.thumb.jpg.db028e1df32647badb181621cceca7cb.jpg

The color matches pretty well.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.3e4fc4c0fc74c8e22f7586aea39c6b46.jpg

I called Clarke, waiting to hear back. I will update I time goes on.

IMG-7940.jpg

Edited by neilsanjose
  • Helpful 1

The cap is the only bad part of the Clarke 3.9.Everything else on my bike fit just fine,even with Unabiker radiator guards and Yosh head pipe.I upgraded the provided shroud screws to locally sourced chrome M6 mini flange head screws to match the originals from Suzuki.I think they're made by Hillman.For the crappy Clarke cap,I used a matching black cap and vent from a Honda XR650R and have never had trouble since for at least 12 yrs.Your seat is buckled because the seat tab needs to be trimmed back a little shorter,that's what I did.Mine was black so I gauge the fuel level by resetting the trip meter at every fill up.If you know your bike's mileage then determining how much is left in the tank is very easy to do.I reused the stock vacuum petcock without the spacer and it works very well even with a FCR-MX carburetor and a CRF450 short choke knob.

• Like 1

"I should upgrade to manual petcock to avoid possible fuel going into the carb due to the increased pressure of the fuel."

Not an issue. I used the wr400 manual petcock, worked great for about 8 years now. I'm on my 2nd cap, they do better if not oversnugged as they tend to seize on a little.... on their own. It's a good tank, mine holds 16 liters, doubt it would be easy to get that last liter out and I also ditched the silly wire thingy long ago. I'd certainly buy the Clarke again, clear, like the one I have now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rustynut2 said:

That wire cross brace was rubbing on critical parts and wiring, I pitched it long ago. Can you link the billet cap from amazon, I'm on my 2nd clarke cap as the first cracked do to the gas/fumes. Nice write up

'DOSON Gas Fuel Tank Cap' 60.5mm. Was supposed to be blank on top, but it says Honda on it, as it's for a XR650R.

1 hour ago, shuswap1 said:

"I should upgrade to manual petcock to avoid possible fuel going into the carb due to the increased pressure of the fuel."

Not an issue. I used the wr400 manual petcock, worked great for about 8 years now.

This is what I want to hear! Glad the CV petcock are working for you, I hope it works for me. I will also try to store the bike with a lot of gas for too long (Could only fill it high when going on long rides)

1 hour ago, shuswap1 said:

I'd certainly buy the Clarke again, clear, like the one I have now.

I'm glad you like it. For the price though, one could hope for a decent cap and *possibly* less imperfections on the tank. But it serves it's purpose, I'm just a little grumpy!

3 hours ago, bumtarder said:

The cap is the only bad part of the Clarke 3.9.Everything else on my bike fit just fine,even with Unabiker radiator guards and Yosh head pipe.I upgraded the provided shroud screws to locally sourced chrome M6 mini flange head screws to match the originals from Suzuki.I think they're made by Hillman.For the crappy Clarke cap,I used a matching black cap and vent from a Honda XR650R and have never had trouble since for at least 12 yrs.Your seat is buckled because the seat tab needs to be trimmed back a little shorter,that's what I did.Mine was black so I gauge the fuel level by resetting the trip meter at every fill up.If you know your bike's mileage then determining how much is left in the tank is very easy to do.I reused the stock vacuum petcock without the spacer and it works very well even with a FCR-MX carburetor and a CRF450 short choke knob.

Good to know for the seat, I will definitely do that mod. Also good to know for the stock petcock for now. Thanks

I suppose I have to adjust the tank to make the right shroud fit. I might just leave it.

Edited by neilsanjose

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Spoke with Clarke Via email. They said there may have been a QC issue for the red stuff/threads. They also said the shroud may only fit two screws. Offered some refund $$ which I accepted, makes me feel better about the purchase. 

Clarke is a good company, they listened to my feedback. It's a great tank, just a little pricey, which they all are.

I went ~155mi on one tank, pretty cool compared to hitting reserve after 67mi. 

Since this tank is translucent, it's awesome you can see the fuel level.