motoxvet

DR250 - Wont start

A little more work on the DR.  I squirted some gas into the carb and after a few kicks, it started but again, try anything above 1/8 throttle, it WILL die, unless you back off the throttle a little.  Again, after several seconds it  still dies.  I still have the muffler off (testing!) so I can REALLY hear what the motor wants.  It really acts like no other fuel circuits except idle and maybe a hair above idle are working.   Carb is off again & clean enough to eat out of.  Since I don't trust the bone head PO, I don't really even know if all these carb parts are OE.  I started wondering if the emulsion tube was bottoming  on the carb body and not even reaching up to the jet needle, leaving a gap in between.  After careful checking with a dial calipers, that isn't an issue.   2 things I haven't done yet but I don't think they're critical to figure this out - check TDC on the flywheel vs. the piston position.  Since when it runs, it actually sounds good, I don't think low compression is an issue - but I'll check it anyway.  I will put the carb on my detail work bench & stare at it until something lights up.  

1 hour ago, motoxvet said:

A little more work on the DR.  I squirted some gas into the carb and after a few kicks, it started but again, try anything above 1/8 throttle, it WILL die, unless you back off the throttle a little.  Again, after several seconds it  still dies.  I still have the muffler off (testing!) so I can REALLY hear what the motor wants.  It really acts like no other fuel circuits except idle and maybe a hair above idle are working.   Carb is off again & clean enough to eat out of.  Since I don't trust the bone head PO, I don't really even know if all these carb parts are OE.  I started wondering if the emulsion tube was bottoming  on the carb body and not even reaching up to the jet needle, leaving a gap in between.  After careful checking with a dial calipers, that isn't an issue.   2 things I haven't done yet but I don't think they're critical to figure this out - check TDC on the flywheel vs. the piston position.  Since when it runs, it actually sounds good, I don't think low compression is an issue - but I'll check it anyway.  I will put the carb on my detail work bench & stare at it until something lights up.  

Check to see if the carbs mixture adjustment screw has the o-ring and washer? Seen that a lot at work, if they're missing it won't run right usually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ASP1227 said:

Check to see if the carbs mixture adjustment screw has the o-ring and washer? Seen that a lot at work, if they're missing it won't run right usually.

its a 2 stroke they have a air screw not a mixture screw

10 hours ago, ASP1227 said:

Yup, the air screw has an o-ring.  I've also tried that screw bottomed, a couple turns out AND many turns out.  Made no difference.  

referring back to the diagramm its not supposed to have a orings its just washer and spring. try taking it off and see it that makes it any better also send a picture of the spark plug to know what condition its running

47 minutes ago, Triple Nine Motorsports said:

referring back to the diagramm its not supposed to have a orings its just washer and spring. try taking it off and see it that makes it any better also send a picture of the spark plug to know what condition its running

On the Partzilla page for '85 carb, it shows an o-ring and a spring.  Mine has an o-ring but no spring and I don't see where ON MINE there's room for a spring to fit in there and be compressed to do what it's supposed to.  That's why I suspected a while back it's not the correct one but it does screw all the way in and bottom so it should work.  (BTW-It's an obsolete part from Suzuki).  I've looked at the plug many times.  It's a little damp and a little sooty.  Remember it hasn't got up to operating temp yet.  It does look like a new plug from the PO.   I'm game to trying another Suzuki carb but I'm not that familiar with the Suzuki 250 models.   If this goes no where, I may start a new thread with the question "What other 250 carbs will work on my '85 DR250?"

I pushed the DR into the short term storage shed.  I've been spending too much time on it this past week & I have to close up the cabin now so that's got priority.  Unless I find something obvious on the carb, I'm going to look for another carb to put on it.  

On 9/17/2020 at 1:46 PM, motoxvet said:

I pushed the DR into the short term storage shed.  I've been spending too much time on it this past week & I have to close up the cabin now so that's got priority.  Unless I find something obvious on the carb, I'm going to look for another carb to put on it.  

Motoxvet, Try Babbitt's Online, BABBITTSONLINE.com.  That's where I have got all the parts I needed for my 99 DR350SE.  They haven't failed me yet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GlennRay said:

Motoxvet, Try Babbitt's Online, BABBITTSONLINE.com.  That's where I have got all the parts I needed for my 99 DR350SE.  They haven't failed me yet.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I appreciate the help but it's the same as other OEM parts houses.  The carb was only used for a year or 2 but is "no longer available".  Not that I would buy one but I don't even see any corroded pieces of junk on ebay.  Rare as hens teeth!  2 things I haven't checked yet - check that the rotor hasn't sheared the key and do a compression test.  I don't think compression is a problem because when I was kicking repeatedly, I missed the compression release (actually a clever device in it's design) and when I missed, my foot STOPPED when I hit the compression stroke.  I may buy some cheap aftermarket carb just to get it rolling.  

Just now, motoxvet said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I appreciate the help but it's the same as other OEM parts houses.  The carb was only used for a year or 2 but is "no longer available".  Not that I would buy one but I don't even see any corroded pieces of junk on ebay.  Rare as hens teeth!  2 things I haven't checked yet - check that the rotor hasn't sheared the key and do a compression test.  I don't think compression is a problem because when I was kicking repeatedly, I missed the compression release (actually a clever device in it's design) and when I missed, my foot STOPPED when I hit the compression stroke.  I may buy some cheap aftermarket carb just to get it rolling.  

I didn't realize they were that rare.  I thought it would be like the 350.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlennRay said:

I didn't realize they were that rare.  I thought it would be like the 350.

My DR350SE is very sensitive to its pilot jet.  After it sits for a few weeks with out being run it won't start, no matter the temperature, except on the enrichener circuit.  After letting it run for 5 or more minutes it dies as soon as the "choke" knob is pushed in.  I have found twice now that I have to pull the float bowl off and clean out the pilot jet to make it run right.  I would take a very close look at that pilot jet circuit.  Another thing that may have nothing to do with the DR250 but was new to me when I got my DR350 was that the DR350 has a vacuum activated petcock.  As such, there is a vacuum port from the side of the carb that is connected to the back of the petcock with a hose.  This port can cause all kinds of problems if it is not sealed off.

Back on the DR after a few weeks of fall chores.  I had to BUY a compression gauge to get a 12 mm. fitting for the head.  It just arrived yesterday.  Screwed the fitting in, gave it a bunch of kicks and it peaked at 132 lb.  I squirted a couple squirts of oil down the plug hole, checked it again and the pressure went up to 190.  It kicked so hard after the oil squirts, I couldn't kick it worth a damm without using the OE compression release.   Obviously a tired motor but I HOPED it would run anyway.  Tried AGAIN to start it.  Squirted a couple of squirts of gas down the carb, kicked about 10 times and like before, it would run for a few seconds and die.  I tried to hold it at a fast idle but it wouldn't hold it.  So I don't think the low compression would be so bad as to not let it run.  It did pop a couple of times and once when I was looking in the right direction, I saw a small flame pop out of the exhaust pipe.  (Still no muffler on it)  That made me think back to a flywheel/key issue.   

12 hours ago, motoxvet said:

Back on the DR after a few weeks of fall chores.  I had to BUY a compression gauge to get a 12 mm. fitting for the head.  It just arrived yesterday.  Screwed the fitting in, gave it a bunch of kicks and it peaked at 132 lb.  I squirted a couple squirts of oil down the plug hole, checked it again and the pressure went up to 190.  It kicked so hard after the oil squirts, I couldn't kick it worth a damm without using the OE compression release.   Obviously a tired motor but I HOPED it would run anyway.  Tried AGAIN to start it.  Squirted a couple of squirts of gas down the carb, kicked about 10 times and like before, it would run for a few seconds and die.  I tried to hold it at a fast idle but it wouldn't hold it.  So I don't think the low compression would be so bad as to not let it run.  It did pop a couple of times and once when I was looking in the right direction, I saw a small flame pop out of the exhaust pipe.  (Still no muffler on it)  That made me think back to a flywheel/key issue.   

flame could be because of bad valves or bad timing i dont see why magneto key would be an issue. it either works or breaks

I had other bikes do this but were 2T's.  The key sheared and all kinds of strange popping and reluctance to start.  

if it had sheared youd be able to see that the T timing mark doesnt match the pointer in th einspection hole when piston is in TDC,

5 mins check, not rocket science....