mog

motocross My 250 two-stroke shootout

So yesterday I managed to ride a TM 250 mxe which is quite a rare bike so I thought I do a comparison with my tc250 and my old SX 250

First TM 250 it was a nice bike quite stiff feeling in the chassis and and it was stiffened suspension because we owner was a lot heavier than me

It did everything well it turned well it breaks and clutched in fact it was pretty faultless apart from the stiff feel, it has electric start which no other bike has, it feels heavy putting on the stand but not on a track

The only downside was it's very noisy from the engine

the engine itself is very enduro like it has a good hit of The bottom but after that it goes very flat.... I quite liked it

My TC 250 in comparison felt so much racier and yet  so much softer and chassis it was just more fun it suited an older guy like myself better ,the clutch is lighter than tm it's just a nicer bike in my opinion

My old SX250 in  comparison is stiffer all round quite similar to ride engine a little bit perkier and harder to ride, the clutch is not as nice as the husqvarna one but overall very similar with the preference for  me going to the hospital husqvarna

Any thing I have not covered just ask

Overall no one bike stood out too much but the husqvarna definitely takes for nod in my opinion it was easier to ride than the KTM and it just felt a little bit more forgiving them TM ,its lighter by about 5 kilos but no electric start

Edited by mog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have tried a tm125 for a couple of minutes, it was 4 years old or something. It was equipped with a vhm head and seemingly everything was aimed for peak power. An absolute shit bike to ride in comparison to an '18 sx125 that i rode before that. I didn't like both suspension and power. But that ktm was gold.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deanevo said:

I have tried a tm125 for a couple of minutes, it was 4 years old or something. It was equipped with a vhm head and seemingly everything was aimed for peak power. An absolute shit bike to ride in comparison to an '18 sx125 that i rode before that. I didn't like both suspension and power. But that ktm was gold.

Yeah, but you enjoy golden showers, so there’s that..............................................

• Haha 2

That's cool. I always wanted to try one. If I had a  choice I'd like to try the 144. I still am not sure that I would ever spend the premium price on one, unless they stood head and shoulders above whats available. Then once you factor in parts availability etc, it's a tough sell for me. But I still would like to experience one. Cool that you got to do that. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

All hogwash 

Everyone knows that any shootout that doesn’t include the blue 250 is null and void 

This shootout was to see what was 2nd place

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

All hogwash 

Everyone knows that any shootout that doesn’t include the blue 250 is null and void 

TM's aren't blue anymore? :shocked:

6 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

I certainly don’t see a need for estart on a two stroke mx bike. Maybe on a 5hunny, but that’s it.

I have a bad knee and 250s are hard to kick 

• Like 1

Is the TC that noticeably easier to ride than than the SX? Is it the motor? Suspension? or both?   

I want to try a TC 250. Since not riding much any more I just wanted a cheap bike went with an alloy frame yz250 a found that as  horrible as I remembered when they first came out. Ergos suck and the power is to aggressive.

Recently bought an 02 cr250 to just store away but after ridding I find it the best bike ever had and don’t want to get off it. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, PB729 said:

Is the TC that noticeably easier to ride than than the SX? Is it the motor? Suspension? or both?   

Its a small difference, both in smoothness and suspension

11 hours ago, mog said:

Its a small difference, both in smoothness and suspension

I've ridden the 19 SX and it is a brute! I've learned you can calm them by adjusting the power valve, but as set up it was tiring for me. Great low end roll on power...noticeably better than the YZ, followed by a brutal mid range hit (more like explosion) and then fell off hard on top. No question it's fast though!  

• Like 1

I run a PC pipe on my TC with a heavily drilled airbox.  Red spring, very little preload.  I think the over-rev is improved with the pipe and airbox drilling.  Based on memory, it's better than the RM250 and the YZ250 motor.  Both the RM and YZ were torquey but didn't have impressive peak power.  I've ridden the TC back to back with the 05 Honda, the Honda was really impressive from midrange on up but it did suffer from not much over-rev.  I didn't care for the TC motor with the stock spring and airbox, it seemed weak and narrow.  With the changes, it's pretty usable across the board.  Put on an Air Striker and you get a much cleaner bottom end, makes for an even wider power band. It's a good motor now.

I'd love to ride a TM, as I'm curious about the ergos and cornering.  My CRF450 is pretty small and suits my giant amongst Pygmies size.  I see eye to eye with the Martin brothers!  The 450 feels smaller than the TC, I'd guess the TM feels as big or bigger than the TC.  I've heard the TM was closer to Honda/Suzuki cornering but they've since abandoned that.

• Like 2

Forgot to say ,one mod I did to mine , dep silencer cut down to a shorty ,wow what a difference to bottom mid and top 

Mine has the xc-w head for easier starting ,so the mid is less abrupt 

I also have a huge Dyno test coming up 

STD engine with xcw head ( I don't have a STD head so don't ask me to test it ) 

Stic carb with 114 tube 

Stic carb with 113 tube

Vh pipe front 

Pc full pipe 

Dep silencer 

Pv springs

The aim is to get a linear smooth powerful engine with no hit ( and that I can kick )

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1