Clarke tank problems

Just now, Crapflinger said:

this is roughly the method you WOULD want to use if you were so inclined to attempt to repair the thing. the plastic tanks are basically the same as rotomolded plastic kayaks

of course, that will MOST definitely void your warranty.

Thanks, I’m trying to work with Clarke first, as soon as these fires in Oregon ore out, everyone can get back to work, myself included. 

• Like 1

Repairing something to hold water out is much than fixing and trusting something to hold gasoline in. Don't do that! :crazy:  Clarke has a super humongus liability issue to worry about, I predict they will be quick to make you happy with a new tank.

Edited by Piney Woods

5 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Repairing something to hold water out is much than fixing and trusting something to hold gasoline in. Don't do that! :crazy: 

if you say so.

it's functionally the same thing no matter what you're holding in, or out. if it were a steel tank, or an aluminum tank, welding up the hole would fix the problem as long as you actually welded up all of the holes. same with plastic welding. as long as you do it correctly, and seal the holes completely (and don't use a filler material that's not gas safe...which...PTFE is...since...like...that's what the tank is made of to begin with) then you're doing exactly the same thing as if it were being welded on a metal tank. there's nothing inherently dangerous or sketchy about doing a plastic weld whether it's on a gas tank or a kayak or a soda bottle...it's all the same concept

OF COURSE the OP needs to do a warranty claim with the manufacturer, especially since the thing is under warranty. but, Clarke is in a fire zone so...no chance of them giving have a shit about warranty claims right now.

• Like 1

If you’re looking to just try and fix it yourself, this may be alternat sealant to use (“clear” sealant vs. JB weld “gray”).   I used this on my Clarke tank when installing a new petcock o-ring.  This stuff sealed it up nicely.   Has a 24 hr curing time.

Seal-All 380112 Contact Adhesive and Sealant - 2 fl oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VK0JS4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q-tyFbT11ZWN7

If Clarke won't replace tank, the only thing out there that'll bond to this type of plastic is 3M DP8005. It comes in clear and black. I've used it on   polyethylene and polypropylene fuel tanks and although not pretty it works. Don't use Seal-All, JB Weld or "clear sealant"

I ordered an oversized tank from Clarke for a KTM SXF. It leaked from where the fuel pump mounts up, I made a gasket which fixed that issue. When I mounted it it also leaked from where the bolt that the seat slides over, once again fixed that with another home made gasket. I called Clarke and they stood by their product, they offered a replacement once I sent it back. My fix worked and continued to work well, so I never bothered to do so. Contact them, they will make things right.

I have plastic welded and used epoxy made for plastic, but neither work as good as taking some 120 sand paper, clean it as well as you can,, put superglue on it and sprinkle with baking soda.... brush off the baking soda after a few minutes and use a light wire brush to clean it up and repeat the super glue/baking soda... never had one leak again.. You tube repairing plastic tanks with super glue..

Exchange it for another one and be done with it.  Why repair a new tank.  As previous replies said I am sure Clarke will do the right thing.  You may be out a tank for a while but you paid for a new one and you are entitled to a new one that works...................no leaks and fits.  

• Like 1

Replace it with an IMS tank, and send that one back. I have seen a lot of people having problems with Clarke tanks just in the last few years, that are manufacturing defects or poor quality/inspection. Which is odd they used to be great tanks for enduro guys. Recently put an IMS on my bike and it was very well made and no issues.