offroad Stew Baylor gets loaned a Yamaha and wins GNCC

2 hours ago, Howie &%$#@!terpus said:

I really appreciate this reply, and totally understand where you’re coming from. I like you sir. I agree that in order for anyone to make a decent living racing professional motorcycles, a corporate mindset is very important. Corporate mindset for any serious job actually. Sure, Stew should observe the professional racer standards. My own personal outlook is that there should be no issues with him being outspoken and open about his personal life. Sure, there is a line that can be crossed. But I personally don’t believe he has crossed that line. He is easily one of the best guys out there right now, he deserves a ride, and he has proven he can win in GNCC, NEPG, Full Gas, ISDE, you name it. The dude also proved he can be highly competitive on pretty much every brand as well. I think he’s only not raced a Honda and a Suzuki at this point? At the end of the day, the point I was trying to make is that I don’t feel like he’s been given the opportunities he deserves simply because he is a more open outspoken type of person. And I don’t think anyone or anything is ever gonna change that. If it hampers him getting a ride and contract then yes, that’s on him. I just feel that the sport really needs guys like this to keep it interesting and fun and not so serious and political. Guys like Stew are what get people interested in GNCC and likewise events. Teams should want that in their camp. Clearly there must be more to the storyline of his raving career that has hindered his chances of a full factory effort being placed in front of him. End of story - he’s a bad ass on a bike, a cool ass dude, and would probably bring a championship or two to any brand that would give him a chance. But, at the end of the day, what do we all even know. We’re nothing but fans and spectators making speculations about his personal business. All I can say is I’m a huge fan and I wish him the best. Him winning this race was the coolest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Thanks for listening 👍🏻

I feel like this is all true. Well said. I think the dude is 1 of the most badass offroad guys out there. And I would hope Yamaha is smart enough to keep him on their bikes. They are already probably the closest brand to being an alternative to KTM, so having a great racer on the bikes and someone who is interesting for fans is a huge plus (as long as it doesn't cross a line.) And I don't really see anything with him that has ever been over the line at all. Just a little more outspoken than the typical GNCC pro. 

Edited by ah665
  • Like 3

He should have sold himslf to yamaha. Like why not credit the bike. And then brag about his skilz. And then call out Yamaha to pay to play.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

He should have sold himslf to yamaha. Like why not credit the bike. And then brag about his skilz. And then call out Yamaha to pay to play.

• Like 1

Yep. He should have been more complimentary to the Yam, just being smart. Stew seems to be a great guy that everyone likes but he does blow many opportunities to help himself. That ain't being smart.

• Like 2

I literally laugh at people who say "just be glad you have a job". Why? Cause I work my ass off and go above and beyond almost daily? Because I'm Salary and don't get paid overtime yet still work at least 50 hours a week? Because I'm knowledgeable and qualified? Nay I say. They should be glad they have me and if they can't see that.... &%$#@! em.

Maybe Yamaha should pull their heads out of their asses and hire a guy to put their bike on the top step more often.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

I literally laugh at people who say "just be glad you have a job". Why? Cause I work my ass off and go above and beyond almost daily? Because I'm Salary and don't get paid overtime yet still work at least 50 hours a week? Because I'm knowledgeable and qualified? Nay I say. They should be glad they have me and if they can't see that.... &%$#@! em.

Maybe Yamaha should pull their heads out of their asses and hire a guy to put their bike on the top step more often.

True enough, but are you on Social Media bashing your employer? Not many employers would tolerate that for very long.

• Like 5

Just now, MANIAC998 said:

True enough, but are you on Social Media bashing your employer? Not many employers would tolerate that for very long.

Also true.

The only social media I am on are car and bike forums. A big part of that is so I don't get myself in trouble in my personal and professional life lmao.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

Did Stew bash Sherco and then get let go?  I don't follow him so I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Did Stew bash Sherco and then get let go?  I don't follow him so I wouldn't know.

That’s the rumor anyhow. No idea on the accuracy of said rumor.

Edited by MANIAC998

19 hours ago, sugamari said:

i realized that as well. i know its the rider but the yamaha he rode must have been good to win a GNCC on his first time out.

10 hours ago, elrontx said:

i realized that as well. i know its the rider but the yamaha he rode must have been good to win a GNCC on his first time out.

He’s just another David Knight. Burning every bridge he crosses. He needs to go buy a couple bikes, run a season as a privateer and shut his mouth. No big team wants to bet on someone who has no restraint or tact and is a PR nightmare. The guy clearly has the skills and desire but he needs a handler/agent/manager.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

29 minutes ago, ckny said:

He’s just another David Knight. Burning every bridge he crosses. He needs to go buy a couple bikes, run a season as a privateer and shut his mouth. No big team wants to bet on someone who has no restraint or tact and is a PR nightmare. The guy clearly has the skills and desire but he needs a handler/agent/manager.

David Knight was world class talent. IMO one of the most underrated riders out there... GNCC, Trials, World Enduro, EX, Hard Enduro... So well rounded! 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

David Knight was world class talent. IMO one of the most underrated riders out there... GNCC, Trials, World Enduro, EX, Hard Enduro... So well rounded! 

Yeah, he was and still is an amazing rider. Got to hang and ride with him at the Cord. 

• Like 1

As far as I can tell no one even knows why he was let go from sherco and he raced ktm before that for pretty much his whole career, right? Is everyone just assuming he burned bridges with the teams even though he only rode for 2 of them?

If this were mx/sx matthes would have already released multiple rumors as fact surrounding the situation. But in the gncc world not a peep from either side or the media regarding why and how the sherco situation went down.

Edited by Zinergy

4 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Agree, Knight was a total badass, but he also must have had a world class mouth.

1 minute ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Agree, Knight was a total badass, but he also must have had a world class mouth.

But—he's also a multi-time, multi discipline #1 champ, and over like what, a 20yr span? 

3 hours ago, Zinergy said:

As far as I can tell no one even knows why he was let go from sherco and he raced ktm before that for pretty much his whole career, right? Is everyone just assuming he burned bridges with the teams even though he only rode for 2 of them?

If this were mx/sx matthes would have already released multiple rumors as fact surrounding the situation. But in the gncc world not a peep from either side or the media regarding why and how the sherco situation went down.

I thought he basically said that the race team bike wasn't good enough?