Getting my wife started in trail riding. Very casual. Riding with kids. She’s very comfortable on daughters drz 125, but it’s too small. The xr250r is too tall, heavy, if she got into a pinch she’d have a wreck and probably lose interest. She can ride it but just on a road. We (kids and I) just ride mountain trails, don’t get crazy, just the occasional creek or rocky hill. I want something that can simply get her comfortably from A to B. She’s probably 5’10” of average build and not looking for land speed record, ever. Does that 140G fit the bill?  Thanks!!!

There are two threads at the top of this forum that provide a wealth of info on choosing a bike for a women's needs.

Also do a Google search on "best dirt bike for a woman". Tons of info already out there.

I really like the looks of the G.  Full sized wheels always provide better stability and handling.  The weight of the bike isn't that bad either at less than 220 pounds.  Gotta love the low seat height as well.  I'm 5 ft. 5 inches tall and ride full sized machines, but if I wanted a fun little trail bike to go anywhere, this could be a reasonable choice (as long as I wasn't in any hurry at all).

• Helpful 1

I had the same issue when hunting for a bike for my wife as well. I settled upon a 2016 KTM freeride 250. It's 202 pounds, has friendly throttle response and after I put a Seat Concepts low seat on it I got it down to just over 34 inches with 21/18 wheels. It's been perfect. It's as light as a full size bike can get and has enough torque to take you up anything. Fantastic bike if you can find one. 

I had the same struggle finding the right bike, but I’m 5’3”. At 5’10” she’ll have more options. I rode a CRF 230 for many years. It was a bit heavy, but it was comfortable & very forgiving on the trails. Great bike to learn on until she’s ready for something else. I have a Beta XTrainer now which I love, but not sure I would start a new rider on it. 

• Helpful 1

11 hours ago, taschmidt said:

I had the same struggle finding the right bike, but I’m 5’3”. At 5’10” she’ll have more options. I rode a CRF 230 for many years. It was a bit heavy, but it was comfortable & very forgiving on the trails. Great bike to learn on until she’s ready for something else. I have a Beta XTrainer now which I love, but not sure I would start a new rider on it. 

I got her a 140. She loves it. She touched flat footed, and feels in control of it.  Now she’s burning around scaring the hell out of everyone. 

• Like 1

Having a bike she feels comfortable on is the key! The other thing that really helped me was taking a dirt bike class. My husband is great & has taught me a lot over the years, but taking a class on my own helped build my confidence with out the emotions of a spouse telling you what to do. 😍Have fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, taschmidt said:

Having a bike she feels comfortable on is the key! The other thing that really helped me was taking a dirt bike class. My husband is great & has taught me a lot over the years, but taking a class on my own helped build my confidence with out the emotions of a spouse telling you what to do. 😍Have fun!

You’re 100% right on the spouse instructions part. I taught my daughter which was easy and my daughter did most of the instruction with her mom. Politics...... whatever works, but I laughed when I read that about your class. 

• Like 1