Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My 2001 rm125 has a terrible clutch feel. Compared to my friends bikes (both 125s), the clutch pull is heavier and no where near as smooth (slightly notchy throughout entire pull it feels like). Are these crappy breakaway levers the cause of this, or is it that my basket is notched a tad bit, or is it something else? Cable was replaced with a new one and has similar feeling to before but a little better. 1FBFB054-04A6-424D-8327-6F8F1492C020.thumb.jpeg.d228ad523a5ae95f8b5565cee1fcc721.jpeg

5AB85AF9-8271-4784-9812-FC82872CF953.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, your basket is notched out pretty bad. I'd replace that.

Clutch springs play a part in overall feel as well. I've tried a few cheaper clutch kits, they suck.

I think Prox make an entire after market clutch for the RM 125's. Not sure about the 01 though. I have a Hinson basket in mine, with a Magura hydro clutch. I'm trying to find a good clutch kit ATM. I tried OEM first, wasn't Impressed. Hinson make HD springs for the RM125 also. Haven't tried them, but plan to.
I have a clutch in my other RM125, I think It's an EBC carbon clutch kit. I'm not positive though. That's what I plan to try next anyway. Whatever that clutch kit is, is brilliant, been in 3 different engines now, and is still perfect. It came in a 2nd hand engine I bought from the USA. Hence not knowing the brand.

The Pro-Taper Profile pro clutch perch is fantastic. Just expensive. Works Connection is also very good. You get what you pay for.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The clutch plates from an RMZ 250 fit in the RM 125, haven't checked the thickness, but plan to see if It'll work. You can't get a Hinson clutch kit for an RM, but you can for an RMZ :D
As I mentioned, you can still get Hinson clutch springs for the RM's

I've been looking for a 2nd hand, RM125 complete Hinson clutch kit, since 2013, never seen one.

Also, the Rekluse "ring" auto clutch for the RMZ fits the RM125, I'm gonna try putting YZ125 springs in it and using it in the RM125.

Anyway, was just sayin.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

Yep, your basket is notched out pretty bad. I'd replace that.

Clutch springs play a part in overall feel as well. I've tried a few cheaper clutch kits, they suck.

I think Prox make an entire after market clutch for the RM 125's. Not sure about the 01 though. I have a Hinson basket in mine, with a Magura hydro clutch. I'm trying to find a good clutch kit ATM. I tried OEM first, wasn't Impressed. Hinson make HD springs for the RM125 also. Haven't tried them, but plan to.
I have a clutch in my other RM125, I think It's an EBC carbon clutch kit. I'm not positive though. That's what I plan to try next anyway. Whatever that clutch kit is, is brilliant, been in 3 different engines now, and is still perfect. It came in a 2nd hand engine I bought from the USA. Hence not knowing the brand.

The Pro-Taper Profile pro clutch perch is fantastic. Just expensive. Works Connection is also very good. You get what you pay for.

Okay, thank you for the input. Is the (possibly) ebc carbon clutch kit just the plates or the basket as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

You can get a clutch kit, springs, steels and fibres. or just the fibres/plates.

Okay so no basket. I’ll have to take the plates off and see what the inner hub looks like as well. If I can get a little more time out of this basket I’d like to because I don’t have a job. When I need to replace I will look at the ebc carbon clutch kit though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rod21 said:

Furthermore,  appear basket has been previously filed multiple times in past, should be  chamfered which I don't see.

Lose it and get a new one.

Hmmm that’s annoying. How likely is it that my inner hub is messed up as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Max L said:

Something I just thought about - people polish transmissions for smoother use and more durability. Do people ever do this to clutch baskets as an alternative to buying a very expensive one?

That process is called Isotropic Super Finish. Polishing the basket won't do anything, except make it look blingy :D

Wiseco make a basket for the RM, as do Prox, Hinson, and Barret used to, might be a couple more brands you can still get as well, but they're the main ones.

Prox do an entire clutch kit. With Hinson you'll only be able to get the basket, and maybe clutch springs.

I need a complete new clutch for one of my engines. I think I'm going to go with the complete Prox clutch kit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

That process is called Isotropic Super Finish. Polishing the basket won't do anything, except make it look blingy :D

Wiseco make a basket for the RM, as do Prox, Hinson, and Barret used to, might be a couple more brands you can still get as well, but they're the main ones.

Prox do an entire clutch kit. With Hinson you'll only be able to get the basket, and maybe clutch springs.

I need a complete new clutch for one of my engines. I think I'm going to go with the complete Prox clutch kit.

Ah okay thanks for clearing that up. The pro x looks to be a cheaper option, I will look into it more later. Thanks for the help!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Max L said:

My 2001 rm125 has a terrible clutch feel. Compared to my friends bikes (both 125s), the clutch pull is heavier and no where near as smooth (slightly notchy throughout entire pull it feels like). Are these crappy breakaway levers the cause of this, or is it that my basket is notched a tad bit, or is it something else? Cable was replaced with a new one and has similar feeling to before but a little better. 1FBFB054-04A6-424D-8327-6F8F1492C020.thumb.jpeg.d228ad523a5ae95f8b5565cee1fcc721.jpeg

5AB85AF9-8271-4784-9812-FC82872CF953.jpeg

A basket can be filed once then it’s done  anyway you look at it a stock basket is only couple hundred less then a good basket I run a Hansen racing clutch that runs about 800 to 1000 but if you have the money get one the motor will blow before the bike bogs down just an an awesome clutch then there is another that’s about half that dessert rat I think it’s decent or stock one but still not cheap one other thing and it’s only 20.00 replace the clutch bearing while your in there the job calls for I think hour labor I can do one in 15 min if you don’t do it yourself and it’s not a recatable be careful one hour in a shop right now is 125.00 that all shops so don’t take it somewhere like billy bobs take it to ya,Kawi,Honda , or Suzuki  you’ll get quality work and if needed to go back it’s free 

Edited by iammonsterenergy989
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×
×
  • Create New...