02 KX250 BOGGING!

Idk if im posting in the correct area or not, but here goes. Little long winded, my bad. 

I have an 02 KX250 2 stroke, Fresh Top end (wiseco pro lite) cleaned powervalve and I believe its timed correctly, clean carb, 162 main, 2nd clip, 55 pilot, 48 power (per boyesen recommendations) brand new boyesen pro series reeds, and im having a horrible no power at all bog starting from barely a crack of throttle to about 1/4, and WOT. Pulls hard thru about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, then proceeds to have a bad bog with no power at all especially when trying to land on the gas. Doesn't do it on the stand, only when riding it. Also it seems as if the TPS is upside down. 

I just bought this bike, it was haggard, been going thru and fixing a bunch of broken/missing parts.. It hasn't ridden right since I got it, I just kept believing it was this or that since so much was wrong with it and the internals being so nasty. I'm at my wits end. Please, send help or send a lighter so I can burn this thing to the ground. 

Just now, Drop-Bear said:

I don't put the reed stoppers back in when i use the Boyesen pro series reeds. Might be the problem, try removing them.

I can try that, although I meant I installed the little flat bar that boyesen supplies with the reeds, not the stock reed stoppers. Id post a picture but idk how to on here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hunter Hudson said:

I can try that, although I meant I installed the little flat bar that boyesen supplies with the reeds, not the stock reed stoppers. Id post a picture but idk how to on here. 

That sounds like you've fitted them correctly then.

Have you got proper fuel flow through the fuel tank petcock/tap?

2 hours ago, Hunter Hudson said:

I believe its timed correctly

No power under load and ensuring it's timed correctly would be an easy first step to check. 

Black plug is leading to a carberretor or compression issue to me. 

Everyone has different ways of going about troubleshooting issues. 

Always look at simple things first. 

Good luck, and please don't burn it!

Edited by Rod21

3 minutes ago, Rod21 said:

No power under load and ensuring it's timed correctly would be an easy first step to check. 

Black plug is leading to a carberretor or compression issue to me. 

Everyone has different ways of going about troubleshooting issues. 

Always look at simple things first. 

Good luck, and please don't burn it!

When I referred to timing I meant I lined up the marks on the powervalve barrels, rod, etc. I have not pulled the cover and checked ignition timing. 

It just gets frustrating sometimes.. I just wanna hear my baby siiiiinnnggg. 

• Like 2

I've just recently blown up my first engine ever. In 45 yrs of riding. Didn't seize it, but needs to be re-plated. 

Fuel flow was limited by a bloody quick disconnect I had in the fuel line, bike was running lean from time to time. I kept checking and cleaning the carby thinking I had a blockage 🙄

Live and learn 😉

On 9/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, Hunter Hudson said:

When I referred to timing I meant I lined up the marks on the powervalve barrels, rod, etc. I have not pulled the cover and checked ignition timing. 

It just gets frustrating sometimes.. I just wanna hear my baby siiiiinnnggg. 

So I pulled the ignition cover and the mag was extremely rusty, as well as the magnet, bad gasket was letting water in it and wasn't getting a good spark. Also moved the needle clip to 3. She ran fast enough to get me 2 podiums this weekend so good enough for me. 

Thank you all!!