SlowDinoDog

If you bought a TPI two-stroke bike...

I’ll never go back. The only people who don’t like TPI are the ones who haven’t ridden them, and the very small percentage of people who have had issues. 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

My 2020 300 XC-W TPI is really freaking good.  Way better than any carb'd 2-stroke I've owned.

You don't see many fuel injected 4-stroke guys longing for the days of FCR pumper carbs.  It's the same deal for me and 2-stroke bikes.  I have zero interest in ever going back to a carb.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Thinking about selling my 2015 Honda accord, going to put some cash down on an 81 civic cvcc. I need the carb. This FI has been just way too predictable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Please read this and move on. The TPI vs carb pi$$ing contest has already reached its quota for the month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the problem with TPI is when it goes wrong....you're pretty much stuck.  A carb, no matter how much more inefficient can be rigged to limp you home

• Like 5
  • Helpful 3

34 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

the problem with TPI is when it goes wrong....you're pretty much stuck.  A carb, no matter how much more inefficient can be rigged to limp you home

my exact thoughts

• Helpful 1

53 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

really? no carbed bike has ever been towed out? get real

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sacrifice said:

really? no carbed bike has ever been towed out? get real

you're being obtuse. 

What if the option to be towed out isn't available? Which design do you think you might be able to fix 100 miles from anything? 

Fuel pump dies, whaddya do?  Pedestrian

I've also gotta 67 Bronco I've taken to the ends of the continent....it has a carb cuz it can be fixed. I put digital ignition on it, but I keep the points distributor in an ammo box just in case. Ever carve a rotor out of a piece of wood and get a motor to run well enough to get home? Try that with new tech.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

7 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

you're being obtuse. 

What if the option to be towed out isn't available? Which design do you think you might be able to fix 100 miles from anything? 

I've also gotta 67 Bronco I've taken to the ends of the continent....it has a carb cuz it can be fixed. I put digital ignition on it, but I keep the points distributor in an ammo box just in case. Ever carve a rotor out of a piece of wood and get a motor to run well enough to get home? Try that with new tech.

The TPI bikes overall, are proving to be very reliable. If people aren’t comfortable with them, there are carbureted options to choose from. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives and the bike is awesome. Do you fear of driving a new car across the country because the fuel pump may go out?  I feel they’ve proven themselves to be plenty reliable, so I don’t worry. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

you're being obtuse. 

and youre not?

a petcock breaks off, whaddya do? pedestrian

hypothetical situations dont mean shit. sure stuff can fail doesnt mean it will

3 minutes ago, Sacrifice said:

and youre not?

I rode with a guy last week that had the oh so great smart carb and his petcock broke and started dumping gas everywhere. Luckily we got to the truck before the tank was empty. 

Here he is trying to fix it. 78F058B3-8C0B-498E-8E9B-4F64EA6FA8C6.jpeg.58201d1dba2548323364e25201af0161.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sacrifice said:

and youre not?

I'm an engineer, I'll figure it out if it's mechanical. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, which I have often been in my life....being able to fix something has merit. If I'm concerned about performance only, sure the new tech can't be beat....but if I'm riding to Peru, I'm taking the XR600R cuz it can be fixed by someone with some wherewithall and lots of parts are interchangeable. Not so with new tech...something always fails if you use it enough.

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, 69fastback said:

I rode with a guy last week that had the oh so great smart carb and his petcock broke and started dumping gas everywhere. Luckily we got to the truck before the tank was empty. 

Here he is trying to fix it. 78F058B3-8C0B-498E-8E9B-4F64EA6FA8C6.jpeg.58201d1dba2548323364e25201af0161.jpeg

I rode with a guy last week with an oh so great EFI system....fuel pump died. Towed it out.

Everyone has a story....the big difference is when you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere. New tech has a way of leaving you without any alternatives. I'll sacrifice some performance for fixability in some situations. 

All that said, I have several bikes from different decades....all have pros and cons, but it's probably impossible to beat the reliability of the XRs

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

I rode with a guy last week with an oh so great EFI system....fuel pump died. Towed it out.

Everyone has a story....the big difference is when you are by yourself in the middle of nowhere. New tech has a way of leaving you without any alternatives. I'll sacrifice some performance for fixability in some situations. 

All that said, I have several bikes from different decades....all have pros and cons, but it's probably impossible to beat the reliability of the XRs

How many hours were on the fuel pump?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

Exactly. There are stories to both sides. Without the tools and a piece to put in place of the petcock, if my buddy had been miles from the truck, he’d been getting towed too. I’m not one to sit around and worry about all the possibilities. I do get a large smile every time I ride my bike though. I’m going tomorrow and it’s going to be awesome. A high of 70°!  Considering how it’s been 100° with high humidity, I’d have to change a jet size on my old carb’d bike. I’m just going to load the trusty old TPI in the truck, push the button, and ride 👍

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 69fastback said:

Exactly. There are stories to both sides. Without the tools and a piece to put in place of the petcock, if my buddy had been miles from the truck, he’d been getting towed too. I’m not one to sit around and worry about all the possibilities. I do get a large smile every time I ride my bike though. I’m going tomorrow and it’s going to be awesome. A high of 70°!  Considering how it’s been 100° with high humidity, I’d have to change a jet size on my old carb’d bike. I’m just going to load the trusty old TPI in the truck, push the button, and ride 👍

The new tech is awesome. I buy a new bike about every 4-5yrs. I hate selling stuff so I've got 2 sheds full and bikes stored in Idaho and California for when I travel. I've gotta 93 WR250 I just love, but if I gotta race somebody, the Beta 300RR comes out. If I'm going to ride to south America, the XR has a fat comfy seat. It's all relative.

2 minutes ago, shrub73 said:

Yikes. 

What type of bike?

20' KTM 350

7 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

which completely comes down to being prepared. no ifs/ands/buts around it. if you dont carry a new petcock youre stranded if something happened. dont carry a new fuel pump and it quits the exact same thing. CDI quits stranded. ecu quits, stranded. stators both stranded 

i take my bike and ive taken my truck places where i could get stranded. if it happens id deal with it one way or another.