Fork in hell

Hi all, so my forks have bitten the dust. Got a 2008 SM and my mechanic said he thinks they are RMZ forks? Would they be from a 250 or 450? How do you tell?   What other  forks fit the DRZ400?  I do a fair bit of off roading so what would be best? I don’t want to have to replace triple clamps as well, more expense. He said they were 47mm . Any help or advice would be most appreciated as I’m feeling a little gutted and lost at sea. 

E2CBB5B9-390A-4AB5-8731-5236353D0A50.jpeg

Please tell me how forks bite dust. Were they angry, or just hungry ?

Your "mechanic" dont seem to know much.

Maybe a sailing forum could be worth a try. ?

I find these forks fit best for biting problems ?

20200926_140501.jpg

Edited by Tony Wyp
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mikeonhisbike said:

A8F0D602-B08C-4D08-816D-78D093E1D8CB.jpeg

F836C556-9F43-4634-AE1F-27AE33E62969.jpeg

7DD9CDA7-FA30-4A75-82EE-18CD56AFBF28.jpeg

Those are the original forks.

Your fork height is off.  You should not drop them any lower than the caps.

If your mechanic knows anything about dirt bikes than he know there every individual part on the forks are replaceable. By outer sleeve, I assume you mean tube or stanchions. While these can be purchased new,  you can probably find a used set of forms for what you'll pay for a new tube.

6 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

If your mechanic knows anything about dirt bikes than he know there every individual part on the forks are replaceable. By outer sleeve, I assume you mean tube or stanchions. While these can be purchased new,  you can probably find a used set of forms for what you'll pay for a new tube.

I think he means the gold plating on the outer tubes is pock marked ?

Is he really serious ?

Screenshot_20200926-235633_ThumperTalk.jpg

19 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Yes, I noticed he hadn’t replaced them properly. It’s the tube that’s corroded. Stanchion fine. Thanks for your help. Good to know they are DRZ forks

3 minutes ago, jentzschman said:

Where is the corrosion? For fork tubes to corroded all the way through would take something like soaking them in damn salt water. Post pics of what this corrosion looks like please. 

If you zoom in you can see a tiny hole, it’s worse under the white clamp

2E5C7D69-7523-476C-8D9E-EBD896D4D961.jpeg