XR200 Motion pro throttle cable too short

Bought a motion pro replacement throttle cable for my 82’ Xr200r. 

after battling with a high and inconsistent idle, I decided to check the difference between the new and old cables. 

the cables are exactly the same length, but the housing on the new cable is 1/4 - 3/8” longer, which in turn shortens the actual cable. Re installed the old beat up cable and the idle issues are gone. Attached a photo of the routing just in case I made a mistake there. 

I checked the part number stamped on the cable, it matches what I bought. Could this be a manufacturing mistake, or should I try another brand? Moose, all balls etc...

F4C9947C-DD84-454D-869B-F24A38317E6C.jpeg

35 minutes ago, VanCity said:

Bought a motion pro replacement throttle cable for my 82’ Xr200r. 

after battling with a high and inconsistent idle, I decided to check the difference between the new and old cables. 

the cables are exactly the same length, but the housing on the new cable is 1/4 - 3/8” longer, which in turn shortens the actual cable. Re installed the old beat up cable and the idle issues are gone. Attached a photo of the routing just in case I made a mistake there. 

I checked the part number stamped on the cable, it matches what I bought. Could this be a manufacturing mistake, or should I try another brand? Moose, all balls etc...

F4C9947C-DD84-454D-869B-F24A38317E6C.jpeg

This is the 1982 XR200R 02-0036 from Motions Pro's site.

Clipboard01.jpg.60db93c9d68c93bde694b9f4340a8491.jpg

So when you lay the OEM one out against this one, the threaded end is the same length on both, but distance between the green arrows is longer than the OEM one?

Have you emailed Motion Pro about this?

I'm not sure if you have it routed correctly and have you checked with the cable running straight from the throttle housing to the carb (IE not routed) and adjusted at the throttle housing?

The oem cable is shorter between the green arrows. Which makes the actual cable longer. The routing is the same with both cables. Only with the motion pro do I have high and inconsistent idle. 

I just found this out a few hours ago, I’ll try emailing motion pro and see if I get a response 

You can fix the problem by modding the cable slider in the throttle as it is the return stop for the throttle.  Any distance you take off the throttle return stop will effectively lengthen the throttle wire.  Do you have a stock throttle on the bike?
I don't remember all of the details for the early 200Rs but I have had to use  Honda sliders in the late throttles to work with MP cables.

Edited by Chuck.

I have the stock throttle in the bike. Haven’t looked into a replacement throttle yet. 
bike is still a work in progress, still super fun to ride. 
old cable is working for now, I might try another brand and see if there might be a difference. 
Is there an aftermarket slider throttle available?

When you say slider do you mean the nylon quarter circle that guides the cable to the throttle tube? Part #11?

sorry, I’m relatively new at bikes with motors

Thanks for the help, I’m just keeping this bike rideable until the winter when I plan on replacing the clutch, rebuilding the rear shock and replacing whatever bearings I can get a hold of. 

3CDA4F87-5852-4F55-AC66-FA7267E6B9AD.gif