XR200 xr issue

hey i have a 2001 xr200 that I just recently purchased, I've worked on a few bikes in the past and have worked on a few hondas mostly 50cc to 100cc , anyway I decided to take off stator cover to check for wear and I did not realize it had a wet stator so i snugged up cover and drained it through drainage hole.i then removed cover to inspect condition everything looked great so i put cover back on.Now it stuck when I try to kick it over the engine will turn one full turn and the stops dead i it will rollback the same amount is also stops dead . Kick starter will  not kick over in neutral and when its in gear it spins the full rotation and again stops dead if anyone knows what is happening or how to fixit any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Edited by dizzy__1 oz
spelling errors

Did it kick over just fine before you pulled the cover??

Did it run??

Sounds to me like a bent valve at the very least ... That's what stops it from turning it over .. piston hitting the bent valve ..

I was just checking to make sure there was no wires fraying also to see if there was any play in the crankshaft as the bike is 20yrs old, also when I bought the bike the guy said he couldn't get it started , one  valve cap was broken , motor mount was broken one of the other motor mount bolts was half way out missing the nut ,  it was leaking oil ...so after I cleaned it up and fixed the mounts , cleaned carb and a few other minor things i decided to try starting it   put some fresh gas it and it fired right up first kick , i ran it for a couple hours and about 5 mins before i parked it that day i noticed a knock in the engine and the knovk was more noticeable when the bike was leaning for a left turn. So I immediately headed back loaded it up ,a week later I changed the front fork seals and when I was done went to move it and it was in gear and I heard it clunk so I pulled the plug and tried cranking it with my hand thats when I pulled the cover off up. So im guessing the knocking was one of the valves and it was just luck or coincidence that i stopped when I did. 

You have big problems... Time to pull the engine all the way down ...and pull out your debit card $$$...

Bummer...

Was it a knock or a tick from the valves or timing chain.  I have a couple of these that are 30 years old and helped a friend rebuild his.  Even in very bad shape none of them had a knock. 

timing chains stretch on these or the tensioner get stuck and doesn’t take up the slack. Hopefully it’s a simple issue and not a bike that someone ran dry

You need to take a hard look at your timing chain.  As mentioned the chains get loose and will eventually skip time.  Then you have a valve and a piston trying to occupy the same space at the same time. It doesn't take much to bend the valve stem, but if you were very gentle with it you may get lucky.