Will rigging the engine to eliminate the shutoff feature provide normal long life? My engine is at 129K and still fine but getting a little worried. Would like to keep the vehicle but not if it is a ticking time bomb.

Posted (edited)

It will help tremendously. My 2007 chevy tahoe is all screwed up by the AFM . I use one of those little dongles to keep it off and its definitely helping keep my engine from ruining itself . It will also keep it from sounding really stupid if you have aftermarket exhaust.   The only issue with the dongle is it will kill the batter after a few days . If its an everyday driver its fine but if its a weekend rig you should pull the dongle when sitting . Im honestly surprised you havent noticed an engine miss already from the AFM. 

Edited by 510KTM

The only thing I notice is when the engine shuts off the cylinders while just easing along on the highway like it is designed to do.  Maybe ours is working fine. Was just wondering if I should do something.

Piney what year? I’m at 70k on my 2016 and honestly haven’t had a hiccup. The truck pulls 22+ mpg on colorado highways with a bike in the back. I really haven’t thought about shutting off the AFM

On 10/9/2020 at 3:43 PM, Officer Mike said:

Piney what year? I’m at 70k on my 2016 and honestly haven’t had a hiccup. The truck pulls 22+ mpg on colorado highways with a bike in the back. I really haven’t thought about shutting off the AFM

129K, and growing daily. Wife's '17 Tahoe will turn 30K tomorrow on a trip, never an issue on it either. Not sure what I'm going to do.

I don’t know much about the little thing that keeps it from switching to 4 cylinders.  I do know that the only way to really eliminate it is to go into the engine and change the lifters.  They are the real problem.  Most people swap to a high performance cam while they’re at it.  You pick up 50+ rwhp and make your engine more reliable. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:38 AM, JFortner5 said:

I don’t know much about the little thing that keeps it from switching to 4 cylinders.  I do know that the only way to really eliminate it is to go into the engine and change the lifters.  They are the real problem.  Most people swap to a high performance cam while they’re at it.  You pick up 50+ rwhp and make your engine more reliable. 

The issue with that is emissions testing . You cant put regular lifters in it with out reprogramming the ECM and you cant  do that if your state does emissions testing . 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:38 AM, JFortner5 said:

I really like the sound of that. Luv the vehicle and would like to keep it. If you have more details of the cam etc I sure would appreciate it. Cams come in many different flavors. Thanks.

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-gen-iv-07-13-truck-dod-delete-kit.html

It is pretty involved it requires the heads to come off.  The good news is the LS engines are easy to work on.  If it’s not giving you any issues it’s probably ok to hold off but only you can decide that.  I do know someone with an 07 Suburban with the same engine.  Unfortunately on theirs I think a lifter went bad and wiped the cam lobe off and sent metal through the engine.   They ended up getting a new motor after only about 130k miles.  

Edited by JFortner5