NickStix

YZ250X YZ250x governor/PV mod

Hey guys, had a quick question that may seem pretty obvious to some of you more mechanically inclined folks. I want to try out the governor/PV mod but can't find any forums or videos of instructions from start to finish. All the videos I have found start with a complelty disassembled engine and just show how to remove the washer. All I really want to know is if I am going to need to drain the coolant and oil before starting. I know you need to remove the whole right side of the crank case to access the govenor, and I originally thought I might be able to get around an oil change just by leaning the bike on its side and letting the oil drain to one side. I've read in the forums guys saying they did the mod, didn't like it, and them immediately returned it to stock. I have a hard time imagining they drained coolant/oil to change it, refilled coolant and oil to test it, just to drain the coolant/oil again to change it back, and refill again. 

1 hour ago, NickStix said:

Hey guys, had a quick question that may seem pretty obvious to some of you more mechanically inclined folks. I want to try out the governor/PV mod but can't find any forums or videos of instructions from start to finish. All the videos I have found start with a complelty disassembled engine and just show how to remove the washer. All I really want to know is if I am going to need to drain the coolant and oil before starting. I know you need to remove the whole right side of the crank case to access the govenor, and I originally thought I might be able to get around an oil change just by leaning the bike on its side and letting the oil drain to one side. I've read in the forums guys saying they did the mod, didn't like it, and them immediately returned it to stock. I have a hard time imagining they drained coolant/oil to change it, refilled coolant and oil to test it, just to drain the coolant/oil again to change it back, and refill again. 

You need to drain coolant either way, but you can leave oil in if you perform the surgery on its side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

You need to drain coolant either way, but you can leave oil in if you perform the surgery on its side.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will wait on it then. I wanted to try it out before I installed the new head, but seeing as I will have to drain the coolant for that as well I will just do them together. 

55 minutes ago, NickStix said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will wait on it then. I wanted to try it out before I installed the new head, but seeing as I will have to drain the coolant for that as well I will just do them together. 

I think it’s important to do them separate. You should understand what each one does to the performance on their own. Get a clean jug and funnel, loosen the cap,  drain from the bottom bolt then reuse coolant when done. Takes 60 seconds.

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

I think it’s important to do them separate. You should understand what each one does to the performance on their own. Get a clean jug and funnel, loosen the cap,  drain from the bottom bolt then reuse coolant when done. Takes 60 seconds.

Solid advice, thanks a ton. 

• Like 1

I for one have done this mod, and perhaps due to living and riding at a higher altitude, I have never thought once of returning back to the stock configuration.  It just feels so

much more frisky.

1385435630_MorePictures2018006.JPG.3f3f4da506f7feb3a7c0304e996c597a.JPG

48 minutes ago, Kinger317 said:

Yes very important actually.  I have learned from Kinger, that when you have a bunch of mods you want to throw at the bike, to do just one at a time.  Try the mod out.  Perform lap times and see how each mod does.  Don't just shotgun a ton of stuff onto the bike and hope for the best.  Learned the hard way.  

• Helpful 1

Anyone with an X who hasn't done the PV mod is missing out on the single best enhancement on this bike.  It is absolutely indisputable improvement for any terrain.  Riding an X without the PV mod is like using an iPhone to just make phone calls...lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 95jersey said:

Anyone with an X who hasn't done the PV mod is missing out on the single best enhancement on this bike.  It is absolutely indisputable improvement for any terrain.  Riding an X without the PV mod is like using an iPhone to just make phone calls...lol.

I like it, but I could see how others wouldn't as well. It made the powerband come on harder and snappier rather than a smooth roll into it. I guess it does make the bike a bit less controllable, but I think it's way more fun. Definitely not going back to stock. 

2 hours ago, NickStix said:

I like it, but I could see how others wouldn't as well. It made the powerband come on harder and snappier rather than a smooth roll into it. I guess it does make the bike a bit less controllable, but I think it's way more fun. Definitely not going back to stock. 

I think it takes away the abrupt hit (that is a bit overwhelming at times) and puts that power down low.  Instead of having practically nothing on the bottom, then all of a sudden...bam 45hp at 1/4 throttle, it gives you feedback right at the crack of the throttle.  I think it is way more controllable.  Also, it takes away the mid range flat spot that is prominent on the X.  my $0.02

One trick i learned is when you go to reinstall the side case you will need to realign all the gears. Dont just force it on. If the case doesnt match up perfectly you’ll want to push on the case lightly while you rock the rear wheel back and forth in gear. That should move all the gears a little bit so everything meshes together nicely. 

• Helpful 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:05 PM, Luke Hufford said:

One trick i learned is when you go to reinstall the side case you will need to realign all the gears. Dont just force it on. If the case doesnt match up perfectly you’ll want to push on the case lightly while you rock the rear wheel back and forth in gear. That should move all the gears a little bit so everything meshes together nicely. 

Quick question. When installing the case cover back on, is there any way to ensure or tell that the pv gear is meshed right? I placed the cover on, rotated the clutch assembly slightly until the case dropped down. The water pump was meshed right and spun when I rotated the clutch assembly. Should I be good to go? Kinda worried cause I can't be 100% sure that the pv gear is meshed properly as well. There's really no way to look or tell.. Thanks in advance 

On 11/22/2020 at 1:10 AM, Dconer1 said:

Quick question. When installing the case cover back on, is there any way to ensure or tell that the pv gear is meshed right? I placed the cover on, rotated the clutch assembly slightly until the case dropped down. The water pump was meshed right and spun when I rotated the clutch assembly. Should I be good to go? Kinda worried cause I can't be 100% sure that the pv gear is meshed properly as well. There's really no way to look or tell.. Thanks in advance 

Its one of those things...in either it works or doesn't.  If it dropped in fine and everything rotates, your good to go.

17 hours ago, 95jersey said:

Its one of those things...in either it works or doesn't.  If it dropped in fine and everything rotates, your good to go.

Exactly.  I was like him, always guessing about whether it was on all the way or not.  I took that stupid case on and off Idk how many times.  But in the process, I made the case not work so I could see how it looked wrong, then I made the case work so I could see how it looked right.....  Then I figured it out, put it on said yup looks good, buttoned her up and rode her.  No grinding sounds lol..