MX TECH Lucky Fork and Shock - by Enduro Spec

10 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

I think I have read all of Kranny's threads and sometimes given him a hard time. But in truth I totally understand his quest. I had a bike once that became magical after pro tuning and it forever spoiled me to what is possible. It gave me supreme confidence and elevated my mediocre skills to a higher level with trophies to prove it.  Then I bought a couple bikes with AL frames and for whatever reason I have been miserable since with wasted $$$$ on susp mods. For me susp is by far the most critical mod for me and I understand doing whatever it takes to achieve success. If only I could figure out what that "whatever" is.  Good luck Kranny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I'm still gonna have some fun with you occasionally. ?

My 2003 WR450F with the Enzo set-up 2006 YZ suspension was magical. Lots of frame compliance, and zero flex in the forks. My favorite combination. That's one of the main reasons I liked my 2016 430 so much, as it had a lot of frame complaince......but the forks....got them to  be acceptable, then gave up. 

I made 3 more AL framed WR-YZ's after that, trying to re-capture the magic. I got close, but the frames just got stiffer and stiffer each year.....

My 2008 CRF450R with re-valved Showa was another one. Added Rekluse, and it was fun....but the stally-stally on the tight single track go old really fast.  I drilled out the motor mount brackets so they would flex more!  No one belived me it made a difference....till they climbed a rutty hill on that bike.....but No estart...

Hell, even my tank of a CRF450X had really well valved suspension from AS Racing, that was comfly and controlled. 

In 1975 I rode a CR250 Elsinore two stroke with factory Showa suspension, and was blown away ! 4" of travel that made you feel like a hero! 

Then my 1977 RM250 with the Thorwaldson swingarm and shocks and Al Baker forks. I got a holeshot at Saddleback with that one...... What a bike! 10" of pretty good travel.

......and then their's the DKW !   Koni's in the rear, Betors up front.  Highest center of gravity bike ever.   Would not lean over unless there was a rail berm to use.....

scan0008.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

My 2003 WR450F with the Enzo set-up 2006 YZ suspension was magical. Lots of frame compliance, and zero flex in the forks. My favorite combination. That's one of the main reasons I liked my 2016 430 so much, as it had a lot of frame complaince......but the forks....got them to  be acceptable, then gave up. 

I made 3 more AL framed WR-YZ's after that, trying to re-capture the magic. I got close, but the frames just got stiffer and stiffer each year.....

My 2008 CRF450R with re-valved Showa was another one. Added Rekluse, and it was fun....but the stally-stally on the tight single track go old really fast.  I drilled out the motor mount brackets so they would flex more!  No one belived me it made a difference....till they climbed a rutty hill on that bike.....but No estart...

Hell, even my tank of a CRF450X had really well valved suspension from AS Racing, that was comfly and controlled. 

In 1975 I rode a CR250 Elsinore two stroke with factory Showa suspension, and was blown away ! 4" of travel that made you feel like a hero! 

Then my 1977 RM250 with the Thorwaldson swingarm and shocks and Al Baker forks. I got a holeshot at Saddleback with that one...... What a bike! 10" of pretty good travel.

......and then their's the DKW !   Koni's in the rear, Betors up front.  Highest center of gravity bike ever.   Would not lean over unless there was a rail berm to use.....

scan0008.jpg

That's a pretty nice ass for a dirtbiker.

• Haha 1

I think the frame thing is like other suspension parameters, some people are more sensitive than others to changes.  I can feel the alloy frame being stiffer, but it does not bother me in itself, as long as the suspension is set up well it works as a system.  What I think it does do is make front/rear balance more important as it seems you can feel any flaws easier.

Kran, curious about what you did back then as far as correcting egos, because all of the old bikes were tiny by todays standards.  I've ridden from the early '70s as a kid and don't remember anyone doing tall seats, low pegs, etc. as there was just far less available, at least for the masses.  

• Like 1

Well, went for a ride today.  

Suspension did not get much of a work out. 

Here is my ride pic of the day....

20201018_080513_resized_2.jpg

..... i forgot the key and we were unsucsseful at hot wiring.....

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What's your problem? Yes, you did miss the point. For the last time I never said he couldn't spend his money any way he wanted and even if I did so what? Why is this so important to you?

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I hope he is very happy with his choice and enjoys it. DONE!!!!!

44 minutes ago, ktm400rcer said:

What's your problem? Yes, you did miss the point. For the last time I never said he couldn't spend his money any way he wanted and even if I did so what? Why is this so important to you?

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I hope he is very happy with his choice and enjoys it. DONE!!!!!

You are boring, can we move on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:59 PM, ktm400rcer said:

East Coast and West Coast riding are completely different. The same goes for the midwest, although much of it is like the east. Local shops can usually give you the heads up about what works where. There are some national shops like Factory connection for example that have multiple facilities. They will revalve differently for NH than for CA or elsewhere. The same goes for MX and Off road/Enduro valving. Unless you're competing for a National Championship (or have money to burn perhaps?) 2600.00 is ridiculous money. It would probably be better spent on rider coaching. A solid revalve from a reputable source can be had for under 500.00 normally front and rear. 

I'll leave you with this example. About 10 years ago there was an invitational ride in PA. Several riders showed up with their state of the art machines. Most of them were beaten by a rider on a late 80's XR 250 which was mostly stock. The rider in question was a very fast local rider/racer. The bike was probably worth about 1K. I remember seeing a article in one of the magazines discussing a local pro MX'er in the late 70's. He kept spending money on his bike looking for that advantage. He was asked if Roger Decoster rode his bike and he rode Decoster's works bike, who would win? His reply was "no contest". The journalist agreed and stated that "Roger would have lapped you, probably more than once". Point is, if your suspension is that bad that you need to spend 2600.00, perhaps you'd be better off on another bike or..........

I do hope your expenditure was well worth it for you. 

YOU ARE SO WRONG ON THIS. I for one am an example. I was racing moto at Muddy creek in the 90s. could get holeshots but couldnt hang on until end of race no matter how much training I did. I bought aftermarket custom suspension and won almost every race the rest of the year and even had one that I crashed in first turn and came back and won. I could barely keep top 4 or 5 before. with this suspension I became fast enough in a year to start running a class before breaking my back while trying out another bike to buy. great suspension is everything and well worth it when you get it right.

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, ekymxracer said:

YOU ARE SO WRONG ON THIS. I for one am an example. I was racing moto at Muddy creek in the 90s. could get holeshots but couldnt hang on until end of race no matter how much training I did. I bought aftermarket custom suspension and won almost every race the rest of the year and even had one that I crashed in first turn and came back and won. I could barely keep top 4 or 5 before. with this suspension I became fast enough in a year to start running a class before breaking my back while trying out another bike to buy. great suspension is everything and well worth it when you get it right.

Without at least a basic level of understanding you could spend all the money in the world on suspension and still be nowhere.There are plenty of guys who wont touch a clicker,change springs or set oil height because it's beyond their comprehension.There is a guy who recently posted on here that he installed aftermarket cartridges and is seeking help because he doesn't know what what the clickers do.Granted there used to be some suspension that had to be reworked because it came so far off the mark for the end user,like a dedicated mx bike for woods use or the garbage factory fork setting on my 2011 GG, Most every newer enduro bike available is perfectly usable,save for springs and oil height to all but experienced expert riders.

Not saying there is no room for improvement in any area in life but without a foundation of knowledge built on the fundamentals your chasing a moving target and throwing large sums of money at it in search of a solution will only make your wallet lighter.

• Like 1