Jump to content
KRAYNIAL

Beta4Stroke MX TECH Lucky Fork and Shock - by Enduro Spec

Recommended Posts

I bought a Natty last year. It would be near impossible for me to ever go back to a stock shock. I was fortunate that my suspension guy has one for me to demo. After I mounted and rode it, I bought one shortly afterwards.

Kranbear has made an excellent decision. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

Kranbear has made an excellent decision. 

Agreed,  both Kyle and I approve of the Beta 390 choice as well.  It's the bike of choice for those of us who are discerning as well as handsome and obviously very talented riders. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

I bought a Natty last year. It would be near impossible for me to ever go back to a stock shock. I was fortunate that my suspension guy has one for me to demo. After I mounted and rode it, I bought one shortly afterwards.

Kranbear has made an excellent decision. 

Pretty sure he got the Lucky and had Endurospec build up his Sach shock. If he got both for $2600 I need that discount code🤑

Edited by Johnny Depp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, redhurricane said:

How fortunate we are to be able to freely spend hard earned dollars on what we want. Out of any of the suspension tuners I have dealt with, Aaron at All Moto Performance has been the most helpful, forthcoming, and accurate in his work. I'll still use him for the xtrainer, but now delving into doing my own suspension with Race Tech simply because I am not smart enough to analyze Restackor data and the RT kits are pretty easy to work with. After installing a dozen or so of them I have it down fairly well and the minor added expense for the kit versus just buying shims is no biggie. I bought 4 new bikes in one day, not something I do often but when the time is right I will spend big to get things we enjoy. 

@KRAYNIAL bring that bike out to Johnson Valley around Thanksgiving and put it through the paces in the whoops and rocks around Soggy and the KOTM course. 

Johnson Valley is cool. Last time I was there we followed the enduro event's path, and it kicked all of my asses. It was too brutal.....and that was the DOWN hill portion.  

I have ridden all around the 'YPL' areas south of Apple Valley, Ord Mountain, Barstow, Plaster City, etc. 

It's so friggin far from my home....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, redhurricane said:

I added one of these to mine, once my shock body arrives I will be able to see what difference it makes. 

image.thumb.png.262938d437d5cabe4204fa3a5a355c63.png

That looks familar.....

Brain at N2Dirt just serviced my forks (blown cartridge seal), added the new shock adjuster and valved it, and added a new 'Secret Sauce' shim stack to the forks

20201016_154409_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Odysseus said:

A lot of these obsessive suspension fixations can be cured with an eight ball and a hooker. Not condoning it,just sayin.😇

OK, that's the first hour, then what.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

Johnson Valley is cool. Last time I was there we followed the enduro event's path, and it kicked all of my asses. It was too brutal.....and that was the DOWN hill portion.  

I have ridden all around the 'YPL' areas south of Apple Valley, Ord Mountain, Barstow, Plaster City, etc. 

It's so friggin far from my home....

I'm towing a 12,000# toy hauler 1050 miles one way to ride there. what's your excuse? We'll ride the KOTM areas, big sand dunes around to Anderson, up Rattlesnake and around to Willie Boy, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, redhurricane said:

I'm towing a 12,000# toy hauler 1050 miles one way to ride there. what's your excuse? We'll ride the KOTM areas, big sand dunes around to Anderson, up Rattlesnake and around to Willie Boy, etc. 

My excuse is.....I have all I need right near me. Extreme trails are for the youngsters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

That looks familar.....

Brain at N2Dirt just serviced my forks (blown cartridge seal), added the new shock adjuster and valved it, and added a new 'Secret Sauce' shim stack to the forks

20201016_154409_resized.jpg

Kran did you have that shock broken down and coated, or is the factory casting now black?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GP said:

Kran did you have that shock broken down and coated, or is the factory casting now black?

Stillwell did the coating to the shock and fork back in November 2018 right after I picked up the (2019)  bike. 

Brain said yesterday " the fork hard anodizing is not working. The fork is still eating itself up from the inside ".

I don't know if he realized that I'm at about 170 hours on the bike..... but yeah.

The revalve respring was first done by Stillwell at 10 hours, then refreshed at 50 by N2Dirt , rebuilt and re-valved at 90 (shock got KYB piston), refreshed at 130, Rebuilt and updated at 150 (new front and rear valving, which did not work well at all) , and rebuilt updated just now at 170 (one inner cartridge had failed, new fork valving, new shock adjuster and valving)

The ride around the block test shows that the fork valving is much better, still supple but much less brake dive , and the rear wheel now moves much faster without being too soft.  I test that by turning in an arc while going over a low curb under power. Before it would jump, then bounce. Now it grabs and sticks. Very scientific.

Yes, I did take it in more often that normal, but the fork was always a mess. It would get better, I would ride it over familar terrain a bit faster, and discover the same problems only now at a higher speed.  The fork on this bike has never had a decent range of speed/control.  I would ride my KTM/Dal Saggio, then go back to the Beta and be really dissapointed, wanting more control and speed range. 

Edited by KRAYNIAL
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Just_a_trail_rider said:

"I was just wondering why you said that if he spent $2600 he might have the wrong bike."

I realize that some people would rather own something different such as a Beta. However, perhaps a Sherco, KTM, Husky or Japanese mount would be of lower cost and easier to set up. In 95 when I bought my 1st KTM it was only because they were easier to get a plate as it's a necessity for Enduro racing in ECEA and NETRA. It was a great bike except for the horrid Marzocchi forks which worked when they wanted to. I spent quite a bit of money on them finally gutting them for a C Cycle KYB kit. It was better but not worth the money I spent. Now I had them revalved and resprung previously and they did improve but were too inconsistent. Overall I spent way too much when the answer was perhaps selling it for a different machine. 

 

 

"Also regarding the money spent... it may not be as bad as you think..     When I ordered my Beta last year, I have never spent so much money on a bike before... up front!    I have spent even more piecing bikes together.  So when you are about 14-15K invested in a dirtbike, what's a few dollars more for a trick suspension if it makes you happy"

Well that's one way to look at it. However, after all the money I spent on bike mods over the years I ask myself was it really worth it? Some yes and some no. No matter how you look at it, 2600 is some serious coin unless you make your living racing or want to. Looking back, I think if I took my training more seriously and practiced more, I might have gone further than I did. I also think I may have benefited more from professional instruction rather than throwing money at a bike. Then again, maybe not.

If the OP is happy, that's what counts to him. That's great. However, others reading this may think they need to do the same. Perhaps they don't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Well you did. Shouldn't matter to you, or anyone how a grown ass man wants to spend his money. 

Just because someone isn't the highest caliber rider in the world doesn't mean he can't have nice things.

Not at all. You're attempting to put words in my mouth. He can spend his money any way he see's fit and I don't give a damn. However, I can also state my opinion any way I see fit. Like I stated at the end of my post, I hope he likes it and it was well worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ktm400rcer said:

Not at all. You're attempting to put words in my mouth. He can spend his money any way he see's fit and I don't give a damn. However, I can also state my opinion any way I see fit. Like I stated at the end of my post, I hope he likes it and it was well worth it.

The best you've ridden is the best you know. 

Good suspension is worth every penny, from amateur to pro. 

  • Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have read all of Kranny's threads and sometimes given him a hard time. But in truth I totally understand his quest. I had a bike once that became magical after pro tuning and it forever spoiled me to what is possible. It gave me supreme confidence and elevated my mediocre skills to a higher level with trophies to prove it.  Then I bought a couple bikes with AL frames and for whatever reason I have been miserable since with wasted $$$$ on susp mods. For me susp is by far the most critical mod for me and I understand doing whatever it takes to achieve success. If only I could figure out what that "whatever" is.  Good luck Kranny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I'm still gonna have some fun with you occasionally. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

The best you've ridden is the best you know. 

Good suspension is worth every penny, from amateur to pro. 

Yes and no. Sometimes you need to cut the proverbial rope, take a step back and watch what your doing. Value is the key. Once again, I hope he's supremely happy.

Edited by ktm400rcer
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ktm400rcer said:

Yes and no. Sometimes you need to cut the proverbial rope, take a step back and watch what your doing. Value is the key. Once again, I hope he's supremely happy.

If Kranny rides better feels safer, has more confidence and doesn't get as tired as quick, why would he want to "step back“? 

And some just have 'FU' money, and value is just a perception of an individuals beliefs. 

Your argument for 'less' holds no water

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

If Kranny rides better feels safer, has more confidence and doesn't get as tired as quick, why would he want to "step back“? 

And some just have 'FU' money, and value is just a perception of an individuals beliefs. 

Your argument for 'less' holds no water

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

As this is becoming tedious I will leave you with this true story. In my time racing ECEA and Netra events along with participation in club rides and some general D/S events, I had the opportunity to ride with certain people who could do some amazing things with bone stock bikes. Some of them included Mike Lafferty, Drew and Chris Smith, Jeff Kirchner, Fred Hoess and others including one of my best friends, the late Tim Shann who was a former ECEA class champion. I even had the opportunity to briefly trail ride with some Canadian guy named Blair who was absolutely amazing. The one thing I learned from all of them is technique above all else is the most important thing. I spent lots of money on suspension myself and any one of them could make me look ridiculous slow on a bike with just basic setup. 

You completely missed the point I was trying to make but that's ok. I wish you and the OP the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ktm400rcer said:

That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

As this is becoming tedious I will leave you with this true story. In my time racing ECEA and Netra events along with participation in club rides and some general D/S events, I had the opportunity to ride with certain people who could do some amazing things with bone stock bikes. Some of them included Mike Lafferty, Drew and Chris Smith, Jeff Kirchner, Fred Hoess and others including one of my best friends, the late Tim Shann who was a former ECEA class champion. I even had the opportunity to briefly trail ride with some Canadian guy named Blair who was absolutely amazing. The one thing I learned from all of them is technique above all else is the most important thing. I spent lots of money on suspension myself and any one of them could make me look ridiculous slow on a bike with just basic setup. 

You completely missed the point I was trying to make but that's ok. I wish you and the OP the best.

I didn't miss the point. You are 100% correct that talent, skill, hard work, sacrifice blah blah blah will trump the best most expensive bike or setup made...

But, Kranny does not strive to be the best, nor does he care to be. But what he does have is money, and if he chooses to spend his money (regardless of his skill level), that's his choice... Sure as shit doesn't need you telling him that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And at least he found satisfaction! Over the years I have spent more on various susp "tuners" and still a total fail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...