03 CRF450R Water in engine and puking out Coolant

So I recently drown my crf in some mud/water, it only got in through the exhaust and shut down right before any got inside the engine (or atleast im hoping so). The bike then sat for awhile until I recently tried to get it going, I dumped the float bowl, replaced the spark plug, and did a oil change. The bike then started just fine. I had it going for half an hour to 45 min idling just to get everything through the engine that was in there. When I shut the bike off it just started to puke out coolant from the bottom end. Not sure if I overheated it or what but just freaked out I cooked the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, HRC27 said:

If you let it idle that long, you overheated it. These things can only be idled a couple minutes without a fan blowing air over the radiators.

Ya I missed the part where he said.

3 hours ago, James917 said:

I had it going for half an hour to 45 min idling just to get everything through the engine that was in there. When I shut the bike off it just started to puke out coolant from the bottom end. Not sure if I overheated it or what but just freaked out I cooked the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm slightly surprised in didn't start boiling over after say a few mins idling like you said.

• Like 1

yea, find where the coolant was coming out. more than likely it was a tube. and even more likely that tube can be traced up to the radiator cap. you definitely has a bbq going in the engine but you didnt do any real damage if it didnt seize while it was running.

with mx bikes that dont have rad fans, ESPECIALLY 450's, dont let them idle more than 10-15 minutes or they'll start spitting.

if you cooked the engine or blew a gasket it would be blowing white smoke out the exhaust. like clouds of it. top the coolant off (fill it until you can just start to see it wash over the top inner grate is a safe bet), and start it. if it runs you're good to go. if it spits a little more its ok, thats just cause you topped off the coolant and its re-leveling

also, side note, if you drowned it, its time for a piston, rings, and a top end inspection anyway. especially after you just cooked that poor piston:bonk:  (jk jk jk, the parts that are in there are fine from getting hot. but its a good idea to at least inspect and do a piston after a downing)

Edited by Will05W.