laptopdragon

washington riding and target shooting

Since the shooting ban lifted I was wondering if there's any places where we can camp, ride and shoot in Washington.

I know Walker Valley is on DNR land (or at least afaik the public is allowed to shoot there ) but I don't know of any places where we can camp, ride and shoot.

48 minutes ago, laptopdragon said:

Since the shooting ban lifted I was wondering if there's any places where we can camp, ride and shoot in Washington.

I know Walker Valley is on DNR land (or at least afaik the public is allowed to shoot there ) but I don't know of any places where we can camp, ride and shoot.

Walker is entirely a no-shoot area, I believe. And even if it isn’t, it’s not a good idea to shoot there. 

Edited by jrodicus100
  • Like 2

Capitol forest

There is a shooting area just across the road from wadell creek campground 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jrodicus100 said:

Walker is entirely a no-shoot area, I believe. And even if it isn’t, it’s not a good idea to shoot there. 

I've never shot there but people definitely do or, at least have on the way along Peter Burns road.
 Also, I didn't intend on shooting in the trails or staging areas, merely the general vicinity while I have seen shotgun shells on the ground in the 4x4 areas.

12 minutes ago, guns_equal_freedom said:

Google up "Harry Osborne State forest shooting" and "Harry Osborne State forest motorcycles".

thanks, will do.

1 minute ago, 4link said:

Capitol forest

There is a shooting area just across the road from wadell creek campground 

I know Capitol is open now, but doesn't it close in Fall and through the winter?
 thanks and I do want to check out that lookout point someday.

3 hours ago, laptopdragon said:

I know Capitol is open now, but doesn't it close in Fall and through the winter?
 thanks and I do want to check out that lookout point someday.

capitol forest closes to orv use November 1st to May 1st

15 minutes ago, 4link said:

capitol forest closes to orv use November 1st to May 1st

I thought it was December 1st.

Wow, they must have changed it this year or something. I always used to ride there on the day after Thanksgiving when my girlfriend lived down the block. Staging area was open and a few other riders were usually there too.

26 minutes ago, laptopdragon said:

why is that funny?
 afaik that place is strictly for hiking.

Because most of us already have to dodge random shooters at areas we ride. Many of them have "no idea" there are riders on trails they are shooting around, and don't realize that many times we cannot hear them until very late. Too bad the sanctioned shooting areas are near / connected to riding areas because at some point, there will be tragedy. Tiger mt would send some "heat" over to the hikers and bikers instead of ORV areas. At NO time, and I describing you fyi...

Joe

• Like 2

ah, ok, and thanks.

Yes, I'm aware of the dangers ignorant people and places have.

One thing I'd like to fix is to see an additional radio button to select safe target shooting spots. On this interactive map https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6f0da4c7931440a8a80bfe20eddd7550 &extent=-125, 31.0, -114, 43.0

What I've found is governing officials do not want or care about easy to find locations and make it as difficult (or impossible) for the public to know exactly where it is permitted and has been vetted by others.

In my plan, it would be a map that allows users to place pins in the map and add or remove options (like target shooting) with a ratings system and date. Which would have data sets tied to burn bans/shooting bans, annual closings, report dumping, accidents...among other traceable data.

This map could be used by domains like https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/washington_list.htm

On 10/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, trailmeisterjoe said:

Because most of us already have to dodge random shooters at areas we ride. Many of them have "no idea" there are riders on trails they are shooting around, and don't realize that many times we cannot hear them until very late. Too bad the sanctioned shooting areas are near / connected to riding areas because at some point, there will be tragedy. Tiger mt would send some "heat" over to the hikers and bikers instead of ORV areas. At NO time, and I describing you fyi...

Joe

I have had 4 very near miss encounters with target shooters, its wide open down here in SW Oregon, anyplace you want as long as no ones in danger. They actually shoot up our trails and at the gates on the logging roads. BLM says not much we can do.  I'll add in "Until someone is killed"

Sorry to the gun enthusiast but its a sour subject in my neck of the woods.

Targets on Trailhead 11-13-2018.jpg

Target Shooting.jpg

Bucket Target rd 38-2-35.2.jpg

• Angry 1

17 minutes ago, firsthere said:

I have had 4 very near miss encounters with target shooters, its wide open down here in SW Oregon, anyplace you want as long as no ones in danger. They actually shoot up our trails and at the gates on the logging roads. BLM says not much we can do.  I'll add in "Until someone is killed"

It's a very sour subject to those of us who are responsible shooters. I frequently encounter shooters shooting unsafely, as in no substantial backstop or shooting across a road (yes a dirt road is a road), I used to talk to them and try to educate them but I never had any success, now I just call the Sherrif.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, firsthere said:

Targets on Trailhead 11-13-2018.jpg

Target Shooting.jpg

Bucket Target rd 38-2-35.2.jpg

I do not recognize this area, can I get a tour?