Noah Vulk

N.Cal I need riding buddies!

On 10/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, HeavyRotationClassic said:

I like to travel. Is PC as awesome as Carnegie? That's the best riding I've ever seen. 

PC has better hill climbs. I've made it up that one hill, then they fenced it off. 😶

12 hours ago, Jauny said:

Hello! New to the forum too, I’m in the process of buying dirt bikes with a friend of mine. I’m seasoned but he’s new to off road. 

looking for buddies and guides for the different srva!

we live in the Bay area and I have trouble finding where to go for a day trip or 2 days with camping! Any ideas?

cheers and hope to meet you all sometime!

Unfortunately no camping at any of the legal riding places because COVID. Depending on your Bay Area location. Try Hollister SVRA for you and your new to riding buddy. They have very easy Green trails there. When the restrictions are up you can camp there too. There is also Metcalf a Santa Clara County Park. It’s a little more challenging for a new rider and much smaller in size. Right now you will  need to make a reservation online though. Then there is also Carnegie SVRA in the Livermore to Tracy hills. I’ve taken my daughter there in the past to learn the bike controls as they have a long area below the hills to practice this. Of all of these 3 locations Hollister offers the most trails to ride. 

12 hours ago, Jauny said:

Hello! New to the forum too, I’m in the process of buying dirt bikes with a friend of mine. I’m seasoned but he’s new to off road. 

looking for buddies and guides for the different srva!

we live in the Bay area and I have trouble finding where to go for a day trip or 2 days with camping! Any ideas?

cheers and hope to meet you all sometime!

southbayriders.com

bayarearidersforum.com

45 minutes ago, singletrackjim said:

Unfortunately no camping at any of the legal riding places because COVID. Depending on your Bay Area location. Try Hollister SVRA for you and your new to riding buddy. They have very easy Green trails there. When the restrictions are up you can camp there too. There is also Metcalf a Santa Clara County Park. It’s a little more challenging for a new rider and much smaller in size. Right now you will  need to make a reservation online though. Then there is also Carnegie SVRA in the Livermore to Tracy hills. I’ve taken my daughter there in the past to learn the bike controls as they have a long area below the hills to practice this. Of all of these 3 locations Hollister offers the most trails to ride. 

Thanks for a real reply as someone has too. 

Some good advice in here, except the part about riding with me. I don’t ride and I certainly don’t have any buddies. 

Thanks all for the replies. We are hopefully getting bikes this week or next week - Very surprised at the low used stocks, I would have expected the market to be larger!

We're going to Carnegie today with the pickup to check it out and will def go ride there and Hollister ASAP - we're in SF so those 2 seem to be perfectly located!

• Like 1

Hey all, sorry to highjack the post, but I figured y'all should be the best to answer knowing the trails I'll be riding!

What do you all think is the best bike for those NorCal SRVA? I'm planning on doing mostly trails and some track (especially during summers with red stickers...)?

I a pretty seasoned mx and supermoto rider, so I'm going with what I know- mostly 450 4 strokes, but have never ridden on trails, so I'm not sure how much different it is; I'll mostly be buying a KX or YZ 450, but also looking at a possible KTM 350 SX-F or CR250F. 

Any thoughts? Will 450 be too much for trails? 

14 minutes ago, Jauny said:

Hey all, sorry to highjack the post, but I figured y'all should be the best to answer knowing the trails I'll be riding!

What do you all think is the best bike for those NorCal SRVA? I'm planning on doing mostly trails and some track (especially during summers with red stickers...)?

I a pretty seasoned mx and supermoto rider, so I'm going with what I know- mostly 450 4 strokes, but have never ridden on trails, so I'm not sure how much different it is; I'll mostly be buying a KX or YZ 450, but also looking at a possible KTM 350 SX-F or CR250F. 

Any thoughts? Will 450 be too much for trails? 

Most the bay area SVRA trails the 450 isnt "too much" but still not ideal. a 250 or 300 2t is the way to go or if you want to go 4t a lot of my buddies have enjoyed the 350xcf. It all depends on the types of trails you are riding. I live in the East bay and ride Hollister/Metcalf pretty often, would be happy to show you around some time. Camping is open at Hollister, just really limited capacity. 

thanks @tmeyer! I think for now I'll stick with 4t (that's what I'm most familiar with), still unclear between 250 and 450 but it seems like there is no set answer, so I'll go with my guts 🙂

I'll go to Carnegie with my friend once see how he handles the bike (he hasn't really done any offroad so he'll prob take 1 or 2 sessions before being comfortable) then I'll ping you for a ride! Hollister seems very nice too but that'd be nice to do Hollister maybe camping overnight would be nice (I have a 2months old at home so that'll take some nice bribes to my wife!).

Cheers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jauny said:

thanks @tmeyer! I think for now I'll stick with 4t (that's what I'm most familiar with), still unclear between 250 and 450 but it seems like there is no set answer, so I'll go with my guts 🙂

I'll go to Carnegie with my friend once see how he handles the bike (he hasn't really done any offroad so he'll prob take 1 or 2 sessions before being comfortable) then I'll ping you for a ride! Hollister seems very nice too but that'd be nice to do Hollister maybe camping overnight would be nice (I have a 2months old at home so that'll take some nice bribes to my wife!).

Cheers!

Its not too terrible of a drive for a day trip as well as long as you leave early to beat traffic. This is the common type of trails there. They classify most of these as "black diamond" but that is highly inaccurate

• Like 1