good deal cr 125?

***I originally posted this in the yamaha 2 strokes to see what peoples opinions were about the two bikes, I got a lot of people telling me the yamaha is better, which i'm leaning towards the blue, but i just want another opinion from you guys on the red side :)*** i also had someone tell me the cr 125 was a 93 not a 96, wondering if anyone has any info on that, thanks.

Hey im looking at a yz 125 near me for 1400 OBO, I talked to the guy and he seems like a nice guy and seems to be flexible on the bike. It does not seem like the bike is meticulously maintained but he also claimed to not ride it a lot, blah blah blah heres some pics. Tires look ok,plastics are claimed to be brand new, carb was just rebuilt, he has a clip of it running and idiling, smokes like a normal two stroke, sounds healthy, the only issue is the god awful periodblood red frame, let me know what you  think about the bike, im sure I can talk him down a little bit but I want some input.  image.png.7414e14107068ff353c4b0bf0e2cd006.pngimage.png.0badd7436b91a019f842306fdd882990.pngimage.png.0918a9e9badf4c7dbea0a39700c349b5.png

Just found this 96 CR 125 nearby as im posting this, seems like a nice bike, he has it posted for 1200. Rear tire looks pretty bad, desperate need of a cleaning, spooge on the bottom of the muffler? Im really just looking for a bike thats reliable, i got a 99 cr 125 thats just been nothing but issues so Im gonna get a new bike to ride while I wrench on that one, multitasking. Anywheres heres some pics of the bike:

image.png.0bd110dcb1de7b001e182cf7e4e00306.pngimage.png.f51eec572a6111bb0bf7c64ba36c3527.png

1996 cr 125: $1200

1999 yz 125: 1400obo (could probably talk down a bit)

I dont mind maintainence, I just want something that will last a while and have plenty of power ?

Thanks - jake

Edited by Jake Wiederin

125s? Thats a gamble, go fire each one up, take it out for a spin, test all the controls and see check em over to see if there are any cracks on the frame, crank case, check wheel bearings, breaks, basically check that muther from stem to stern. If it checks out ok, then low ball em. I would take the Cr, because Cr's rule, Naturally!?

9ea21ce7ef857e3c9986e38c342c664751f16d84.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

You have to judge by inspecting them in person,

-play in the fork bushings

-cruddy, ill-maintained or torn air filter

-doesn't shift thru the gears smoothly

-clutch slips, feels notchy

-play in the wheel, steering & linkage bearings 

-seized brake caliper 

-cracked cases, JB Welded gearbox drain plug, MacGyver type repairs

etc.

simply don't show in pics.

These are also 25+ year old bikes, they will cost as much to fix up properly as a 10 years newer one,

the difference is parts availability may/will be more problematic. 

I'd wait/save up/keep looking for at least a 2000 or ideally newer.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Update: I went and looked at both bikes, the 93 cr was an absolute pile, looked mint in the pics, got there's was absolutely thrashed, plastics were obviously in the sun for 10 years, it was a pile, no compression, and it wouldn't start, he even told me he lied about the year of the bike, so I shot him a low ball offer and he declined insisting the bike was worth at least a grand, what a guy. I went to look at the yz 125 and the bike isn't in bad condition, the frame needs to get repainted but it's not too bad, so I bought it.

The bike run really good, it pulls sooooo hard down low and through the mid range compared to my cr, and the 6 gears are really nice for long straights. The only issue I've noticed so far is the drain bolt must have hit a stump or something, it was completely rounded off, so I ground down the sides so I could put a vice grip on it and with some heat I got it off. Oil looked really good and the bike seems really solid for 1200 dollars.

Edited by Jake Wiederin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jake Wiederin said:

Update: I went and looked at both bikes, the 93 cr was an absolute pile, looked mint in the pics, got there's was absolutely thrashed, plastics were obviously in the sun for 10 years, it was a pile, no compression, and it wouldn't start, he even told me he lied about the year of the bike, so I shot him a low ball offer and he declined insisting the bike was worth at least a grand, what a guy. I went to look at the yz 125 and the bike isn't in bad condition, the frame needs to get repainted but it's not too bad, so I bought it.

The bike run really good, it pulls sooooo hard down low and through the mid range compared to my cr, and the 6 gears are really nice for long straights. The only issue I've noticed so far is the drain bolt must have hit a stump or something, it was completely rounded off, so I ground down the sides so I could put a vice grip on it and with some heat I got it off. Oil looked really good and the bike seems really solid for 1200 dollars.

nice yeah its hard to sayy the condition of the bike just from pics cause they can easily be edited. Great to hear you got yourself a solid bike! For now if i were you i would just clean up the rust if any and use a clearcoat so the frame stays in good condition and then get it powdercoated in winter

• 3 weeks later...