toddmash

CR250R Countershaft Bearing Oil Seal - Service Manual Typo??

Putting in new seals tonight and I hit a roadblock on the left side countershaft oil seal.  The service manual appears to have a typo somewhere, just not sure which one.  See attached pics from manual.  One sketch shows the seal 1mm below the case surface, in another area it says to tap it in flush with the case surface.  Which is it?  LOL

IMG_20201015_223157~2.jpg

IMG_20201015_223111~2.jpg

4 hours ago, Fred29 said:

I believe that one goes in 1mm deep, the other 2mm. 

Yeah, that's for the main oil seals around the crank.  The one I'm asking about is the seal for the countershaft.

I installed mine flush with no issues.

As long as the seal does not touch the inner bearing race, and the lip of the seal is not on the edge of the countershaft collar, you should be good.

Edited by CR250-2007
Spelling
  • Like 1

Here is the seal flush and with the collar in...  On that side view, that look high enough?

IMG_20201016_100601.jpg

IMG_20201016_100610.jpg

7 hours ago, toddmash said:

Here is the seal flush and with the collar in...  On that side view, that look high enough?

IMG_20201016_100601.jpg

IMG_20201016_100610.jpg

Should be as long as not riding on the bearing itself. There is no drag on the bearing is there?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ar2stroke said:

Should be as long as not riding on the bearing itself. There is no drag on the bearing is there?

No sir...The seal isn't touching the bearing at all.

I did a little more searching and found this YouTube channel and this guy's video series on rebuilding a 2001 CR250.  In it, he mentions driving both the countershaft and right crank seals in 1mm.  I went back and drove it in to 1mm.  😎👍

(Seal depth mentioned at 1:50 into video.)

I know its just terminology but IMO for seals I think the term "driving" is a bit extreme and I'd say "gently press or tap to seat" in as needed.

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, toddmash said:

I did a little more searching and found this YouTube channel and this guy's video series on rebuilding a 2001 CR250.  In it, he mentions driving both the countershaft and right crank seals in 1mm.  I went back and drove it in to 1mm.  😎👍

Don't know why he would do that but to each their own . 

11 hours ago, toddmash said:

&%$#@! dude great least we know this part of your build is done and we can move forward. a mm or two this way or that on a seal is nothing to worry about. Now whens the crank doing in ? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, toddmash said:

I was John's first or second sub. I love his videos. Fast and to the point. That's where I got the 1mm and 2mm depths.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gremlyn71 said:

&%$#@! dude great least we know this part of your build is done and we can move forward. a mm or two this way or that on a seal is nothing to worry about. Now whens the crank doing in ? 

LOL  I know, man.  The crank and everything else for the bottom is going together today.  I have bad OCD on this stuff, so I had to make sure on the seal depth.  It's taking longer than usual I know and I wish it was already done.  But between work, kids, life and learning as I go along it's taking longer than somebody who knows what they're doing! LOL

1 minute ago, toddmash said:

LOL  I know, man.  The crank and everything else for the bottom is going together today.  I have bad OCD on this stuff, so I had to make sure on the seal depth.  It's taking longer than usual I know and I wish it was already done.  But between work, kids, life and learning as I go along it's taking longer than somebody who knows what they're doing! LOL

Taking your time now will pay off later. I'm in no hurry to finish my '89. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred29 said:

I was John's first or second sub. I love his videos. Fast and to the point. That's where I got the 1mm and 2mm depths.

When I first found his channel I didn't like his videos because of how fast they move and how short they are.  But since starting this build, I've started to like them more because when you've got a socket in one hand and you need an answer quickly his videos are great for that!  😎

Edited by toddmash

almost done!   btw, i spun the crank a little a few minutes ago and it looks like a very, very small amount of the Motoseal got smeared onto the crank.  i got it off but curious if that's anything to worry about?

IMG_20201018_174708.jpg

IMG_20201018_174722.jpg

IMG_20201018_205728.jpg

IMG_20201018_205732.jpg

IMG_20201018_205749.jpg

Edited by toddmash

Before adding the clutch plates back (that are soaking in gear oil right now) would you add the right crank cover first?  Only asking in case it's good to help keep some of that gear oil inside the case that will drip off.

IMG_20201019_112248.jpg