Honda CR125 Leaking oil and really loud.

Hey! New rider here, just got my first ever dirtbike which is a Honda CR125 1997. Got it running yesterday, but i noticed a lot of oil and exhaust fumes flying out around the area where the exhaust connects to the cylinder. Its also reaaally loud, the rubber piece that connects the muffler and the exhaust is also missing, is this the cause to the loud noise? Also noticed that one of the springs that connect the exhuast to the cylinder has been changed and one of them has a lot of slack. The last thing is a hole, less than 1mm big in the exhaust that leaks oil too. And when i took the exhuast off the first time, there was looads of oil sitting in the exhaust. 

Help is greatly appriciated!

17 minutes ago, KcDavis said:

I'd repack the silencer, clean all the oil out of the exhaust, and replace all the worn/missing things for the exhaust.  

Thanks for the reply, ill take a look at the muffler, but the only thing that seems missing is the rubber joint inbetween the muffler and exhuast. And it leaks oil and fumes the most right where the exhaust attaches to the cylinder. Should there be a little gasket seal at the end of the exhaust?

14 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Rtv people, rtv!!! Forget those lame o stock o-ring seals, they wear out and dont work, clean up all surfaces to be coupled, squirt that special sauce all over that thing, and seal that thingy up. RTV and be done with it!image.png.7b0b8f8d6c7122db7d1227989e2f83dc.png

Haha will try! Do you know if the cr125 came stock with o ring seals?

Just now, M E T A L A C I D said:

Hmmm...I would say yeup..image.png.1fcefc8584685ec420436c6b1d8be104.png

Hmm, ill double check on my bike tomorrow, but it feels like the gasket labeled as number 6 might be leaking too. There is a lot of oil coming from that area. And sorry for all the beginner questions, but why is the oil that drips out black, when my mixed gasoline and two stroke oil is a red color?

5 minutes ago, Battleminexl said:

Hmm, ill double check on my bike tomorrow, but it feels like the gasket labeled as number 6 might be leaking too. There is a lot of oil coming from that area. And sorry for all the beginner questions, but why is the oil that drips out black, when my mixed gasoline and two stroke oil is a red color?

No problem brother! No question goes un-answered from the metal man!  Rtv is your best friend.? Some companies dye their oils to be visible in the gas so your know its mixed. Some companies also add perfumes to their oil to make the bikes smell good. Now when you say red fluid, im thinking it could be Tranny fluids?

6 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

No problem brother! No question goes un-answered from the metal man!  Rtv is your best friend.? Some companies dye their oils to be visible in the gas so your know its mixed. Some companies also add perfumes to their oil to make the bikes smell good. Now when you say red fluid, im thinking it could be Tranny fluids?

Well, i live in Sweden. So stuff might be a little different over here. The first picture is what i mix with my gasoline, and the second picture is what i put in my transmission. The guy in the store that i bought them from told me that it would work with my bike, hopefully i havent mixed them up. The one called R2000 goes into the gasoline right? And the other into the trans?

20201016_223245.jpg

20201016_223208.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Battleminexl said:

Well, i live in Sweden. So stuff might be a little different over here. The first picture is what i mix with my gasoline, and the second picture is what i put in my transmission. The guy in the store that i bought them from told me that it would work with my bike, hopefully i havent mixed them up. The one called R2000 goes into the gasoline right? And the other into the trans?

20201016_223245.jpg

20201016_223208.jpg

Cools brother, Im a rootin-tootin-Texas cowboy! Top oil gets mixed in the fuel can not the fuel tank.<Achtung. I have a ratio rite, it allows me to choose the proper 2 stroke oil ratio. I choose 927 at 40:1 it suits my old CR's the best. The bottom appears to be gear oil, the common weight for most trannies. That goes in the gear box. You should have a bolt in front of the clutch housing, its a oil level check port. Becareful of  the bolt, it strips out easily. 

5 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Cools brother, Im a rootin-tootin-Texas cowboy! Top oil gets mixed in the fuel can not the fuel tank.<Achtung. I have a ratio rite, it allows me to choose the proper 2 stroke oil ratio. I choose 927 at 40:1 it suits my old CR's the best. The bottom appears to be gear oil, the common weight for most trannies. That goes in the gear box. You should have a bolt in front of the clutch housing, its a oil level check port. Becareful of  the bolt, it strips out easily. 

Awesome, well there was about 1.5l of unmixed fuel sitting in the tank on the dirtbike when i got it. So i mixed 4l outside of the bike with about 120ml of oil (20ml more than recommended for 5l of gasoline to compensate for the fuel already sitting in the bike). Have i done anything wrong? And why is the oil still black when i have redish mixed gasoline?

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the site, It sounds to me like the right side crank seal is leaking and pulling trans fluid into the motor. Drop your trans fluid into a container with graduations marked on it and tell us if you get anywhere near the 650mls that should be in the transmission.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Battleminexl said:

Hey! New rider here, just got my first ever dirtbike which is a Honda CR125 1997. Got it running yesterday, but i noticed a lot of oil and exhaust fumes flying out around the area where the exhaust connects to the cylinder. Its also reaaally loud, the rubber piece that connects the muffler and the exhaust is also missing, is this the cause to the loud noise? Also noticed that one of the springs that connect the exhuast to the cylinder has been changed and one of them has a lot of slack. The last thing is a hole, less than 1mm big in the exhaust that leaks oil too. And when i took the exhuast off the first time, there was looads of oil sitting in the exhaust. 

Help is greatly appriciated!

Put some sort of gasket/liquid gasket there. Works for me. Be sure to also seal the connection between the pipe and silencer, youll have oil spraying into your airbox sometimes.

I use Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone, Put a lot on the surfaces and put it together. Put some extra to make it extra sealed.

Edited by squidInk

4 hours ago, Battleminexl said:

Awesome, well there was about 1.5l of unmixed fuel sitting in the tank on the dirtbike when i got it. So i mixed 4l outside of the bike with about 120ml of oil (20ml more than recommended for 5l of gasoline to compensate for the fuel already sitting in the bike). Have i done anything wrong? And why is the oil still black when i have redish mixed gasoline?

Battle, if you can drain all of that fuel out of your tank, its a 2t and you dont want unmixed gas on the tank. drain the float bowl carefully into a container and make sure not to run it. Assemble it back together, mix the fuel and oil in a seperate gas can and shake it really well for a few seconds. Then add it to the tank. You want to try for a ratio of 40:1 If not 32:1 will do...Now when you see black oil at the exhaust, that means its been combusted and its normal to be dark, its done its job...

8 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Battle, if you can drain all of that fuel out of your tank, its a 2t and you dont want unmixed gas on the tank. drain the float bowl carefully into a container and make sure not to run it. Assemble it back together, mix the fuel and oil in a seperate gas can and shake it really well for a few seconds. Then add it to the tank. You want to try for a ratio of 40:1 If not 32:1 will do...Now when you see black oil at the exhaust, that means its been combusted and its normal to be dark, its done its job...

Thanks for the info, but i never started it without mixed gas. There is probably 6l of mixed gas in the tank right now. On the two stroke oil i bought there were markings on how much two stroke oil to mix it with the gas. I filled it a little above the 5l mark = 120ml, and mixed it with 4l outside of the tank. Then I poured the whole mix into the tank and shook it all around

10 hours ago, squidInk said:

Put some sort of gasket/liquid gasket there. Works for me. Be sure to also seal the connection between the pipe and silencer, youll have oil spraying into your airbox sometimes.

I use Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone, Put a lot on the surfaces and put it together. Put some extra to make it extra sealed.

I'll try this too! So you think that rtv will do instead of buying the little joint rubber piece that connects the muffler and exhaust pipe?

11 hours ago, Gremlyn71 said:

Hello and welcome to the site, It sounds to me like the right side crank seal is leaking and pulling trans fluid into the motor. Drop your trans fluid into a container with graduations marked on it and tell us if you get anywhere near the 650mls that should be in the transmission.

Ah okay, so do you mean that i should mark 650ml in a plastic container and drain it all? And how much am i looking to see when i drain it?

4 hours ago, Battleminexl said:

Thanks for the info, but i never started it without mixed gas. There is probably 6l of mixed gas in the tank right now. On the two stroke oil i bought there were markings on how much two stroke oil to mix it with the gas. I filled it a little above the 5l mark = 120ml, and mixed it with 4l outside of the tank. Then I poured the whole mix into the tank and shook it all around

Battle, those markings that say oil in Ml, do they also say ratio? If they do, shoot for either 32:1 or 40:1 to get you at a good ratio for smooth running....

1 minute ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Battle, those markings that say oil in Ml, do they also say ratio? If they do, shoot for either 32:1 or 40:1 to get you at a good ratio for smooth running....

Nope, they dont say ratio, but i googled and found out that 20ml is equivilant to 50:1, 25ml = 40:1. So i put about 125ml into 5 liters so should have around 1:40.