2021 450 shootout fixed

3 minutes ago, Wally63 said:

MXA usually nails it.  I have bought many a bike based on their assessments and hardly ever bought the winner.

If you read what a bike is good at and it fits what you're looking for, that's a good start. Most people make some changes to their bikes to suit them anyway. The best example was in 2017 for me...I wasn't even considering a Suzuki, I got to ride every other bike but the Husky (no dealer close)  and Suzuki (wasn't interested after all I had read). I was going to buy the Honda. A guy at the track insisted I try his Suzuki and as soon as I got off the bike, I had made up my mind. I liked it better than any other bike I rode. If I didn't switch back to 2 strokes, I'd still be riding it, and can't bring myself to sell it.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RMX,,'R said:

Suzuki isn't totally worthless.  At least include them. They do well in some categories 

I heard that the '21  Zuk's were not yet available.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNORE125 said:

More POLITICS haven't we had enough 

Yep. 

1 hour ago, PB729 said:

If you read what a bike is good at and it fits what you're looking for, that's a good start. Most people make some changes to their bikes to suit them anyway. The best example was in 2017 for me...I wasn't even considering a Suzuki, I got to ride every other bike but the Husky (no dealer close)  and Suzuki (wasn't interested after all I had read). I was going to buy the Honda. A guy at the track insisted I try his Suzuki and as soon as I got off the bike, I had made up my mind. I liked it better than any other bike I rode. If I didn't switch back to 2 strokes, I'd still be riding it, and can't bring myself to sell it.  

I had a similar experience but with an RM 250 2T. One and only RM I ever owned. I would have never thought I would've owned a Suzuki but I rode one and loved it. Got a great deal on it too. First and last one I owned at this point but am aware of the appeal of these bikes. I also have a soft spot for 2T Suzukis and am always on the look out for a good deal on a later model 250. If they made a RMX 250 today I'd probably buy one......  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

I had a similar experience but with an RM 250 2T. One and only RM I ever owned. I would have never thought I would've owned a Suzuki but I rode one and loved it. Got a great deal on it too. First and last one I owned at this point but am aware of the appeal of these bikes. I also have a soft spot for 2T Suzukis and am always on the look out for a good deal on a later model 250. If they made a RMX 250 today I'd probably buy one......  

2001+ Suzuki was a great platform, except I couldn't keep mine together.  Too much time fixing them, too many races missed while waiting on parts.

1 hour ago, mxaniac said:

2001+ Suzuki was a great platform, except I couldn't keep mine together.  Too much time fixing them, too many races missed while waiting on parts.

Well, my '03 had problems I never had with any of my Yamahas.......well you know what they say, the ones that are most fun to ride give you the most trouble! Oh wait we were talking about dirt bikes weren't we.......I could tell you a sad tale about a young man who bought a new KTM in '98 with plans to contest the local offroad series. He ended up missing several rounds due to the parts to fix the defective kickstart gear being on back order, as almost every KTM in the country had the same issue.......

22 hours ago, PB729 said:

You aren't alone. I think the Suzuki for sure has it's place and there are certain riders that like the tractor-like power it produces and good handling. And some people may also prefer the no frills approach. I mean Gasgas is somewhat targeting that audience, so there are people out there. As cliche and repetitive as it is to say, all the bikes are good. But the fun in breaking down the shootouts is just to see what bike is the best, across the board. And then what bike can be turned into the best for each person (with realistic mods.) That is where the Suzuki really shines. You save a little bit of money up front and you can use that to dial in your suspension. Then the motor most can leave stock. Obviously some people would be bothered by it lacking some features, the weight, the bad resale etc. But there are plenty of guys who don't care about that.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

Well, my '03 had problems I never had with any of my Yamahas.......well you know what they say, the ones that are most fun to ride give you the most trouble! Oh wait we were talking about dirt bikes weren't we.......I could tell you a sad tale about a young man who bought a new KTM in '98 with plans to contest the local offroad series. He ended up missing several rounds due to the parts to fix the defective kickstart gear being on back order, as almost every KTM in the country had the same issue.......

5 years later KTM cases were still self destructing when people were trying to start than.  I saw it with my own eyes!  They've certainly improved.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

You aren't alone. I think the Suzuki for sure has it's place and there are certain riders that like the tractor-like power it produces and good handling. And some people may also prefer the no frills approach. I mean Gasgas is somewhat targeting that audience, so there are people out there. As cliche and repetitive as it is to say, all the bikes are good. But the fun in breaking down the shootouts is just to see what bike is the best, across the board. And then what bike can be turned into the best for each person (with realistic mods.) That is where the Suzuki really shines. You save a little bit of money up front and you can use that to dial in your suspension. Then the motor most can leave stock. Obviously some people would be bothered by it lacking some features, the weight, the bad resale etc. But there are plenty of guys who don't care about that.

I love the stock motor...you describe it perfectly as tractor like too. That engine delivers great starts, and motors over anything right out of turns. I don't think any bike turned as well as the Suzuki (at least in 2017). All 450's feel like tanks to me, I definitely noticed the weight when lifting it on the stand, but on the track, only the KTM felt lighter to me, and not enough where I thought it would make any difference in the duration of an amateur vet race.  The only down side for me with that bike were the air forks, they were truly awful no matter what air pressure I tried when the track was rough...but on prepped smoother tracks they were actually pretty good. An electric start would be nice, but they start really easy, that never bothered me in the least. I could be happy with any bike made today, I'm not a brand loyalist at all. I just felt comfortable on that bike immediately.   

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 9:54 AM, dirtbikesonny said:

I'd be in line ahead of you! Awesome bike.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 2:38 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Take away access to me and he wants even more abuse. I tried to let her down easy and what? Same obsession. Just a regular &%$#@!ing fatal attraction.I

spacer.png

14 hours ago, dirtbikesonny said:

KTM defective kickstart... Electric start was the best thing to happen there. Even my 78 250 had kickstart problems, stopper bolt would crack the center case... Arggggh.

3 hours ago, Chaconne said:

KTM defective kickstart... Electric start was the best thing to happen there. Even my 78 250 had kickstart problems, stopper bolt would crack the center case... Arggggh.

Please tell me you did not own a '78 KTM 250.  I thought only Russians bought those things. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Please tell me you did not own a '78 KTM 250.  I thought only Russians bought those things. 

I'd rathet put around on a QA50 than a late model KTM. If you broke down you stayed broke down till Christmas 😁🤣

5 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

I'd rathet put around on a QA50 than a late model KTM. If you broke down you stayed broke down till Christmas 😁🤣

QA50's were the shit.   Would love one today.  Would drive it down to the store to do some shopping and just walk in carrying it in under my arm like it ain't no thang. 

image.png.5ded83bce0874d6873ca211296c4c58f.png

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, dirtbikesonny said:

I heard that the '21  Zuk's were not yet available.....

21 ZOOK,, aka yamayallow, would have gotten 3rd, based on the fake news, and the CNN vitalmx  changing the results to the highest bidder.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

Yes in 1983 or 84 I traded my beat to shit rm125 for a hardly used KTM 250. The rich who kid traded me thought I was an idiot trading a Zuke for some bike his father bought him that "no one ever heard of". Looked a lot like this:

image.png.93861407b3ec5b8561418477af6b4987.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Yes in 1983 or 84 I traded my beat to shit rm125 for a hardly used KTM 250. The rich who kid traded me thought I was an idiot trading a Zuke for some bike his father bought him that "no one ever heard of". Looked a lot like this:

image.png.93861407b3ec5b8561418477af6b4987.png

A friend had one of those, never had a single issue with it. Beautiful bike.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney Woods said:

A friend had one of those, never had a single issue with it. 

Great bike handled really well put the Zukes and Hodakas I had previously owned to absolute shame. The only problem I had was the kickstarter had a heavy steel "stop bolt" that was mounted in the magnesium case and the kickstart would eventually pound it until it cracked the magnesium center case. Happened few times had to split the cases and replace --tried some of the so-called hack remedies but they would always give oil leaks.

A friend of mine and his dad who was a car mechanic helped me the first time I had to crack the cases and his dad loved the design and construction of that engine he said it was better than the motors he worked on at the shop --except for the stop bolt of course.:ride:

• Like 1