2strkbeta

Beta2Stroke 2020 300RR difficulty starting when cold??

30 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

Almost sounds like an ignition problem even though it runs good after starting. Just throwing things at the wall to see if it will stick, but I would check grounds at the coil, check the spark plug lead ei: cut off about an 1/8th inch and screw back on - but I think I would start with just replacing with a properly gapped plug.

Good ideas, thank you.  I will dig into this and see if I can find anything.  I have a new plug I picked up the other day, will toss it in.  I called my dealer to run it past them and they didn’t know but mentioned a “recall”, they didn’t call it that but essentially the same thing.  Maybe it was a service bulletin.  Said an issue with wiring harness on right side getting pinched when at full turn to the right.  I see that it’s folding the wiring harness up pretty good.  They are going to take care of that and said they would try to see what the starting issue could be as well.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Mine does this if the bikes sits for a couple days without draining the carb.  As well, if I truck the bike to a ride location, it'll do the same thing if you don't drain the carb.

Try draining the carb once, and see how it starts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NEWYORKTRAINER said:

Mine does this if the bikes sits for a couple days without draining the carb.  As well, if I truck the bike to a ride location, it'll do the same thing if you don't drain the carb.

Try draining the carb once, and see how it starts.

I will give that a try thanks!  Bike is at dealer now for service bulletin on wiring harness.  Will give it a shot when I get it back.

I think my 2020 does the same thing your speaking of. If it sets for longer than a few days when I try to crank it it’ll turn over like normal but takes several times for it to fire up. Almost like it’s flooded out. Then when it does crank it bogs a little until it’s warm. Does this sound familiar? I just came on the forum to try to see if maybe it’s a carb issue. 

1 hour ago, jk349 said:

I think my 2020 does the same thing your speaking of. If it sets for longer than a few days when I try to crank it it’ll turn over like normal but takes several times for it to fire up. Almost like it’s flooded out. Then when it does crank it bogs a little until it’s warm. Does this sound familiar? I just came on the forum to try to see if maybe it’s a carb issue. 

Mine doesn’t bog after it fires and It has only done this twice so far.  In the past absolutely no issues.  I normally let it sit a week, load it and haul it an hour away, and it has always fired up instantly.  It’s at my dealer now for the service bulletin on wiring harness.  While they have the tank off they are going to toss in a new spark plug to see what happens.  Of course when I hauled it to them and unloaded it, it fired up instantly.  I expected it would.  It has been cooler than normal the only two times it has done this, 55-60F.  It cranks fast and normal, it is turning the engine over, just didn’t start until 4 or 5 tries.  

Edited by 2strkbeta

Update 10-24-2020.  New spark plug and bike started instantly this morning, so far the coldest morning yet at 51F.  Interesting after riding a while this morning bike wants to bog a little off the bottom end when I stab the throttle, again it has never done this before.  Did this for the first 3 or 4 hours this morning.  As the day went on and it warmed up to 65-70, no bogging at all?  Who knows.  I did notice more spoog than normal today.

Its bogs because your jetting is too lean at that temp. Adjusting the air screw a little richer may fix it. Then readjust it as the day gets warmer.  Google how to jet a two stroke dirt bike.

• Like 1