DPB71

Lower shock bolt too short?

I was installing my rear shock and when I went to torque down my lower shock mount I stripped the nut. Bolt looks ok as far as the threads go and I have plenty of extra replacements nuts. It just seems like the bolt is too short or something, and the end of it looks a little rough compared to the others. It may have to be that way to take away any chance of it making contact with the linkage. I haven't torqued down the new nut yet because I wanted to ask if this looks right to you guys before I do. 

This is snug but not torqued. End of bolt doesn't quite reach flush to the lock nut. The stock one i stripped out was the same way.

20201017_115430.thumb.jpg.8940f938c082294cb5ec9f3fc5b96092.jpg

20201017_115412.thumb.jpg.24a688e1784d1fa3a0c927b08fc97eee.jpg

Here's what the bolt looks like.

20201017_114855.thumb.jpg.04ba6f139f78ea443fd0596a2c17d204.jpg

20201017_114903.thumb.jpg.a768de678dfbb9c3e054c4509befe1b8.jpg

20201017_115128.thumb.jpg.037a50ba9ca04b426055d3a6bc570234.jpg

If you got a little to spend I would just buy a new OEM bolt and nut. Throw those in an order  with some filters and oil and be done with it 🤷‍♂️
Also make sure the top one is the right size. I doubt you have them switched but doesn’t hurt to check twice. 

As with any open ended nut, you want at least 1-2 threads protruding once tightened.

If I compare to my YZ125, the OEM nut is much thinner and, isn't flanged.

I've stripped the nut once on mine as well, even following the service manual's torque values.

You have to be careful not to grease the threads if you apply a thin coat to the bolt's shank

(common practice for suspension fasteners) as the tightening force will increase due to the reduced friction. 

OEM/genuine replacement fasteners only for me, especially in such critical assemblies.

Edited by mlatour

4 hours ago, mlatour said:

As with any open ended nut, you want at least 1-2 threads protruding once tightened.

If I compare to my YZ125, the OEM nut is much thinner and, isn't flanged.

Hmmm, so my replacement bolt matched the one I stripped, but perhaps the previous owner swapped that one out. I'll see if I have the right one or I'll just order another. 

Can anyone confirm that this nut is incorrect with a picture of their own? 

Incorrect nut on that, it is flanged and not as tall. As stated above, toss it after getting new ones. 

• Like 1

10-4, I appreciate the input fellas. I'll get a new OEM one on order 

That looks to be the upper nut, the lower nut is not as thick.  I stripped that nut so many times on my 250 (the upper nut) so I went to ACE hardware and bought a much tougher nylon nut.  Worked like a charm.  

• Like 1