Irongamer727

Crf 450 -03 bike moves when using clutch

Hello! Just put my freshly rebuilt engine back together. One of the things I didn't pay much attention to was the clutch plates. They were reused. The issue was there before the rebuild, but I didn't really care about it at that point.

I inspected the basket and found no grooves.

The bikes moves forward when I pull the clutch. I have plenty of clutch travel on the handle. Is this a normal sign of worn plates? I didn't measure them but didn't see anything noticeable when I put the clutch together.

1 hour ago, Irongamer727 said:

Hello! Just put my freshly rebuilt engine back together. One of the things I didn't pay much attention to was the clutch plates. They were reused. The issue was there before the rebuild, but I didn't really care about it at that point.

I inspected the basket and found no grooves.

The bikes moves forward when I pull the clutch. I have plenty of clutch travel on the handle. Is this a normal sign of worn plates? I didn't measure them but didn't see anything noticeable when I put the clutch together.

Check the inner hub for notching as well and your cable & play.

Just now, HRC27 said:

Check the inner hub for notching as well and your cable & play.

Inner also decent. A few marks but no grooves whatsoever.

sounds like warped or overheat aluminum disks

my friend yz had the same issue he soaked it in rotella t6 for a few days and it got a bit better not the best still but a temp solution. I wonder if you can unwarp the discs 

Edited by Triple Nine Motorsports

Google how to inspect a motorcycle clutch. You need a service manual to see if the fiber plate thickness are within spec. The steel plates need to be flat. If the steel plates are black or blue they have over heated and probably warped. You will need a flat surface (glass plate)and feeler gages to check. OEM, Hinson, Barnett all make good kits. 

Edited by willbilly

On 10/18/2020 at 11:30 AM, Irongamer727 said:

What clutch plates do you recommend guys? Any particular brand?

I’ve used everything from OEM, Hinson to cheap Chinese stuff from eBay. You can’t go wrong with OEM but if you’re looking for good value EBC makes a good kit at a reasonable price. I suggest at this point you replace what you have and start fresh. 

• Like 1