Dan46

2016 vs 2021 390 re

I was riding my 16 today and was have a great day on it. As I was riding I started thinking how much better the 21 might be.  I am hoping everyone who had a older bike and upgraded could give me some comparison.  My 16 is dialed for me and handles great.  Just wondering if the improvements justify the extra money to buy and set up a new bike.  My current bike has 150 hours on it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dan46 said:

I was riding my 16 today and was have a great day on it. As I was riding I started thinking how much better the 21 might be.  I am hoping everyone who had a older bike and upgraded could give me some comparison.  My 16 is dialed for me and handles great.  Just wondering if the improvements justify the extra money to buy and set up a new bike.  My current bike has 150 hours on it.

Don’t buy new. Your bike works great. :excuseme:. You like it. I like my not brand new Betas and have asked myself the same questions. 
Instead of buying new add a mod to improve your bike. Maybe a mako 360 bar damper or new plastics or brighter headlights of seat concepts seat or better pegs or boano brake pedal or anything else.. I just put stainless spokes and a wider rear rim. I have no desire to buy a new bike. I mean it’s awesome to have a new bike but then to me it’s not worth it unless components on the newest Beta is something you feel spending 11 or so grand after mods will get you. Buy new tires. Save money. Go ride. Buy a set of wheels with stainless spokes. Customize your bike to make it more trick. Buy a billet clutch cover. Or better more beautiful skid plate from enduro engineering or ptech or xrc. I think you already know what you want. If you want a brand new bike and don’t care than go for it.  That’s in you already for a choice.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

you are right, I will probably keep it. I currently have a big tank and seat concepts dual sport seat for the long rides.  I will setup my stock tank and get a new soft stock shape seat to give the bike a different ride feeling.  That should get me through another year.  Just was wondering if the new model was that much better.

• Like 2

I rode a 18 390 Race Edition this weekend. First Beta four stroke I've ridden. Really liked the motor! The RE suspension was too stiff for me so I'd shop a RR model. If you have a 16 390RR then I'd just keep it. I'm sure the new ones are improved but not compelling to buy if the 16 is still doing it for you.

• Like 2

I am doing some research, I am going to look into upgrading to ohlins suspension. I will take the savings of the new bike and get the best suspension for my bike I can get.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dan46 said:

I am doing some research, I am going to look into upgrading to ohlins suspension. I will take the savings of the new bike and get the best suspension for my bike I can get.

There’s endurospec and stillwell and Beta factory suspension to go to as well and more..  Have fun researching. 

13 minutes ago, Dan46 said:

I have NEVER met an Ohlins that i didn't like.  Been my favorite by far, I really like the traction (front and rear) that the Ohlins provides.  Like anything, you must adjust it for you.  

• Like 1

I ride with a group of about 15 betas.  Only one of them has ohlins on it, the rest are stock sach's.  We ride 3rd gear sandy trails.  The only one that likes the ohlins over stock is the guy who has the ohlins, I think he has to like it after the money it cost.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

If you're going to keep the 16, I would have your suspension revalved and sprung for your riding style. Ohlins makes great components but a professional suspension tuner told me Ohlins hasn't updated their suspension technology in over 8+ years.

• Like 1

I had a 2016 350, 2018 350 and now a 20 390 about to be a 21 430. There is a huge improvement from 16 to 18 with the twin injector and newer clutch on the rr. The 20 is a step up again its much lighter steers better and has a higher build quality the bike is much more stable under brakes a well. If you buy a newer one you will be shocked at the improvement I would get the 21 in a heart beat. If your suspension is std the 20 is much much better. I also find the 20 easier to work on things like the rocker cover access and the shock removal is better. 

MM

• Like 4

Now you have giving me some thing to think about.  The improvement you talk about sound great.  Do you think they are worth the extra money.  I feel I could get between 5-6 grand from selling my bike. Which means I need to come up with another 5-6 grand for the new bike.

37 minutes ago, Dan46 said:

Now you have giving me some thing to think about.  The improvement you talk about sound great.  Do you think they are worth the extra money.  I feel I could get between 5-6 grand from selling my bike. Which means I need to come up with another 5-6 grand for the new bike.

Personally yes the 20 model is way better and easier to ride for me forgot to mention the ergonomics, I found on the old bike I needed to hold myself forward on the 20 I just sit.  I'd buy an 18 over a 16 as I said the 20 is a step up again. If you have the money its well worth it spending heaps on the 16 is a waste I think. 

• Like 1

I’ve ridden both - the ‘21 was a ‘20, but sama-sama. 
You wouldn’t think there would be a huge difference, but the new chassis makes the old one feel like a bit of a piggy, tbh. 
Lighter, livelier motor, smoother power, better steering, better balance, better ergos, looks horn, new stock fork craps on pre-‘19. 
If spending $5k on Ohlins will make your bike a keeper for another few years, do it. A bloke I know over here put nearly 400hrs on a ‘15 RR390. Sweet.

However, do your bit for the US economy & get a new rig - thank me later. Ha ha!

6 hours ago, Dan46 said:

Do you double as a A level racer?

If you’re not a “A” level racer with deep pockets I’d opt for alternative suspension options, as there are some alternatives that are 1/2 the price with much longer service intervals. You already know that the 2020+ Beta’s are a big change, most love it, surprisingly some do not. I thought they are major positive changes, and love the new design. 
Actually if I was gonna buy a new 390 RR RS I would not buy the RE package, but choose a good suspension tuner to make the OC forks great or go to the next level with the MXT Lucky’s which I own and love, and I’d mod the suspension the first week of ownership, just sayin.....

• Like 2

Ahh.. so now there’s a real wide variety of upgrade options to choose from a wide variety of Beta owners . It’s a variety of upgrade choices in mods and a variety of new bikes modded too. If going new I’d choose a 430rrs. Here’s another twist. How about keeping your bike and getting a 2 stroke and have 2 bikes? Or maybe picking up a lightly used 2020 say 300 or 250? Since more options are appearing? Add even more options .  Or.. you could just ride what you have and save your money. 

There are many options. I am surprised that the re is not the chioce everyone wants.  I thought the oc forks were a simply fork that was best for dual sporting and trail riding and the kyb would be what everyone wanted. My is suspension has been re valved and works great compared to what it was stock.  I use my 16 for one big dual sport ride a year, and fast trail riding.  But it just feels to heavy for my 2hr + harescramble races.  I was thinking if i put the smaller tank and stock shape seat back on it might feel smaller and a little lighter.  It does sound think the 20/21 are a big improvement, and since I can't find a used 20 anywhere people must love them. 

11 hours ago, Dan46 said:

I have owned Ohlins cartridge and full fork as well as several Flow shocks. Forks, I find they are maintenance intensive as well as expensive to own. Set-up knowledge is limited and overall performance isn't worth these negative when other options are out there. Look into Dal Soggio, KYB, Lucky's or even WP CV forks well before Ohlins. Shocks, Ohlins Flow's are really good and my experience shown me these have the same maintenance as any other shock on the market. Nice thing about this shock is it doesn't cost a lot vs. others. In fact depending on brand, Ohlins will cost less then modifying a stocker to perform as good and you don't give it to the new owner when you sell. 

I have limited time on newer Beta 4t but what I have felt is the 2020 were much better bike overall then the older ones. Between the motor responsive and handling these new Betas have close the gap on the competition.

• Helpful 1

I had 2016 350rr and now I am enjoying 2020 390rr (and that's pretty much the same as 2021 model).

Main differences (big ones!):

1. 2020 model has 2 injectors, instead 1 on 2016 model. Noticeably less vibrations! Really!

2. Much better cooling on 2020 model (cooling system is integrated into the frame). With fan kit no more noticable spitting of coolant even in tightest and slowest situations. Really!

3. Two modes of operation: slippery and normal. Slippery can be helpful in certain situations.

Everything else, in my opinion, doesn't need mentioning. 

Is it enough? Well, depends. For me, most certainly. This 2020 Beta is really great, great bike. Of course, still with many usual Italian perks that we hate... (from harness, speedo and fuel gauge to screws and electrical contacts...)

Cheers!

edit:

There is No.4:

2020/2021 model works with standard OBD2 tools, so you can read fault codes yourself! 2016 don't! This is massive, since I maintain bike myself and live 5.5h from nearest dealer.

Edited by severian
  • Helpful 2

Those sound like great improvements.  My 16 never ran hot but i put a fan kit on it anyways, with the extra cooling on the 20/21 is it still necessary to run a fan for slow single track?  Also it there and after market parts that will work from 16 to 21.  I have a seat, gpr damper, and fmf exhaust I could swicth over.  I talk to a dealer today and he was told he that the 4t re will not hit the states till January.

The '16 has a ultra-high compliance frame, which is great for comfort, not so great for holding a tight line.

The 20/'21 is a quantum leap of changes. Nothing is the same. More like a KTM; smaller ergos, stiffer frame, more oversteer, smoother better motor, etc etc

DO NOT listen to Hawaiidirbike person. He is extremely confused and can't tell the difference between  anything and always compares two different years as if they are the same thing.  Every year or two the bike change substantially in quality, feel, and performance. From 2016 to 2021 is like from a Honda Civic to an Audi SQ5. No comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1