Nick225

Brake pads only grabbing part of the disc

Recently bought a 2001 Wr400f and it came with warped front discs, when I started replacing the brakes I noticed the old pads were only grabbing on a small part of the pad,I replaced the pads and put on a new disc and it’s now doing the same thing any help would be very appreciated.

DB6CEAA0-A18D-4893-859C-ED79A7EE41D1.jpeg

29754EF1-0CD2-4EEA-9EFF-A686DC17C305.jpeg

AD27B267-D7C1-4088-8822-A3AA43DEC362.jpeg

image.jpg

32 minutes ago, Greenwrench said:

Must have a different bracket on there for the brake caliper ? Maybe for a larger rotor? Post picture of the Caliper and bracket side . 

32438CA4-AD1A-4B7D-85EE-42D5D3FB6523.jpeg

1CA7BD30-5D7D-4DF9-AF7A-C0D87A41371F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Greenwrench said:

Here's a picture of a stock caliper and bracket does yours look like this or have a extra bracket ? 

Screenshot_20201018-074556.png

Screenshot_20201018-074505.png

It has a extra bracket a black one

4 minutes ago, Greenwrench said:

If you have this bracket that's your problem they use these for the big rotor for super Moto etc. 

Screenshot_20201018-075036.png

So I have to find the original bracket ? I can’t seem to find where I can buy it 

57 minutes ago, Nick225 said:

So I have to find the original bracket ? I can’t seem to find where I can buy it 

I don't think there is an original bracket, just take off the black one, you might need new bolts.

• Helpful 3

32 minutes ago, motovita said:

I don't think there is an original bracket, just take off the black one, you might need new bolts.

You are correct sir. Original "bracket" is part of fork. G

Pull black extender bracket and bolt the caliper to the forks... The bolts holding the caliper to the black extender should be the stock bolts. 

Edited by RichieGoatGruff
  • Like 1

The black piece is the caliper carrier which goes between the forks and the caliper. The carrier has the holes for the slider pins that the caliper moves on.

You will HAVE to replace the black carrier you have which is for an oversized rotor for a stock carrier. You can't just bolt the caliper to the forks. The caliper mounts on the slider pins which mount to the carrier.

No one just sells an "extender" to space the stock carrier out.

In the pick below is a stock carrier for a Honda CRF450, with an oversized EBC 280mm mount. The large hole to the bottom is where the pin mounted to the caliper goes in. You can see the sliding pin that mounts on the carrier on the stock Honda part, with the corresponding hole in the EBC carrier.

You will HAVE to find a stock carrier (used assembly as linked above off eBay) OR buy the correct diameter oversized rotor to work with the bracket you have. As your rotor is already screwed with being overheated from the wrong contact patch on the pads, I would buy a bigger rotor and new pads.

1018201237.jpg

1 hour ago, eastreich said:

The black piece is the caliper carrier which goes between the forks and the caliper. The carrier has the holes for the slider pins that the caliper moves on.

You will HAVE to replace the black carrier you have which is for an oversized rotor for a stock carrier. You can't just bolt the caliper to the forks. The caliper mounts on the slider pins which mount to the carrier.

In the pick below is a stock carrier for a Honda CRF450, with an oversized EBC 280mm mount. The large hole to the bottom is where the pin mounted to the caliper goes in. You can see the sliding pin that mounts on the carrier on the stock Honda part, with the corresponding hole in the EBC carrier.

You will HAVE to find a stock carrier (used assembly as linked above off eBay) OR buy the correct diameter oversized rotor to work with the bracket you have. As your rotor is already screwed with being overheated from the wrong contact patch on the pads, I would buy a bigger rotor and new pads.

1018201237.jpg

Mine does. When I  put on the sumo wheels, I unbolt the caliper, install the extender, and bolt the caliper to the extender...

2 minutes ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Mine does. When I  put on the sumo wheels, I unbolt the caliper, install the extender, and bolt the caliper to the extender...

Doesn't work that way for dirt. Never has, never will. For a 320mm sumo, sure for a cheapo conversion but another flex point/2 more bolts in the braking system is not good engineering. A bracket to move another bracket is a cheap band aid.

When going 10mm out from a stock 260 to at most a 280 there isnt enough room to do that with a spacer as the 2 holes are in different relation to the centerline of the wheel. Even at that, if you move one hole 10mm with an 8mm diameter thread the 2mm between them isn't enough for a solid/safe mount. Easy failure point. On the 270mm rotors I use the holes would interfere with each other.

The OPs black anodized part is a carrier, not a simple spacer.

3 hours ago, eastreich said:

1018201237.jpg

How do I figure out what size rotor I need 

5 minutes ago, Nick225 said:

How do I figure out what size rotor I need 

Measure the widest part of your brake pad that isn't touching the rotor you've got. Take that measurement, double it as that is on the radius and add it to the current diameter of the rotor you have now. That is will be the diameter of the rotor the setup you have is meant to fit.

Just as an example, if your current rotor is 260mm, and the pad has 10mm that isn't touching the rotor, double the 10mm and you need a 280mm rotor.

• Helpful 1

13 hours ago, eastreich said:

Measure the widest part of your brake pad that isn't touching the rotor you've got. Take that measurement, double it as that is on the radius and add it to the current diameter of the rotor you have now. That is will be the diameter of the rotor the setup you have is meant to fit.

Just as an example, if your current rotor is 260mm, and the pad has 10mm that isn't touching the rotor, double the 10mm and you need a 280mm rotor.

I am getting about 8mm in used pads and I currently have 250mm on there so should I go 270mm rotors ?? 

6 minutes ago, Nick225 said:

I am getting about 8mm in used pads and I currently have 250mm on there so should I go 270mm rotors ?? 

That is correct!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eastreich said:

That is correct!

Cheers wasn’t sure because it isn’t exactly 10mm