How to do a break-in in the right way ?

Hello guys,

i create this topic to have your opinion on how to do a good break-in on his dirtbike. I have a brand new Kawasaki 250 kx 2021 and i read the owner manual, they say in first 20 minutes within 1/2 throttle opening and then 40 minutes within 3/4 throttle opening. In my opinion it seems i little bit short, it's only 1 hour. What do you think about it ?  

After those two periods put 2 hours on it putting around!! Change the oil and you will be good to go! 

2 hours ago, Aundrey Tran said:

After those two periods put 2 hours on it putting around!! Change the oil and you will be good to go! 

I was thinking about this yes. I made a heating cycle of 5 minutes at idle and 30 minutes at stop to cool down that I repeated 3 times, then I drove for 20 minutes with the throttle open to 1/2 as said on the manual, tomorrow I will open the throttle a little more, I'll do this on one or two fills to be sure then I'll use it normally.

Just now, Hans Schmid said:

Ride it for an hour, never lugging to low and never revving too high...break in done! Change oil and ride like normal...

yes i think this is the best way to do a break-in, ride normally, not to low, not to high. I did this on my last Kawi. I also change the filter and the oil at the end.

The biggest thing imo is not to let it idle, or cruise at steady throttle. Always either accelerating, or decelerating. I generally do this;

Start and run 'till hot with gentle 'blipping' of the throttle.

Let cool. Check head torque and give it a quick once over.

Ride around 10 minutes with very light throttle (1/4ish).

Let cool. give it another quick once over.

Ride under 1/2 throttle for 20 mins.

Let cool.

Same again, working up to 3/4 throttle towards the end of the session.

Let cool.

Same again, though this time working up to full throttle by the end of the session.

Let 'er cool and give it a quick once over, then go for it.

It's just the method I use, that seems to work well.

This is for 'proper' dirt bikes.

Things like XRs etc I'd run in for a lot longer, more like a roadbike.

The instruction that I got with My newly replated cylinder;

Do not allow the engine rpm to exceed idle speed for the first 5 minutes. (up to 25% over)

Check for leaks etc.

Run 30-45 minutes on light throttle.

Cool. Re-torque head.

Run a further 30 mins on light throttle.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

37 minutes ago, Bastien Trdf said:

Is it serious ? because it's seem more like a troll than another thing. Even in the owner manual they say to open the throttle at 1/2 and then at 3/4 but they say to not going to hard in the break-in.

That has been around for a while. It has a fairly big following among roadbike guys, at least on the forums I used to be on.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, DEATH_INC. said:

The biggest thing imo is not to let it idle, or cruise at steady throttle. Always either accelerating, or decelerating. I generally do this;

Let cool. Check head torque and give it a quick once over.

Ride around 10 minutes with very light throttle (1/4ish).

Let cool. give it another quick once over.

Ride under 1/2 throttle for 20 mins.

Let cool.

Same again, working up to 3/4 throttle towards the end of the session.

Let cool.

Same again, though this time working up to full throttle by the end of the session.

Let 'er cool and give it a quick once over, then go for it.

It's just the method I use, that seems to work well.

This is for 'proper' dirt bikes.

Things like XRs etc I'd run in for a lot longer, more like a roadbike.

The instruction that I got with My newly replated cylinder;

Do not allow the engine rpm to exceed idle speed for the first 5 minutes. (up to 25% over)

Check for leaks etc.

Run 30-45 minutes on light throttle.

Cool. Re-torque head.

Run a further 30 mins on light throttle.

So for you, it's useless or bad to make " warm cycle " ?

1 minute ago, Bastien Trdf said:

So for you, it's useless or bad to make " warm cycle " ?

I don't understand? do you mean this bit? It's very important. In fact warming the bike properly each time you ride it is.

1 hour ago, DEATH_INC. said:

4 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

I don't understand? do you mean this bit? It's very important. In fact warming the bike properly each time you ride it is.

I mean, in some review or testimony I read that it’s important to make warm cycle before use the bike and during the break-in. It is described like 5 min of idling then 30 minutes cooling, and repeat this 3 times 

Edited by Bastien Trdf

1 minute ago, Bastien Trdf said:

I mean, in some review or testimony I read that it’s important to make warm cycle before use the bike and during the break-in. It is described like 5 min of idling the 30 minutes cooling, repeat this 3 times 

Gotcha. I believe 1 warmup cycle is enough. Not smooth idling though, like I said, I like to very gently 'blip the throttle, maybe 500 ish rpm up and down. Cooling time is whatever it takes to be cold, 10 minutes on some bikes, 1/2 hour on others. All the other cycles warm it up the same way before you start riding.

4 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Gotcha. I believe 1 warmup cycle is enough. Not smooth idling though, like I said, I like to very gently 'blip the throttle, maybe 500 ish rpm up and down. Cooling time is whatever it takes to be cold, 10 minutes on some bikes, 1/2 hour on others. All the other cycles warm it up the same way before you start riding.

Yes I think too. Today I rode it for 20 minutes at 1/2. Tomorrow I’ll follow your instruction. Your not the first person who say that is important to not let the bike cruise in the same throttle position. I think it’s more about intensity than throttle

thank you and sorry for my bad English I certainly sound dumb or something it’s because I’m French ahah

• Like 1

I'll agree with Pat ..   I never take it easy on a fresh race engine .  Car , or bike.  . Rings seat under pressure .  7/8 % throttle  usually in 3 rd. Gear on bikes  .  Top gear in cars ,  usually have low gearing for acceleration ..    80 % of red line ,  down to  idle then back up to 80% .  10 - 15  cycles on bikes ,  20 - 25 on cars ....  makes me feel better , seems to work ...

• Like 1

If it is new follow Honda's guidance, after all they designed, tested, and have a history of warranty work to know what is best. Breakin stuff has changed over the years as new materials and better quality control have emerged to allow faster breakins.