Erin D

Trail bikes for women- suggestions for next bike?

Hey all, I tried posting this before I registered and still don't see it on here- so hopefully it doesn't double post, apologies in advance if it does.

I just recently started riding this past year and am enjoying every minute of it, I regret not being bit by the bug sooner. My boyfriend bought me a used TTR125 that I absolutely love but I have to face facts that it's time to get something a little bigger with better components.  

Im a petite adult, 5'4 and 112lbs and feel like Im in a bit of dirtbike purgatory trying to find something that hits all of the marks. Bikes my size don't seem to come with any upgraded suspension or brakes, CRF and new TTRs seem like they haven't really changed their bikes in a while, with new TTRs having similar brakes and suspension as what I have on my current one. While we have been searching the ends of the internet for new options, I have no problems considering a used bike if it has everything we are looking for. We have looked at Yamaha to Husqvarna to Sherco and everything in between it seems. Pricing is not so much a factor as much as suitability.

We have been riding every week, the terrain where we ride is generally pretty rocky. We do trails and single track, if I had to label my skill level Id say Ive graduated from new rider to novicey. Im still very much learning and am a work in progress, but I guess thats the way it will always be if Im doing it right. But I definitely don't need anything with crazy amounts of power, Im trying to avoid killing myself 🙂 

The four main things we are looking for (feel like Im forgetting something!):

1) Upgraded suspension and brakes

2) A seat height that can be adjusted to 32"-33" (33" is absolute max)

3) Must have an electric start

4) Reasonable amount of power, nothing crazy. Goal is to ride trails, do single track, I will never race or do anything that requires high rates of speed

It feels like we have searched to the end of the internet and can't find anything that hits all the marks. The only bike we have come across that appears to, on paper, have what Im searching for is the SSR but I have my hesitations about buying a chinese bike (preconceived notions about chinese made products, nothing based on fact of the actual bike itself).

Anyone have any good suggestions? My boyfriend has a KTM and we just checked on those, it seems like there is a new KTM 125 XC 2021, and it seems a little too big still and a little too powerful (going by the SX rated at 38 hp). But maybe Im being too conservative? I dunno- any insight would be appreciated- thanks!

3 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

I think you may like the CRF-150 line. Check them out.

Hey there:) That is a really good option that keeps catching my eye, but it doesn't have an electric start. Thank you though!

• Like 1

I think a TTR230 may check all the boxes for you.  

CRF250F may as well.  You may need to cut the seat to reach your seat height max.  

I’m not aware of any bike out there that will have 11-12” of suspension and a seat height anywhere near 33” unless you drop down to some thing like a a YZ85 but then, no magic button.  

Good luck in your search. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Erin D said:

Hey there:) That is a really good option that keeps catching my eye, but it doesn't have an electric start. Thank you though!

That's one of the reasons l like it lol, everyone likes different stuff. It shouldn't be hard at all to start. Just something to think about...

The Beta RRS-250 seems to be pretty cool, and very reasonably priced.

The CRF250F is a decent choice.  More power and faster than a ttr230, estart with EFI, disc brakes and while not the greatest suspension it's good for trails. It is a little tall at 34.8 inches, but short of getting a big wheel mini they'll either be taller or have spindly forks.   The klx230r is even taller at over 36" seat, but won't offer a suspension upgrade over the crf.

There is always the option of changing the suspension. Just an idea, but what bout something like a CRF230, with modded suspension? If you look through the CRF forum. Those guys do all sorts of mods to make 'em better. Not ideal I know, but when you're small sometimes there are no other options.

1 hour ago, Erin D said:

Have you tried a kick start bike? It's really not that big of a deal if it's not too tall for you. The little 150 will start pretty easy.

The only other option I can think of off the top of My head is the older (not electric-but electric start) KTM freeride. still 36" seat height, but you can get a lower seat (or at least you could).

2016-KTM-Freeride-250R1.jpg?d=1&i=1

Edit; There is also the Yamaha TW200, not sure if it's your thing, but it's an option. 31" seat height.

2011-yamaha-tw200-3.jpg

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

There is always the option of changing the suspension. Just an idea, but what bout something like a CRF230, with modded suspension? If you look through the CRF forum. Those guys do all sorts of mods to make 'em better. Not ideal I know, but when you're small sometimes there are no other options.

Have you tried a kick start bike? It's really not that big of a deal if it's not too tall for you. The little 150 will start pretty easy.

The only other option I can think of off the top of My head is the older (not electric-but electric start) KTM freeride. still 36" seat height, but you can get a lower seat (or at least you could).

2016-KTM-Freeride-250R1.jpg?d=1&i=1

Thanks so much, I just mentioned that Freeride to my boyfriend and he said they are awesome but seems like they are super hard to find for sale. That sounds like it would be a great option though so Ill have to start really looking. Awesome 🙂

And with the kickstart, I really do not want to worry about it. If I stall out halfway up a rocky hill the last thing I want to worry about is kickstarting the darn thing. Its just one less thing on my mental checklist (old dogs, new tricks) lol. Plus we stop a lot on the trails for us to talk over things coming up or for him to explain something to me, so it really is a deal breaker for me. 

Thanks so much for the insight though, Id love a KTM!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diverdown said:

Life's short, bust out the America Express!👍 

Ohhh I have no problems dropping money on this! Its the less expensive of my hobbies and it has brought me so much happiness in a year that has been difficult for all of us- in my mind that's priceless! And I very much appreciate your input- thank you 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Beta Xtrainer. It's a 300, but the motor is tuned for very linear delivery, the seat height is 35.8 but lots of options for lowering, electric start, light weight, perfect for slower rocky terrain. Also they look awesome this year. 

Screenshot_20201018-144530_Chrome.jpg

That looks totally badass. I know we were checking them out, we may have looked right past it because it's a 300? Ill go back and look again, maybe we missed something. Thank you very much!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bweighmaster said:

CRF 150 F  IS E START AFTER  07 ......

As for newer bikes all I could find was the CRF 150R and that has no electric start, Ill take a look at the CRF 150F though thank you 🙂 

• Like 1

In checking out the 2021 KLX140 line, I stumbled across the R F and it does look like it has an upgraded suspension over the other two 140 models. Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/klr-klx/off-road/klx140r/2021-klx140r-f?cm_re=MPP-_-KLX®140R:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

There are two dealerships in reasonable driving distance that have them in stock, we will probably go check them out this week. 

In the meantime Im going to check out the Beta XTrainer and dig more into the KTM Freeride. Thank you all so much for the suggestions and perspective- I really appreciate it, this is great!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Erin D said:

Ohhh I have no problems dropping money on this! Its the less expensive of my hobbies and it has brought me so much happiness in a year that has been difficult for all of us- in my mind that's priceless! And I very much appreciate your input- thank you 🙂 

Your wolcome, got any sisters? Just kidding lol. Good luck finding...

2 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

Your wolcome, got any sisters? Just kidding lol. Good luck finding...

Haha I do, but you couldn't pay her to get on a dirt bike! And thank you, you guys have really gotten us on some good tracks here so Im feeling pretty good about finding a match.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erin D said:

Hey all, I tried posting this before I registered and still don't see it on here- so hopefully it doesn't double post, apologies in advance if it does.

I just recently started riding this past year and am enjoying every minute of it, I regret not being bit by the bug sooner. My boyfriend bought me a used TTR125 that I absolutely love but I have to face facts that it's time to get something a little bigger with better components.  

Im a petite adult, 5'4 and 112lbs and feel like Im in a bit of dirtbike purgatory trying to find something that hits all of the marks. Bikes my size don't seem to come with any upgraded suspension or brakes, CRF and new TTRs seem like they haven't really changed their bikes in a while, with new TTRs having similar brakes and suspension as what I have on my current one. While we have been searching the ends of the internet for new options, I have no problems considering a used bike if it has everything we are looking for. We have looked at Yamaha to Husqvarna to Sherco and everything in between it seems. Pricing is not so much a factor as much as suitability.

We have been riding every week, the terrain where we ride is generally pretty rocky. We do trails and single track, if I had to label my skill level Id say Ive graduated from new rider to novicey. Im still very much learning and am a work in progress, but I guess thats the way it will always be if Im doing it right. But I definitely don't need anything with crazy amounts of power, Im trying to avoid killing myself 🙂 

The four main things we are looking for (feel like Im forgetting something!):

1) Upgraded suspension and brakes

2) A seat height that can be adjusted to 32"-33" (33" is absolute max)

3) Must have an electric start

4) Reasonable amount of power, nothing crazy. Goal is to ride trails, do single track, I will never race or do anything that requires high rates of speed

It feels like we have searched to the end of the internet and can't find anything that hits all the marks. The only bike we have come across that appears to, on paper, have what Im searching for is the SSR but I have my hesitations about buying a chinese bike (preconceived notions about chinese made products, nothing based on fact of the actual bike itself).

Anyone have any good suggestions? My boyfriend has a KTM and we just checked on those, it seems like there is a new KTM 125 XC 2021, and it seems a little too big still and a little too powerful (going by the SX rated at 38 hp). But maybe Im being too conservative? I dunno- any insight would be appreciated- thanks!

No kick starting? Heck spar, thats what motor-cycling is all about. Id throw in my 2 cents but your mind is made up on e-starting. For us folks that live on da edge, might I suggest the mighty, KDX-200. The ultimate trail bike...

big-kawasaki-kmx-200-1989-200116.jpg

• Helpful 1

Yeah, forgot about the KLX-140, they look sweet!...Hell I'd rock one, little bikes are fun and very capable.

Edited by Diverdown

21 minutes ago, Erin D said:

In checking out the 2021 KLX140 line, I stumbled across the R F and it does look like it has an upgraded suspension over the other two 140 models. Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/klr-klx/off-road/klx140r/2021-klx140r-f?cm_re=MPP-_-KLX®140R:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

There are two dealerships in reasonable driving distance that have them in stock, we will probably go check them out this week. 

In the meantime Im going to check out the Beta XTrainer and dig more into the KTM Freeride. Thank you all so much for the suggestions and perspective- I really appreciate it, this is great!

Stay away from the R bike40s .   Race bikes ,  not what you need .   KLX 140 is  OK , sold mine , vibrator .   Went with  2016  TTR 125 L E .   .  Not a screamer , but great for trailing with grandson ...  Shocks set at mildest setting for me ,  5'5"  150 lb.   ....