So; switched to a 300rr after 11 years on a Husky WR250 2t.  I am having a very difficult time with the 300rr.  Did anyone find that riding this bike is different from others as far as body position etc?  I tend toward single track trails.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

They want you to be forward, chin over the bars, or standing. Rev it less, use less clutch, surf the torque and let the front end roll like a down hill Mt bike. That trail looks pretty fun. 

That's pretty much my riding style.  Nutz on the tank on my Husky, twist and go.  Not feeling it on this bike.  Have noticed that it's more a "4 stroke" feel vs. my husky which was more MX so I am having to back off my throttle hand a bit.

Edited by jasonmcpherson05
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, jasonmcpherson05 said:

That's pretty much my riding style.  Nutz on the tank on my Husky, twist and go.  Not feeling it on this bike.  Have noticed that it's more a "4 stroke" feel vs. my husky which was more MX so I am having to back off my throttle hand a bit.

Yeah it's obvious in the video you are used to a 250. It took me about two long days to read what the bike wanted and adapt. I came off a woods modded yz250. Grab the next gear and stay off the clutch, that bike WILL NOT STALL. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Yeah it's obvious in the video you are used to a 250. It took me about two long days to read what the bike wanted and adapt. I came off a woods modded yz250. Grab the next gear and stay off the clutch, that bike WILL NOT STALL. 

And I that was me breaking in the motor yesterday too LOL.  I've got about 12 hours on the bike (this is a warranty motor after a main bearing failure).  I am also struggling with the front end too.

The trail is one of my favorites.  Not heavily traveled so we try and keep it that way.  Especially nice as it's about 1 hour from my house...  Fall is my favorite time to ride.  Tough to find the trail is the added adventure from being color blind!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And I that was me breaking in the motor yesterday too LOL.  I've got about 12 hours on the bike (this is a warranty motor after a main bearing failure).  I am also struggling with the front end too.

The front end feels light and flighty until you start rolling it. I literally envision the motor as a gravity device that controls my descent speed and just try to rail the front end like a bicycle. Trying to square off and rev out like a 250 does not work well, too much instant torque. The good news is 3rd gear will pull from a stop, so you can settle the front end by staying out of the lower gears, especially on tight, slick stuff like that video. After 11 years, you'll need to unlearn in order to adapt to a totally different set up. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

The front end feels light and flighty until you start rolling it. I literally envision the motor as a gravity device that controls my descent speed and just try to rail the front end like a bicycle. Trying to square off and rev out like a 250 does not work well, too much instant torque. The good news is 3rd gear will pull from a stop, so you can settle the front end by staying out of the lower gears, especially on tight, slick stuff like that video. After 11 years, you'll need to unlearn in order to adapt to a totally different set up. 

"The front end feels light and flighty"  - YES!!!!!!

"until you start rolling it" - I don't get what you are trying to say....

"Trying to square off and rev out like a 250 does not work well, too much instant torque."  I have realized that too. 

Well, I'm glad to know it's not unusual; I am really trying to like this bike but it's been a struggle...  I realize it's me and not the bike as there are way too many people that love them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jasonmcpherson05 said:

"The front end feels light and flighty"  - YES!!!!!!

"until you start rolling it" - I don't get what you are trying to say....

"Trying to square off and rev out like a 250 does not work well, too much instant torque."  I have realized that too. 

Well, I'm glad to know it's not unusual; I am really trying to like this bike but it's been a struggle...  I realize it's me and not the bike as there are way too many people that love them.

Sorry man, just my version of the right 'swing thought' for this platform. The bike wants a more relaxed riding style, smaller inputs will get you where you want to be. Less braking, less throttle, higher gear, let the front end roll through the corners like you're on a fast, loose, rocky downhill on your husky. You'll adapt, just looks like you're trying to force the bike into being a 250 in the video haha. 

• Like 2

Had a 2014 Husky WR300. The Husky was sharper turning than my 15 300RR so the Beta is more raked out. The Beta has more torque and a nice usable transmission compared to the Husky.

First half of your video it appeared to work great! Second half after small log crossing is where things didn't go so well. Are you gripping too hard? You appeared to relive the throttle hand at the end. Lighter touch which could come from less revving and more lugging. I know the `18+ primary gearing is lower than mine but maybe gear it down some too to aid in slow lugging. I used to have 13/51 and then switched to 13/50. The loss of one tooth is very noticeable to me in the slower trails.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Sorry man, just my version of the right 'swing thought' for this platform. The bike wants a more relaxed riding style, smaller inputs will get you where you want to be. Less braking, less throttle, higher gear, let the front end roll through the corners like you're on a fast, loose, rocky downhill on your husky. You'll adapt, just looks like you're trying to force the bike into being a 250 in the video haha. 

"smaller inputs will get you where you want to be." - Yes to that as well.  My husky needed influence, this bike will spin around like a top with that kind of man handling.

"trying to force the bike into being a 250" - I guess the constant "I have to stop doing that" all day yesterday tells me this as well.  Dumping the clutch after revving it up just results in me being where I don't want to be...  In more flowing stuff as in the video it's fine but its the hairpin type turns etc... where I find the most trouble. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Had a 2014 Husky WR300. The Husky was sharper turning than my 15 300RR so the Beta is more raked out. The Beta has more torque and a nice usable transmission compared to the Husky.

First half of your video it appeared to work great! Second half after small log crossing is where things didn't go so well. Are you gripping too hard? You appeared to relive the throttle hand at the end. Lighter touch which could come from less revving and more lugging. I know the `18+ primary gearing is lower than mine but maybe gear it down some too to aid in slow lugging. I used to have 13/51 and then switched to 13/50. The loss of one tooth is very noticeable to me in the slower trails.

I have 14/52 gearing right now so pretty close.  Yes, the beta has WWWWAAAYYYY more torque than my WR250...  That thing was an 80cc on the bottom! 

No; dorked up my elbow splitting wood the other day...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would echo the comments above. Smoother right hand, up a gear through the trees & let the bottom end pull the bike around. Because of the torque, you can use less clutch & just roll on the throttle. Your relatively short final gearing will amplify what you are feeling, too. Maybe drop 2 teeth on the back when it’s time for new chain & sprockets? 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

9 minutes ago, Matthew Larson said:

Make sure the power valve is screwed in 3 full turns from flush. 

That's the other thing I'm trying to figure out.  Never had a bike with an adjustable power valve. 

I know flush = "Holy &%$#@!"...  I would reserve that for open ORV trail not the stuff I like to ride.

• Like 1

Haha. Yeah, flush hits much MUCH different on mine. Start with 3 full turns in. Then ride it for a while. You were on a 250 so likely used to the hit, but the 300 on a single track is a tractor not a race car. Ride it doing what it’s good at. 

For single track most people are running theirs turned in 1-3 full turns 

• Helpful 1

8 minutes ago, Matthew Larson said:

Haha. Yeah, flush hits much MUCH different on mine. Start with 3 full turns in. Then ride it for a while. You were on a 250 so likely used to the hit, but the 300 on a single track is a tractor not a race car. Ride it doing what it’s good at. 

For single track most people are running theirs turned in 1-3 full turns 

What spring color as well?

What spring color as well?

White and yellow are the most mellow opening springs I believe. Which IMO you might want. I believe white is the most mellow?

• Helpful 2

1 minute ago, MateoMatt said:

White and yellow are the most mellow opening springs I believe. Which IMO you might want. I believe white is the most mellow?

Thanks!  I'm going mellow and working my way up then; apparently I need Beta training wheels...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jasonmcpherson05 said:

So; switched to a 300rr after 11 years on a Husky WR250 2t.  I am having a very difficult time with the 300rr.  Did anyone find that riding this bike is different from others as far as body position etc?  I tend toward single track trails.

Try moving your handlebars to furthest forward hole in the triple clamps to try too or at least play around with ergos to adjust ergos a little. Raise the forks in the triple lamps a little maybe? It’s the regular setup stuff to try. I changed from stock tires and that made a huge improvement for here. I’ve had zero problems adapting from my cr 250 Honda with heavier flywheel weight and modded for enduro Or my Gasgas 300 ec. No need fooling too much with powervalve settings . But go ahead it’s easy. Just turn with an 8 hex and try. I did in the beginning and then just put it in the middle somewhere. It’s not that big a difference to me but it is different. Ride higher gears low mid rpm and maybe a little on top in longer straights. Take advantage of the torque. Watch some vids of top guys riding 300’s in hard enduro etc. They ride typical vet rider style low rpm in high gears. Not mx style. Just mentioning some things to try. Some been mentioned before some not. Congrats on your bike. It’s little by little adapting and setting to what you prefer. Thanks for the vid!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider