_JC_

Best thumb throttle kit

Anyone who converted have an opinion? I'm looking at the Inoveli and it's impressive but wondering about other options. I had a broken wrist last year and I've had trouble controlling the throttle even more than usual. Being at least 6 inches too tall for every bike ever assembled doesn't help and stand up riding I lose throttle control way too often if doing anything fun. Figured I'd try a thumber and see what happens, hoping for some input. Thanks! 

Edit: If you don't think thumb throttles belong on a motorcycle feel free to scroll on and find another post to comment on. Not interested in the thumb/twist debate I've already decided. Doesn't mean it's permanent or I won't hate it but I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

Edited by _JC_

1 minute ago, GSP2 said:

There is a reason why you don’t see thumb throttles on motorcycles. 

There seems to be a lot of people with thumb throttles according to the posts around here and seems to be a common solution for wrist/arm injuries. I've heard of at least one pro doing this and racing the whole season due to an injury. Just looking for suggestions from people with experience doing a conversion.  

Ya might look into the MTB world....they got gear shifting and remote levers for dropper posts. Generally the dropper posts are a LH application, but if I were in your position, I'd take a look. Otherwise, there are lots of ebay parts available for ATV's. 

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Just buy a kwad, they come with a thumb throttle. Or put in the work to rehab your wrist. A thumb throttle on a bike is like a fish on a bicycle. Good luck. 

I will buy a quad if that's the only way I can keep riding, trying hard to stay on two wheels hoped for some good suggestions. 

I wasn’t trying to be a tool bag. I think you may be setting yourself up for another injury if your wrist is already compromised.  You will not have a solid grip on the right side and any sort of off-roading, single tracks, Mx... may not give you the desired results that you are after.  

Now if you just plan to hit fire roads and the like, that environment would most likely be ok.  

29 minutes ago, GSP2 said:

I wasn’t trying to be a tool bag. I think you may be setting yourself up for another injury if your wrist is already compromised.  You will not have a solid grip on the right side and any sort of off-roading, single tracks, Mx... may not give you the desired results that you are after.  

Now if you just plan to hit fire roads and the like, that environment would most likely be ok.  

I get it. I've read lots of thumb throttle posts and heard all the negatives. Not trying to get injured again but I got bucked off recently over stuff I normally handle just fine because I'm not strong enough to handle vertical transitions and have limited movement with a brace. I'm pretty careful and ride below my ability most of the time so even dropping a bike is rare for me. I've now limited myself to riding around the trails and watching everyone else hit the fun stuff. Don't know when or if I'll have full ability so I feel like it's worth a shot to try something different.

Could you get a short pull throttle? The ones where wide open is only 25 percent of the throttle pull.  it would make it a lot less twisting motion on the wrist. 

• Like 1

My buddy put one on off his old racing quad.  He hates the twist throttle and after racing quads for so long,that's what he's comfortable with. He's on a husky 350 now. I'll see what he used and get back. He used a spare Trx450 throttle, but going to this one next.

https://urmosi.com/product/factory-edition

Edited by Edgecombe
  • Like 1

Like Edgecombe said, I raced quads for 20+ years and recently converted to a bike.  Twist throttle was not comfortable for me and I put a thumb throttle on my FX350.  A thumb throttle uses a single throttle cable vs. a dual cable set-up on a twist, so you have to fab up a plug for the now open hole in the throttle body/carb.   I was able to use a stock Honda TRX450 cable, but every bike is different, so it may be trial and error on proper cable length. 

I really like these and will probably switch to one soon. 

625BAE97-B798-49D7-81A6-8F900BCA58A6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Dbnicely said:

Like Edgecombe said, I raced quads for 20+ years and recently converted to a bike.  Twist throttle was not comfortable for me and I put a thumb throttle on my FX350.  A thumb throttle uses a single throttle cable vs. a dual cable set-up on a twist, so you have to fab up a plug for the now open hole in the throttle body/carb.   I was able to use a stock Honda TRX450 cable, but every bike is different, so it may be trial and error on proper cable length. 

I really like these and will probably switch to one soon. 

Thank you, the one in the link is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Nice 350 by the way it's a candidate on my next bike list.  I'd be putting this on a '14 250 xcf-w so might be similar cable length. 

• Like 1

You should be fine with any quad lever off of ebay cause you can use screws to adjust for cable lengh just make sure it has return option so if something goes u can atleast get money back. I am going to say tho since i have had wrist problem from playing sports if you go for this style its gonna make it a lot more sketchy as your gonna have your thumb off and just the 4 fingers to grip will make your wrist heal slower or even worse haev problems with it in future. 

Just my 2 cents on this

Never given this any thought before, but what about using a finger throttle like Jet Ski’s use. I am an avid jet skier as well as a dirt biker. The advantage as I’m thinking it about with a finger throttle over a thumb throttle is that your thumb is still holding the handlebars with 3 of your fingers while your index finger operates the throttle. The few times that I have ridden a work quad I’ve thought a finger throttle would be preferred to the thumb throttle for me at least.

Power to you for looking for a solution to keep you on 2 wheels! Good luck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GB1073 said:

Never given this any thought before, but what about using a finger throttle like Jet Ski’s use. I am an avid jet skier as well as a dirt biker. The advantage as I’m thinking it about with a finger throttle over a thumb throttle is that your thumb is still holding the handlebars with 3 of your fingers while your index finger operates the throttle. The few times that I have ridden a work quad I’ve thought a finger throttle would be preferred to the thumb throttle for me at least.

You would have to readjust or take out the front brakes tho

4 hours ago, GB1073 said:

I like it. Haven't found anyone who has done this or much information. Seems like it would be easier to control, maybe rotate the throttle downward 30-40 degrees from the brake. If that can made to fit I really like the idea.