Sign in to follow this  

What to buy, 400 or 300

Would someone be so kind as to contrast the KLX 300, vs. the 400's for me? I live in the Pacific NW, so we're talking tight and slippery single track. Plus I plan to at least put a plate on it so I can explore with my dual sport buddies, maybe even a little 2 up with the little lady, plus I live in a ranger district with ~500 miles of trail, with 3 trailheads less than .1 of a mile from my door. I'm 5'9" 170#, no recent dirt bike experience (used to ride a Husky big bore), but hundreds of miles of single track on my mountain bike.

I am considering both the DRZ400 and KLX300R for trail riding. The KLX has alot of desirable features. Only 232 pounds (60 pounds lighter than DRZ). Good suspension and chassis. There are kits to punch out the KLX to 390cc.

The DRZ has alot more power out of the box, but heavy. Its easier to add horsepower than remove 60# of weight. The KLX is a great starting platform for a great trail bike. With power mods and suspension upgrade, IMO it would be fantastic value.

I did this research not too long ago and ended up with the 400 for many reasons:

1. 300 is an old, old design

2. 300 is slow

3. 300 is just an attempt to make the klx250 acceptable

4. 400 is faster reving

5. 400 has a lot more power stock

6. for the same money to punch out a 300 you could do the same for the 400

7. 400 has a more active aftermarket

8. most importantly, the 400 has THE BUTTON

Case closed

BTW, there is not that much difference in weight between the 400E and the 300 (compare apples to apples here, the S is street legal)

Just my opinion and you are more than welcome to disagree with it, I just don't want to hear it. :thumbsup: