XR200 XR200r oil pump screws

Has anyone replaced the phillips type JIS screws that hold the oil pump and rotary filter cover with allen bolts? The oem screws are pretty soft and easily warped or stripped even with a new bit in an impact driver. Is there an upgrade to these parts? Thanks for any info shared.

8 hours ago, hornet10 said:

Has anyone replaced the phillips type JIS screws that hold the oil pump and rotary filter cover with allen bolts? The oem screws are pretty soft and easily warped or stripped even with a new bit in an impact driver. Is there an upgrade to these parts? Thanks for any info shared.

Heat it.

I did have to do some extra work to get them out cleanly. Chisel a high spot and small punch worked well on filter screws. Had to drill pump screws. No damage to other parts. Rather not have to do that again. Seeking pro's and cons to replacing with allen head screws. I know the taper face is what is holding tight. I also know that tapered allens are higher grade and will be more difficult to drill, chisel or punch if stripped. Has anyone else used allen bolts for this application, or always back to the cheesy stockers?  

1 hour ago, hornet10 said:

I did have to do some extra work to get them out cleanly. Chisel a high spot and small punch worked well on filter screws. Had to drill pump screws. No damage to other parts. Rather not have to do that again. Seeking pro's and cons to replacing with allen head screws. I know the taper face is what is holding tight. I also know that tapered allens are higher grade and will be more difficult to drill, chisel or punch if stripped. Has anyone else used allen bolts for this application, or always back to the cheesy stockers?  

I have not had any issues with the stock screws.  The oil pump screws can be a bear, but how often do you need to remove them? Every 30 years or so?